PDA

View Full Version : Deer Season in Ne!

1Shirt
11-12-2014, 11:10 AM
Deer season in Ne. opens Sat! Temp forecast is for mid teens with snow, possible accumulation of up to 6" where I will be hunting. Twenty five or 30 years ago, I would have welcomed that forecast. Now however as I am 75 yrs young, I am not overly crazy about it!
Long run forecast looks like it will stay in the low teens to low to mid 20's for the entire season. That said, I am glad that at my age I am still able to hunt, and health is not a factor. Lots of folks have hung up their rifles well before my age! So, it is what it is, and sure hope that big buck wanders in on Sat a.m.
1Shirt!:coffee:

freebullet
11-12-2014, 12:42 PM
I hope you get a monster, good luck!

I hate this weather for working in, but the colder the better for deer hunting.

richhodg66
11-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Our season in Kansas opens the Wednesday after Thanksgiving and it seems like it would be 80 degrees the day before, but the bottom is gonna fall out of the thermometer on opening day no matter what. The year before last was unusually mild for opening day, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I hate to be cold, just hate it. And I hate having to bundle up to stay warm almost as much as I hate being cold. I'm really about as far north as I can stand. Sure wish I had tagged two during muzzle loader season in September, I probably wouldn't go out in December (OK, that's a lie, I'd be out there and I know it). I need to start bowhunting again someday to take advantage of the milder periods of the season.

dragon813gt
11-12-2014, 02:51 PM
Last day of archery for buck is this Saturday. Supposed to be 25 in the morning. I hate the cold w/ a passion. I love the early season when I'm sitting in my stand wearing a short sleeve T-shirt. Last years rifle season was warm. Most I've been in the woods during the first week in years. I have to work in the cold all winter so sitting in a stand freezing is close to what I consider hell. To early to know how this year will shape up. Doesn't start until the Monday after Thanksgiving.

ShooterAZ
11-12-2014, 03:16 PM
This time, make sure to take more than just 1Shirt!!!

KCSO
11-12-2014, 03:27 PM
You need the heated blind my Officer just put up. Camo and pop up windows with a easy chair and a space heater. Looks out over 80 acres of lower pasture. Boy I hope he falls asleep in it! If you are hunting up north here you are always welcome.

1Shirt
11-12-2014, 04:11 PM
Hunting south central, south of Hastings near Ka border. Might take you up on that offer sometime, that is sure nice country up there. Hope all is well with you and yours!
1Shirt!

btroj
11-12-2014, 04:17 PM
We won't be any warmer in MO but we aren't forecast to get snow.

cbrick
11-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Season opened here last Saturday. I was gonna go out this morning at 28 degrees BUT when I opened the door to put the dog out and got hit with about a 40 MPH wind that filled the dining room with leaves the dog went alone and I put on another pot of coffee. That temp isn't bad but wind drives me nuts and 28 degrees with that much wind just ain't for me. Calling for snow here next Saturday. Way too early here for this kind of weather.

Rick

btroj
11-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Rick, I am using water dropped range scrap this year. If a deer cooperates I will let you know how it performs. An Accurate 38-265D sitting in top of 27.5 gr of 2400 and some Dacron. Lube is Felix, primer a Fed 215 M.

cbrick
11-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I'll be using air cooled WW RCBS 45 270 from an MP mold in the Ruger 45 Colt 7.5 inch. Tried to shoot it last week and couldn't see the sights in good light, sad. Put a red dot on it & zeroed it at 60 yards a few days ago.

How come your hunting MO and not NE and where in MO?

Rick

DougGuy
11-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I predict it will be suitably warm (in the house) during deer season. I will be using my Farberware chef's knife this year, as I have more than enough venison in the freezer and if I went and got one my GF would string me up because there is no room for it.

Going to make jerky with some, and some of the scotch bonnet and ghost peppers I grew this year. Ought to be eye poppin' good and hot!

Bored1
11-12-2014, 08:14 PM
I hope you get a big one this year! Maybe a set of antlers to rival those springbucks in your office! If nothing appears Sat am, give me a ring, may have to do some sort of hockus pokus deer dance hahahahahahah!!!!:bigsmyl2:

btroj
11-12-2014, 09:24 PM
Rick, my parents own 120 acres in far north central MO. Nearest town is Allendale. Dad and I hunt, Mom is there for moral support and to cook. If Dad cooked I don't know if I would go!

http://i1348.photobucket.com/albums/p733/Btroj/imagejpg1_zps12d41a40.jpg (http://s1348.photobucket.com/user/Btroj/media/imagejpg1_zps12d41a40.jpg.html)

Cabin with heat, real beds, running water. Lots of deer, row crops across the road. Pond is 6 acres and flooded what the locals said was the best deer hunting in the area. Pond funnels deer to either end. Dad will hunt one end, I hunt the other. I sometimes hunt other areas but much is covered in cedars and they are about Impossible to hunt.

MaryB
11-12-2014, 11:07 PM
We used to drive deer in a cedar bottom. The drivers would not even bother carrying a shotgun it was way to thick to even think about shooting. Far end was my friends land and it opened into regular forest at a choke point. 3 shooters could cover it so the rest of us would go in the other end to make a racket and push the deer. More than once a deer would go by us the wrong way because it was so thick you couldn't move to block them. But we usually took 4 deer off of his land for our party of 7, rest we got driving abandoned groves and 1 or 2 would use the stands at his house. My favorite stand there was the kitchen counter blind looking out off the deck 15 feet in the air over a ravine. Hot coffee, stocking feet, no coat... open door shoot deer, go get deer.