PDA

View Full Version : Muck up in wood, er maybe mock up even...

GoodOlBoy
11-12-2014, 07:12 AM
So I have been working off and on with Colin (Stolzerandsons) book on building a lock from scratch, but I decided (now I see just how wise it was) to build a mock up in wood before I even think about cutting into metal. I have never tried to cut detailed mock ups in wood before and I am having HECK finding a decent supply of wood to work with that doesn't splinter, split, crack, or crater. Any ideas? I have managed a nice little box full of shavings, and tinder for starting the fire this year so far....

Oh and thanks again Colin for the book! I can't tell you how much I appreciate it!

GoodOlBoy

dagger dog
11-12-2014, 07:28 AM
I you need to use basswood it's straight grained and carves easily, most hobby stores handle it.

lancem
11-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I you need to use basswood it's straight grained and carves easily, most hobby stores handle it.

^^^^^+1

StolzerandSons
11-12-2014, 11:46 AM
The harder, denser and straighter grain the wood is the less problems you will have with splintering and cracking. Another option besides basswood is very plain(no figure) sugar(rock) maple.

Hope that Helps,

Colin

FrankG
11-12-2014, 12:10 PM
Ive used tablet backing to mock up action parts to work out a pattern .

waksupi
11-12-2014, 12:11 PM
Apple and pear wood have been used for pattern making for many years.

nhrifle
11-12-2014, 01:24 PM
Machinable wax is one of my favorite materials for prototyping.

country gent
11-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Waxes are available for prototype and pattern work. Plastics are also being used at times. Some of the model builders use clay also. Basswood is good.

swathdiver
11-12-2014, 04:34 PM
It's not wood but how about starboard? Or polystyrene sheets that modellers use? Then there's sheet brass too.

GoodOlBoy
11-13-2014, 05:50 AM
thanks guys! I am going to try to get up to a local town today and see what else I can dig up. You have given me some great ideas of things to look at!

GoodOlBoy

mozeppa
11-13-2014, 08:12 AM
we have a plastics company here that just throws away odds & end cut off pieces of delrin plastic into their dumpster.

i go dumpster diving and now have a lifetime supply of delrin in various colors.

delrin is a joy to machine, carving it with a knife by hand can be done with a small degree of difficulty but yes!

it holds its shape perfectly and is durable.