PDA

View Full Version : Traditions kits

Longone
11-12-2014, 12:43 AM
Looking for your thoughts on muzzle loader kits from Traditions? Quality of the parts, fit, ease of assembly, quality and type of wood supplied..........etc.

I've been bitten by this black powder stuff and I figure the winter will be a good time to put together a kit for spring shooting.

Longone

docone31
11-12-2014, 09:10 AM
I have redone some kits in full stocks. Replacement locks can be had from TOW. The only issue is the powder drum. I have had burrs inside the channel make flakes of fouling that restricted firing. I cleaned the burrs, replaced the cleanout screws with Allen flat head screws, and my first one I still have today. No other issues. The one piece stocks are better than the two piece ones.

flyingmonkey35
11-12-2014, 10:49 AM
Hate to say this but cabellas sells a raw kit.

Good place to start.

Tackleberry41
11-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Dont imagine its any different than the CVA one I bought long ago. One of the kentucky rifles. It had issues where the hammer wouldn't fall, just hung there, took some work to get it where it needed to be. As said the powder drum is a flaw in the whole thing. They have the little screw in the side, that after not to long is pretty much unremovable. I doubt I could get the drum out of the barrel without having to drill and tap afterwards.

Mine was a lesson in futility to get it to fire when you wanted it to. Again that drum, to many right angles for that spark to go thru. Real BP solved such issues, this was back when I didnt know there was a difference. And you dont generally just pop down to the local gun store to buy BP. Any sort of sub and it was horribly unreliable, full charge of the real stuff or even a small starter of it and it fires when you want. But there is a noticeable delay between the CVA and my Lyman, with a much better and more direct design for the nipple.

Its not a terrible gun for a first time thing, entry into the fun of ML. It will shoot sabots or RB. But given the choice I would pay extra for a better kit. Unfortunately there is a considerable jump between a traditions kit and well anything else. And will have pretty much no value when your done. The LGS near me wont take sidelocks of any kind, says he cant give em away. I have a really nice Lyman 54 cal made back in the 70s, hard to tell its ever been used. Over $700 right now NIB, best offer I got was $100.

mooman76
11-14-2014, 12:48 AM
The Traditions are better than they used to be. Still bottom of the line but still quality parts and overall gun. I have several old CVAs and Traditions and have not problems with them at all, even with BP substitute. Fires fine, no delays. Traditions would make a good starter kit. There are better ones out there, yes, but still not bad for the money.

Hanshi
11-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Both Traditions and CVA (older CVA at least) are are quite good guns and the barrels are on par with the quality American made barrels. I've owned several of each and killed plenty of deer and squirrels with them. They are very accurate and serviceable rifles though fit and finish isn't the best.

starmac
11-14-2014, 03:46 PM
By golly Tackelberry, I offer 150 bucks for that lyman. At least you can claim a better offer. lol

Tackleberry41
11-14-2014, 03:49 PM
I tried to sell it several ways, its a really nice gun, just not something I use. But for the offers I was getting, just hold onto it. Imagine it would make a pretty good rifle come ML season.

starmac
11-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Personally I like the 54's, and have actually been thinking of trying a 58.
Beeger is always better, right? lol

KCSO
11-15-2014, 04:18 PM
It depnds on WHAT you want to build... The Traditions kit s will build a shootable something but it will not be a correct traditional muzzleloader. If you just want to get your feet wet and build SOMETHING they are fine and if you take off enough excess wood you can ger it to resemble a real gun. If you want a traditional muzzleloader that you can be proud of in any company you need to buy parts and start there. Look at Track of he Wolf for parts kits for real guns and start noticing the difference between the shape and style of the kits there and the el cheapo spanish stuff.