PDA

View Full Version : artic air

waynem34
11-11-2014, 12:59 AM
Going to get cold! Stay warm!With a c.

MaryB
11-11-2014, 01:54 AM
Pellet stove is cranking out the heat on level 2 of 5, 77 in the living room, maybe 74 rest of the house. No plans to go anywhere tonight, roads are bad anyway

Petrol & Powder
11-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Did anyone call Al Gore and ask when that global warming was going to kick in? :-o

I got a kick out of the national news last night. They where using their typical excessive drama, hype and more excessive drama to peddle their nightly dose of fear. In the middle of the story they had a clip from someone in the upper Midwest that succinctly stated that they knew how to deal with the weather and were pressing on as usual. Schools were open, businesses were running and the people were functioning just fine. No big deal, really; ....but thank you very much for asking.
I don't think this is the first time that it has been cold and snowy in the upper mid-west....in NOVEMBER ! If you listened to the propaganda distributors, you would think the world is coming to an end every day.

montana_charlie
11-11-2014, 01:06 PM
I don't think this is the first time that it has been cold and snowy in the upper mid-west....in NOVEMBER ! If you listened to the propaganda distributors, you would think the world is coming to an end every day.
They also don't consider a storm to be any big deal until it has moved as far East as (say) Detroit. From there on to the Atlantic the devastation potential just skyrockets.

They never have any words for the fact that 'this front', which will exterminate humankind between the Mississippi and the Potomac, came through Montana and North Dakota two days ago ... and nobody died.

CM

Love Life
11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Snowmageddon?

Dframe
11-11-2014, 01:32 PM
Yes. We have an "Alberta Clipper" headed our way. When the last one was I don't remember but I DO remember having them periodically long before Al Bore became the king of warmagaedon

MtGun44
11-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Apparently Minnesota has broken the 1898 record for snow. Ya'll stay warm!

The Russians have a saying "There is no bad weather, just bad clothes."
Having gone out for a walk in the evening in Russia for an hour or so after dinner
when it was -25F, but I had "good clothes", I can understand the truth to that.

Where is that man-made global warming when you want it? 29F here now, but they
claim we'll go above freezing. It was 70F yesterday afternoon.

Bill

blackthorn
11-11-2014, 07:54 PM
Just checked the temperature here. 1 degree (C) or 33 (F). Forecast is for clear and cold over the next few days, but nothing much, -4 to -13 (C). Actually not bad for 11 November.

nemesisenforcer
11-11-2014, 08:36 PM
Welcome to weather and imperfection of this mortal world.

iomskp
11-11-2014, 08:50 PM
We are starting to warm up here it is about 28 C or about 82 F nice clear day

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Apparently Minnesota has broken the 1898 record for snow. Ya'll stay warm!
...snip
Yeah, Glencoe only got about 3", the big snow missed Glencoe by about 50 miles :(

23º F here right now and light snow.
right before dusk, I changed oil on the ATV (me, laying in the snow), removed and reinstalled the snow plow(laid in the snow somemore), something wasn't right with the cable lift? and pushed it next door to the car wash and flushed out some of the electrical stuff where some acidy gel remained after the blowup. it was nice and warm inthe carwash...i should have done all that work in there, no one was around anyway...maybe next time...OK, just rambling. I love this Minnesota weather :)
Jon

MaryB
11-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Hardly any snow here west of Redwood Falls, roads were good today when I ran to town for the last of the non-fresh food for Thanksgiving. Stuff for pies, bread cubes for stuffing... only thing left to get is salad greens closer to then. Having a couple friends over, making a little 9 pound bird so not a ton of leftovers.

bayjoe
11-11-2014, 11:19 PM
A whole 13 degrees in southern Colorado right now. Got the wood burning stove going, nice and cozy. Trying not to think about going to work tomorrow

dragon813gt
11-11-2014, 11:22 PM
Snowmageddon?

They use this term and Snowpacslypse to often. I will say it's easier for say Montana to deal w/ a lot of snow due to population density. We have twice the population in three counties compared to the entire state of Montana. A lot of morons on the roads to screw everything up. Unfortunately most seem to forget how to drive in the snow every year. It's an exercise in frustration to get around before/during/after a snowstorm. Wasn't singling Montana out for any particular reason besides population. The closer I am to the Appalachians the more people know how to deal w/ the winter.

MaryB
11-11-2014, 11:24 PM
There were some bad accidents up in the Twin Cities from the snow. People refuse to slow down and as soon as they hit ice they are in a slide and in a panic.

Multigunner
11-12-2014, 04:53 AM
Snowmagedon or Snowpocalyse aren't nearly as scary as "Polarbearnami". Thats when all the polar bears drift south on ice bergs then a sea quake sends them hurtling towards shore in a fifty foot high tangle of PO'ed apex predators.
Coming soon to the Scy Fy channel.

Red China just got on board the clean air train. Not that they had much choice with people dropping like flies from smog in Bejing so thick you could shovel it into a dumpster.

When someone actually comes up with a viable alternative to fossil fuels that will be great, but unless we freeze in the dark all winter theres little that can be done to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.
Instead of these brainiacs working on viable alternative power sources they expect that simply demanding that someone else come up with the answer is somehow going to get the job done.

MaryB
11-12-2014, 11:22 PM
China's air pollution is a combination of dirty coal power plants with no scrubbers and the use of wood/charcoal/coal to cook over. Updating their plants would make a huge difference. I am not against clean air but it has to be tempered by the needs for affordable power.

Petrol & Powder
11-13-2014, 12:07 AM
China didn't agree to anything. Read the what they actually agreed to; they set a possible peak output in the future. Our fearless leader apparently isn't done with his efforts to cripple our economy and decided that it would be a good idea for the U.S. to unilaterally destroy our industry,.... in the hopes that we would serve as a shinning example for China and the rest of the world.

I'm all in favor of reducing pollution and we should be good stewards of the earth, it's the only one we got - BUT it's incredibly naïve to believe other countries will voluntarily elect to harm themselves because they want to be like us. Nations don't act that way in the real world. These are not some hippies siting in a drum circle deciding the course of action for the commune, these are world powers trying to act in their own country's best interest. My dog knows more about foreign affairs than Obama. Of course my dog has more leadership experience as well.

quilbilly
11-13-2014, 12:19 AM
It was 17 this morning on our little piece of the Olympic Peninsula so I don't have to mow the lawn again until April. Wooo Hooo!

silverbackotter
11-13-2014, 12:26 AM
It was -25f this morning here going to elk hunting this weekend...should be interesting.

starmac
11-13-2014, 12:41 AM
LOL, It got up close to forty out in the hills. Way too warm, as the ice was wet and so slick you had to be careful you didn't bust your backside getting in and out of the truck.

Bob in Revelstoke
11-13-2014, 02:24 AM
I am always amazed by the t.v and radio "news" doom and gloom criers. They are always predicting disaster from weather and storms. Then, when nothing happens they sound disappointed and have to run clips of past disasters that they blew up out of porportion. I am watching less as time goes by.

wallenba
11-13-2014, 03:00 AM
Thought I heard the weatherman say the U.P. in Michigan had 42.5" of snow!? Hope I heard it wrong and maybe that was a record for this date. Because the clippers just bring that stuff down here.

Duckiller
11-13-2014, 03:24 AM
Wallenba my brother in Copemish/Cadillac area say they only have an inch or two on the ground. Flying there tomorrow to go deer hunting on Saturday and rest of the week. I have spent too much time in So.Cal to want cold weather. A little bit of fresh snow helps see deer and makes for good tracking. 42.5 ' is absurd. I left Houghton for So.Cal because they had over 300" of snow in my senior year.

NavyVet1959
11-13-2014, 04:28 AM
It's currently 37F here and my wife thinks that I should change over from air-conditioning to heating since it was 70F in the house. Just had a new high efficiency unit put in this summer. Set the controls to heating and no warmth. Went up in the attic to look at the unit and the installer had not even closed up the unit and had left some parts just sitting in there. I'll end up contacting another guy to fix it since the last company was a bit ethically-challenged and the installer's work ethic was seriously lacking.

i put a cast iron griddle on my gas burner in the kitchen and a small desk fan blowing the warmth from the kitchen to the rest of the house. It didn't take that long to get the house up to my target temperature of 75F, so being without heating is a minor inconvenience at most.

dakotashooter2
11-13-2014, 11:11 AM
Cold weather reminds you that you are alive............. I can tollerate the cold, it's the wind that comes with it that is the bitch around here. You can go from freezing your butt off to sweating just by getting out of the wind. Sometimes it makes it hard to dress for winter activities. I have shoveled snow at -10 and no wind in nothing more than a light shirt and the next day at the same temp but a 15 mph wind had to put 4-5 layers on and still barely kept warm.

Nothing is as exhilerating as taking a dump in the woods at -20... I guarantee you there are no magazines being read in the process....

Reg
11-13-2014, 11:41 AM
-1 at 6 this morning with no wind. Really nice out. Wore only a light jacket while feeding the barn cats. Wind will come up this afternoon so it won't be so nice then.

dragon813gt
11-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm on a roof and it's currently 45 w/ a light wind. Put my thermals on for the first time this year. Looks like it's going to snow but that won't happen. It's a comfortable day to be working on a roof.

xacex
11-13-2014, 03:13 PM
We are glazed with ice in my part of Oregon. I would rather have snow to hunt in than this garbage.

wallenba
11-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Wallenba my brother in Copemish/Cadillac area say they only have an inch or two on the ground. Flying there tomorrow to go deer hunting on Saturday and rest of the week. I have spent too much time in So.Cal to want cold weather. A little bit of fresh snow helps see deer and makes for good tracking. 42.5 ' is absurd. I left Houghton for So.Cal because they had over 300" of snow in my senior year.

Not 42 1/2 feet, LOL, 42.5 inches. Feet would be absurd. But 42 inches in 24 hours can happen up there. (Cadillac is in lower peninsula)

Baron von Trollwhack
11-13-2014, 04:42 PM
I don't know about the rest of you in various locations, but the local air NBC weather idiots and the jerks on the other air TV channels I use here in central Kentucky have been getting further and further away from actual reality in terms of their forecasts and our actual weather. Seems like about 15-20 % off, always on the negative side depending on the season. Hot, cold, wet, dry, windy, whatever the attribute might be.

What they guess for tonight's low will be off noticeably from tomorrows reality. Some of the old timers look like they are having internal problems spouting that forecast ****. And besides, the current "your" weather talk is silly, to cap it off.

BvT

Lively Boy
11-13-2014, 06:00 PM
We got down to -24 with -40 wind chills. not much snow either.

waksupi
11-13-2014, 07:23 PM

Love Life
11-13-2014, 08:10 PM
Went out and smoked in a t-shirt. I briefly thought about putting a hoodie on, but didn't want to get shot.

MaryB
11-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Went to get mail, 13 degrees, nice 15mph breeze, I tossed my coat on! Even then the cold cut through it with the wind. Need to add a liner I guess.

First winter burning corn in this stove, pellets were cheaper last year. Using a 5 gallon bucket of corn a day right now or about 35 pounds. Not to bad for heat at around $2 a day

paul h
11-14-2014, 03:15 PM
Funny how weather seems to be reversed in Alaska, if we get a cold winter, you get a mild one, if it's cold down South it's mild up here. We've had a week of temps in the 40's and the little bit of snow we got has melted off. It's unusual to have bare ground in November.

I guess it's my fault, I got two new pairs of skis last year, a guaranteed way to get a mild winter.

MaryB
11-15-2014, 12:08 AM
3.9 degrees right now, way to early for deep cold!

dragon813gt
11-15-2014, 08:51 AM
25 when my alarm went off at 5am. I rolled back over instead of going to sit in my treestand. Below freezing and archery don't go hand in hand for me :laugh:

Ed Barrett
11-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Got up this morning and the temp outside was 18 degrees. A bit too cold for me. Listened for gunshots all morning didn't hear any. After hunting in my shirtsleeves a few times, I made arrangements to use a walk in cooler to hang my deer in. Don't think I'll need it this year. Supposed to get some snow tonight or tomorrow, have not tracked deer in the snow in in years, should be fun.

MT Gianni
11-15-2014, 06:36 PM
I need gas meters to be turning to do my winter work. This Tues and Wed were single digit highs and I got a lot done.

longranger
11-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Below zero like -11-12 deg. F every night for the past 4 one day above 10,it was 12 yesterday. Warm up begins Tues. 37 beautiful degrees F.

TXGunNut
11-15-2014, 07:00 PM
Could be a rough winter but we've seen it before. I hate it when Al Gore's global warming coats my back porch steps. Gonna bust my **** one of these dark, sleepy mornings.

trapper9260
11-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Went to pull my traps in water and some places it was 2" of ice and in moven water in some places is 1/2" .I will stick with coyote trapping for now.Got cold fast.begin of the this could I had 3/4" of ice that stated to form on beaver ponds above there dam and now it is below there dam now.To put in a foothold in dirt it is about 1 1/2" of frost now.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-15-2014, 08:36 PM
The wind is supposed to get up to 70 miles an hour tonight and the temperature into the mid 40s.

10x
11-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Yes. We have an "Alberta Clipper" headed our way. When the last one was I don't remember but I DO remember having them periodically long before Al Bore became the king of warmagaedon

Just be greatful us folk in Alberta use up the cold air and send you the warm left overs.

waynem34
11-20-2014, 05:54 PM
I live for the cold weather but my mother hates it, cause she has to take blood thinners and cant get warm.I feel so bad for loving these temps.Weather stripped her house and storm windows are down.She has a infrared heater whatever that is.Extra blankets and the heats turned up enough to stiffel you as soon as you walk in."Its not even winter yet" is what she keeps saying.I pray she stays warm along with the rest of you all.Take care.