PDA

View Full Version : Also in memory ... in London , England

Digger
11-10-2014, 11:02 PM
For those lost in WW 1 ....
888,246 ceramic poppies surround the Tower of London.
http://www.thisiscolossal.com/2014/07/tower-of-london-poppies/

and also the magnitude of such a project ... very humbling , and respectful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q56BJGUUL5A

MtGun44
11-11-2014, 01:49 AM
I saw these, very moving. I also noted that on the Formula 1 coverage down in Brazil,
the team leader for Williams (from England) had a bloody poppy pinned to her lapel
when being interviewed. Good for her, still thinking of those soldiers from a full
century ago, so far from home and in so different a situation.

Really impossible to grasp a war where, for example, at the First Battle of the Marne,
there were over half a million casualties, with 82,000 dead on the Allied side, in a
battle that lasted 9 days. 9,000 dead on the Allied side plus 16,000 wounded -
EACH DAY. Similar casualties on the German side.

Bill

Col4570
11-11-2014, 10:02 AM
We all wear a poppy for armistice day here,usualy fabric,they are sold to raise money for the rehabilitation of those injured on the Battle field.We also remember those brave souls from the USA who died and where injured 100 years ago.The many conflicts since the Great war are also brought into the ceremonies.This last Sunday 9th Nov at the rifle range we had 15 minutes silence as a mark of respect.
Threats have been made to those Cadets etc selling poppies by you can guess certain factions who are responsible for the loss of so many of our courageous military.
Best regards to all who support the forces who police this troubled world.

Gator 45/70
11-11-2014, 01:35 PM
That's pretty neat. Thanks for posting!

shooter93
11-11-2014, 07:32 PM
I sold those poppies for years when I was young. My grandmother was a member of the American Legion so she rounded up a huge number of kids to sell them all over town. I buy one every time I see them being sold now but that's few and far between now.

Digger
11-13-2014, 10:32 PM
That's pretty neat. Thanks for posting!

Thank you gentlemen for the acknowledgement , to much is disregarded in these times.