PDA

View Full Version : 1858 Pietta Conversion Questions

thechosen1
11-10-2014, 10:52 AM
Hello!

I recently acquired a Howell .45 ACP conversion cylinder for my 1858 Pietta Remington. However, when I insert the conversion cylinder into the gun itself, the cylinder will not rotate. I know that the cylinder might require some modification to fit the gun, but I do not know how to check the gun to determine what needs to be modified.

Does anyone who's done this conversion before have any tips for me?

webradbury
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
I've looked at conversion cylinders online recently and have heard others say that some drop right in while others need minor fitting. The same posts talked about the cylinder makers fitting them to the weapon when needed. I would give Howell a call and see what they say. I'm curious about what you described as not turning. Do you mean it's too tight to revolve or the weapon won't cock? Hope you get it fixed. Will

Omnivore
11-10-2014, 07:49 PM
thechosen1 (oh my); yes, we'd need more information. Is the new cylinder too long, or is the arbor bore too small, or is it lockwork related? Does the new cylinder turn on the arbor with the arbor removed from the gun, etc? A little troubleshooting and some measurements are in order. +1 on calling the maker (thechosen1 should have a direct line to the maker, no?).

John Allen
11-10-2014, 08:08 PM
I had one like this myself. It had a couple of burrs on the backplate. I gave it a light rub with a scotchbrite pad. I then soaked the back plate with kroil and put it in the gun. I ran it through a couple of cycles and everything was great.

docone31
11-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Mine was stiff at first. I just assembled it, and hand spun the cylinder untill I could cycle it with the hammer. At first I had to do it fast, then as I fired it, It loosened up. I am very happy with mine now. Looks good, and fires well.

thechosen1
11-11-2014, 07:00 AM
Ah, the conversion cylinder is too tight to rotate when placed in the frame. Is the arbor bore the center hole in the cylinder?

I can call the maker, no problem. That was probably the smarter thing to do. I'm afraid of just hacking into my poor gun before doing anything.

webradbury
11-11-2014, 07:33 AM
"I'm afraid of just hacking into my poor gun before doing anything."

Ummmmm, no don't do that. Im sure it's a minimal amount of fitting required to get it working. If your not sure how, just wait and ask someone qualified to help. But really the first thing to do is call the maker...they very well may fit it to your weapon for free.

thechosen1
11-11-2014, 09:38 AM
I figured as much! Just because I have a dremel doesn't mean that every problem requires a dremel, lol.

I'll call Howell and post back here.