PDA

View Full Version : Babbitt Lead?

armednfree
11-10-2014, 09:52 AM
I had this disk that somebody had poured. It was heavy but it rang like a bell. I melted it down and cast it into ingots. No problems with the first pour but the second looks frosty, I know I overheated it. Babbitt maybe? All tin?

Tatume
11-10-2014, 12:39 PM
It's more likely that you under-heated the first pour than over-heated the second. Frosty is good.

bangerjim
11-10-2014, 01:18 PM
Only real way to tell is an xray gun analysis or density analysis against a standard. When people recast alloys like Babbitt, it destroys any way of us knowing what it really was. Pro foundries identify their ingots very well.

Being heavy and ringing like a bell tells us.............. it is some kind of harder lead alloy and not much more.

If it is some Babbitt alloy (and there are well over 15 of them....all different % of stuff!) it will make a nice sweetening alloy for your casting pot. Rotometals carries 5 or 6 types, if you want a comparison.

Don't worry about what the ingots look like! Mine vary all over the map and all are still perfectly good......from pure Pb to hardball and lino and pure Sn.

Cast 'em......mix 'em.......make boolits!

banger

dilly
11-10-2014, 01:19 PM
When I first started casting I didn't realize just how harmless the frost was. I thought it was something to be avoided.

You can buff it off with a rag if you so desire.