PDA

View Full Version : Bring on winter!

DHurtig
11-09-2014, 09:38 PM
As nice as this fall has been, it's all supposed to end tomorrow. Forecast is for a high of 35 at midnight and falling temps all day. Calling for 100% chance of snow with 3 to 5 inches in town and 8 to 10 inches in the hills. Spent the day in the yard. Got the grass mowed short and bagged all the leaves. Did poo patrol. Yes it is a big deal, I have a Great Dane. Got summers power tools all stored for the winter. Got out the snow blower and fired it up and everything worked great. Let it snow!

MaryB
11-09-2014, 09:46 PM
I finished up getting corn into the bin to heat the house yesterday. Got all the pipes ran to vac it into the house so I don't have to stand outside if I don't want to. Yard stuff is all put away, I leave the lawn long to survive winter better. My lawn is always the first to green up in spring with less winter damage. Still need to change oil on the snow blower but can get by using it once before I do it.

472x1B/A
11-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Not even close to being ready. We've got 251 semi's of corn in the last 4 days and still have room for another 80 befor we are full. Dread having to stand out in this to dump trucks. But love the overtime. Yard work at home will have to wait.

MaryB
11-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Local elevator was waiting on one farmer to finish up, he had mechanical breakdowns and was waiting for parts. I usually wait for slow time there ot get my pickup box filled so I am not in the way of harvest.

Rick N Bama
11-10-2014, 12:04 AM
I'm ready for Winter as well. The Propane man came last month to fill my tank & I plan on bringing my fishing boat home from the Lake in another month or so. Bring it on[smilie=w:

koehn,jim
11-10-2014, 12:27 AM
I wish you all luck, here winter is when it gets down to the 60s.

btroj
11-10-2014, 12:32 AM
I'm ready for winter but I don't care for it. I have a bad feeling we are in for a cold, snowy winter here.

Garyshome
11-10-2014, 12:34 AM
Winter will be fine as long as it doesn't get cold!

Superfly
11-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Winter As much as I hate it I love it.

smokeywolf
11-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Winter? That's when we go from the high 60s to 80s down to the 50s to 70s. Oh my.

I'll miss this weather, but I can't get out of Kali fast enough.

smokeywolf

MtGun44
11-10-2014, 02:51 AM
Going to change the oil in the John Deere and in my Super Surfer tomorrow,
and then the F150, the cold isn't supposed to get here until Monday night.
Did my little Honda motorcycle today, probably the last ride this year, out for
lunch, and put Stabil in the gas. Need Stabil in the tractor and standup, too.
May take the Honda for lunch tomorrow and call it a season.

Got one more window to replace the single pane with insulated glass, but won't
make it before the cold hits.

Winter coming on. Hope Brad is wrong, but I think he may be onto it.

Where you headed Smokeywolf? Been out of Cali forever, visits are nice, but
really happy to leave again. Nice weather, BUT. . . . . .

Bill

MaryB
11-10-2014, 02:52 AM
heading below zero for lows later this week and I am in the warm end of MN :shock: ohh and 7-12 inches of snow tomorrow into Tues... joy...

MtGun44
11-10-2014, 02:53 AM
Is there a "warm end" to MN? ;-)

Got family in Superior, WI --- now THAT is cold. Never understood the
attraction.

Bill

CGT80
11-10-2014, 03:11 AM
What is snow? :confused:

I heard it was supposed to get cold here this week. Lows are 52 f. for the next week and highs of 71-76 f. I don't like working outside when it gets down to 52, but the sun has been brutal here. It was probably 90 degrees in direct sun yesterday, at the shooting competition I was at. Last weekend, at the range, the sun was hot on the skin, but the air temp was cool. I used to do construction work and working on the sunny side would get you too hot to want to wear pants, and on the shady side of a building, you needed an extra shirt or a jacket.

We get the Santa Anna winds from the high desert. It will range from 10-80 mph for up to weeks at a time. Our house probably only gets winds to about 60 mph, but 10-15 minutes away, closer to the foothills, it will knock fences over and it tips over semi trucks on the freeways. It hasn't been real bad this year, but the winds can continue to the beginning of spring.

NavyVet1959
11-10-2014, 03:57 AM
Winter means that I can finally get outside and smelt some lead or cast in the garage without the mosquitoes eating me alive.
Winter means my air-conditioner doesn't run as much each day (but I still have it set to A-C instead of HEAT).

I've been stationed up there in the Frozen North and I don't miss it one bit!

NavyVet1959
11-10-2014, 05:28 AM
Winter means that I can finally get outside and smelt some lead or cast in the garage without the mosquitoes eating me alive.
Winter means my air-conditioner doesn't run as much each day (but I still have it set to A-C instead of HEAT).

I've been stationed up there in the Frozen North and I don't miss it one bit!

facetious
11-10-2014, 06:10 AM
When I was living in MN in the 70's I had a shirt that said " Now that winter is over, can winter be far behind? "

Col4570
11-10-2014, 10:23 AM
The evenings are getting a bit Brass Monkeys now.

reloader28
11-10-2014, 10:42 AM
They were right. Cold here this morning.
Was 50* at 9:00pm last night.
This morning is all white and 12*. -22* windchill.
The woodstove feels GOOD. Dreading the outside chores.

cbrick
11-10-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm ready for winter but I don't care for it. I have a bad feeling we are in for a cold, snowy winter here.

According to the Farmers Almanac your right. Dunno how they do it but they have something like an 85% accuracy rate and they said for the Midwest to hang onto their hieny's this winter.

I hope folks that need propane get it now instead of waiting for what happened last winter.

Rick

bob208
11-10-2014, 03:21 PM
been hauling coal home. bought a new coal-wood stove. pick it up wed. been cleaning up yard today. the only good thing about winter is I cast bullets and reload.

Dale in Louisiana
11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
Love winter.

God made it easier to build a fire than an air conditioner.

dale in Louisiana
(who did a year on the Korean DMZ, so don't give me any guff about knowing what winter really is)

starmac
11-10-2014, 05:04 PM
been hauling coal home. bought a new coal-wood stove. pick it up wed. been cleaning up yard today. the only good thing about winter is I cast bullets and reload.

Oh come on now, that is not the only good thing about winter. The rivers, lakes, swamps and even ocean freeze over so we can drive on them and go places we can't in the summer. lol

dragonrider
11-10-2014, 06:34 PM

I hauled 2.4 tons of coal home today, had 3 tons of pellets delivered back in June. Still have some yard work to get done. Need to mount the snow blower on the Kubota, and clean out the garage.

dakotashooter2
11-10-2014, 07:03 PM
I can get used to the cold but last winter for 4 months I was on snowshoes for 8 hrs a day 10-12 days out of the month for work. Talk about exhausting.

Superfly
11-10-2014, 11:30 PM
Where are you located in ND ????

I can get used to the cold but last winter for 4 months I was on snowshoes for 8 hrs a day 10-12 days out of the month for work. Talk about exhausting.

MaryB
11-10-2014, 11:40 PM
Well where I am the record low is only -31... up north by Canada it is -62... at least at -31 my truck might start, at -62 I would not even venture out the door. 19 now, corn/pellet stove on the last bag of pellets so I switch to that hard earned stash of corn tomorrow. Long as it is around 20 I am fine, below that the arthritis says no to working outside more than I have to. Can tell winter is coming for sure, hands are really stiff in the morning, hard to get going.

MtGun44
11-11-2014, 01:47 AM
Well, ya'll folks way up there take care. Here in NE Kansas it is supposed to get to
about 24F tonight, and a high of 34F tomorrow. Cold, but not like what you
really northern folks will see. MaryB - you are right, HUGE difference between -31 and
-62. We had a -25F actual back in the late 80s, with 45 mph wind for wind chill of
-50 or something like that. Couldn't stay out more than 5 minutes before the cheeks
started to freeze.

Bill

Lloyd Smale
11-11-2014, 08:03 AM
four inches of snow on the ground here since yesterday

btroj
11-11-2014, 08:18 AM
Lloyd, you just keep that white stuff up there where it belongs.

Why can't I just find a place where it is 40 to 60 degrees all year long?

Summer heat sucks and so does the winter cold. I don't mind 20 but below that it just isn't fun to be outdoors.

robg
11-11-2014, 08:21 AM
normal winter here dul grey rain and gales .were twined with atlantis

btroj
11-11-2014, 08:47 AM
Monday morning it was 60 degrees, today we have windchills around 5. Yep, typical for Nebraska.
Hard for a body to adapt to temp change that quickly.

Beagle333
11-11-2014, 08:49 AM
39° here this morning. That qualifies as Winter for us. That's about low enough for me too. Once it is below good flying weather for mosquitoes.... I'm happy.

Gator 45/70
11-11-2014, 10:04 AM
I've never owned or used a snow blower or snow plow.
Am I missing something?

cbrick
11-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Am I missing something?

Yes you sure are! Frozen fingers, toes, cars stuck in snow banks, huge utility bills and much more joy. :shock:

Rick

btroj
11-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Am I missing something?

Not really. Go visit Randy, I'm sure he will let you use his blower to clear his drive.

rexherring
11-11-2014, 11:56 AM
A cold day here in SW North Dakota -5 with a -24 wind chill. Had to fire up the snow blower and clean driveway and neighbors side walks then up to our church to do some snow blowing. December/January weather early here.

Gator 45/70
11-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Thanks'...But no, I'll stick to the tropics for now.

lol

Yes you sure are! Frozen fingers, toes, cars stuck in snow banks, huge utility bills and much more joy. :shock:

Rick

MtGun44
11-11-2014, 01:43 PM
70F yesterday as I finished the fall oil changes on the smaller machines, and
added Stabil to the tanks and ran them to get it into the carbs.

24F this AM, now 29F. Pretty large change for one day.

Never could depend on Al Gore for anything.

Bill

flydoc
11-12-2014, 12:41 AM
Anyone read natures " signs" ? Like wooly worms, or persimmon seeds?. It's kind of fun to look into these things. For example, if you split a persimmon seed in half , the center of the seed has a light colored area with one of three shapes, either a knife ,fork , or spoon. If there is a knife shaped center then the winter is supposed to be very cold ( cuts like a knife) , and if the fork shape is seen then it will be a mild winter ( a fork supposedly represents "plenty" or " ease", and if the shape is a spoon, then it means lots of snow ( the spoon means there will be snow to " scoop"). I have consulted with my local persimmon tree and every seed has a spoon, so looks like a repeat of last year. The local legend has it that if wooly worms are very dark, then a cold winter is expected, brown ones predominate prior mild winters. So, lets hear form everyone about the local weather-predicting natural phenomenons .

MaryB
11-12-2014, 03:40 AM
Wooly worms were almost black, and super fuzzy this fall. Had a bunch invade my workshop shed.

bnelson06
11-12-2014, 07:04 AM
Did you luck out on the snow Mary, we barely got a dusting.

MaryB
11-12-2014, 11:20 PM
maybe an inch if that, more rain/sleet than anything.

opos
11-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Wind chill hit 55 this morning...but that's going to pass and we'll be back in the 70's soon...water is still in the mid to high 60's....

Lloyd Smale
11-13-2014, 08:55 AM
were up to about 2 feet now and its still comming down. A few weeks early for us.

btroj
11-13-2014, 09:21 AM
I knew Lloyd would have a heap of snow by now. Le us know when you get to 10 ft, won't be long.

FISH4BUGS
11-13-2014, 09:26 AM
Got the wood stacked (4' high, 8' wide and 35' long wood pile) - about 8+ cords ready for winter. Leaves mulched and in the compost, yard raked, grass cut and snow blower oil changed and ready to fly.
Bring it on!

ohland
11-15-2014, 09:50 PM
Well, there definitely is enough snow to track a cat... Or a Brittany.

Thank heavens that I don't have to drive to N Chicago on the Illinoise Hold-Up Trail, er, Illinois Tollway. Nasty.

cbrick
11-15-2014, 10:01 PM
Well, there definitely is enough snow to track a cat... Or a Brittany.

Thank heavens that I don't have to drive to N Chicago on the Illinoise Hold-Up Trail, er, Illinois Tollway. Nasty.

Hhmmm . . . Would that be the North West Toll road? I lived there in the 50's when the state was trying to talk the citizens into making it a toll road that nobody wanted. The state promised that the day the road was paid for the toll booths would come down. Must have been a mighty expensive road? :shock:

Rick

NavyVet1959
11-16-2014, 02:30 AM
Hhmmm . . . Would that be the North West Toll road? I lived there in the 50's when the state was trying to talk the citizens into making it a toll road that nobody wanted. The state promised that the day the road was paid for the toll booths would come down. Must have been a mighty expensive road? :shock:

Has there ever been a toll road that quit charging tolls? I suspect that once they get that revenue stream in, they're rather unlikely to get weened from it.

starmac
11-16-2014, 02:41 AM
Many of them have been sold to foreign owned companies. The country or state does not even own them anymore. lol

Houndog
11-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Has there ever been a toll road that quit charging tolls? I suspect that once they get that revenue stream in, they're rather unlikely to get weened from it.

Yep!!!
the Green River Parkway and the Coalfields Expressway in Kentucky! Sometimes the gooberment does what they say they will, but most times NOT!!!!

NavyVet1959
11-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Yep!!!
the Green River Parkway and the Coalfields Expressway in Kentucky! Sometimes the gooberment does what they say they will, but most times NOT!!!!

How long did it take them to become non-toll? The oldest one that I have personal experience with is the Indian Nation Turnpike in OK. They have been charging for it since 1970 (44 years).

TomcatPC
11-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Until I can return to SoCal...I can deal with Winter for the most part. Then again...I miss living in Alaska as well.
Mark

starmac
11-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Wow don't see many people wanting to go to SoCal, much less want to return to it. lol

cbrick
11-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Wow don't see many people wanting to go to SoCal, much less want to return to it. lol

First time for everything but remember, we only have 36,000 members on this board.

Rick

TomcatPC
11-17-2014, 11:06 PM
What is wrong with SoCal? Had some great time there before, anything is better than Ohio LOL!!! Miss the Pacific Ocean!!!!
Mark

cbrick
11-17-2014, 11:12 PM
What is wrong with SoCal? Had some great time there before, anything is better than Ohio LOL!!! Miss the Pacific Ocean!!!! Mark

I could explain it to ya but this is the wrong thread for a 30 paragraph post on the horror that is Kalifornia. You must be pretty young.

Rick

TomcatPC
11-17-2014, 11:16 PM
I'm 43, really loved it there, thought the people were great. I had a lot more fun there than anywhere else. Just one of the first places I ever felt like I belonged.
Now there might not be some political things I don't agree with. I don't get into politics too much, but from what I've heard, a lot of it I don't agree with.
I really hope I get to live there again, really hope I can throw my Scuba gear into my car and take off to dive in La Jolla Cove when ever.

I don't mind Winter, I'd love to live in Alaska again, thought the people there were great as well! Not a big fan of Winter in a city like where I live now, so dirty and depressing!! Winter in less populated areas is so much better, but that is my opinion. Sort of like my opinion on California, I did not intend to get anyone angry...I just look forward to returning someday. Please forgive me for saying that.

I might be wrong and go somewhere else?, but for now...I'm going to look forward to returning and at least visiting.

One day at a time...LOL!!!
Mark

starmac
11-17-2014, 11:51 PM
LOL I am sooooooo glad I do not feel like I fit in, in Cali, truthfully hope to never even visit there again. lol

cbrick
11-18-2014, 08:24 AM
I'm 43, really loved it there, thought the people were great. I had a lot more fun there than anywhere else. Just one of the first places I ever felt like I belonged.
Now there might not be some political things I don't agree with. I don't get into politics too much, but from what I've heard, a lot of it I don't agree with.
I really hope I get to live there again, really hope I can throw my Scuba gear into my car and take off to dive in La Jolla Cove when ever.

I don't mind Winter, I'd love to live in Alaska again, thought the people there were great as well! Not a big fan of Winter in a city like where I live now, so dirty and depressing!! Winter in less populated areas is so much better, but that is my opinion. Sort of like my opinion on California, I did not intend to get anyone angry...I just look forward to returning someday. Please forgive me for saying that.

I might be wrong and go somewhere else?, but for now...I'm going to look forward to returning and at least visiting.

One day at a time...LOL!!! Mark

Nobody is angry. Confused yes, angry no.

You may not get involved with politics but one thing is an absolute guarantee . . . Politics WILL get involved with you. :cry:

Rick