PDA

View Full Version : A small epiphany

Digital Dan
11-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Did some range work with the .30-30 today. Tumble lubed 311041 of about 12 BHN over 16.5 grains of SR4759. 4 strings of 5 shots each. When all was said and done I looked down the bore and saw a couple of very small flecks of dust, otherwise it looked like it had just been thoroughly cleaned, polished, buffed and so forth. Had not seen this before, whether it be with cast or jacketed bullets.

On a side note, I also noticed the accuracy improved over the run of strings, not unlike that with a .22 RF after the barrel was cleaned. Makes sense, just had never seen that in a CF cartridge either.

:-o

Tatume
11-08-2014, 08:28 PM
Sounds like you're having fun. Keep it up. :-)

tazman
11-08-2014, 08:39 PM
Good things happen sometimes. Keep up the good work.

RED333
11-09-2014, 10:15 AM
Write the load down, do not depend on you brain to remember.
Good work!!!

Digital Dan
11-09-2014, 12:26 PM
Been writing stuff down about reloading since I started. It was just before I bought my first press and dies that I misplaced my brain. Haven't seen or heard from it in years.

Nrut
11-09-2014, 02:02 PM
What did you tumble lube with Dan?
Lee frog snot or something special?

Digital Dan
11-09-2014, 02:29 PM
Lee liquid Alox that was cut about 25% by volume with mineral spirits. The variables had to do with one string having as lubed finish, the second having the LLA wiped off the nose after loading and the third and last having a full coat of LLA followed by a dust coat of motor mica. That was also the last string fired.

MtGun44
11-09-2014, 04:52 PM
You had better have a lifetime's supply of that powder on the shelf, or quickly get some,
there will be no more.

Bill

Digital Dan
11-10-2014, 12:23 AM
I have that life time supply on the shelf. It is presently available from most shooting supply businesses.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124290522/frankford-arsenal-fine-powdered-mica

wallenba
11-10-2014, 12:39 AM
I have that life time supply on the shelf. It is presently available from most shooting supply businesses.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2124290522/frankford-arsenal-fine-powdered-mica

I think Bill was referring to SR-4759 powder. No longer being made. Sad... it's a favorite of mine.

Digital Dan
11-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Oh. I'm fairly covered on that point as well.

Digital Dan
11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Anyone else with the supply jitters re: SR4759...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2185268890/imr-sr4759-smokeless-gun-powder

bedbugbilly
11-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Dan - enjoyed your post / experience with your 30/30. I'm just getting set up to load that cartridge so I also write down as much as I can find on it in my notebook!

Curious - are you shooting that boolit "as cast" or sizing it? If sizing - to what?

On another note - I just got an old WWI GEW98 up and shooting and am reloading my own lead cast for it (8 X 57). I'm tumble lubing in Alox/Paste Wax and am using reduced loads. I pretty much had the same experience as you in regards to the first shot not being real accurate - after that, they improved greatly. I'm not pushing them hard but experienced no leading, just the few flecks of fouling. I've been using Bulls Eye, Unique & Red Dot for sample cartridges and the RD has given the best accuracy out of it. My selection of powders is limited and it's getting cold outside so next spring, I want to play with speeding the boolit up to see where I start to get some leading.

Thanks for the report and I hope you'll keep posting on your results!

Echo
11-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Dan - enjoyed your post / experience with your 30/30. I'm just getting set up to load that cartridge so I also write down as much as I can find on it in my notebook!

Curious - are you shooting that boolit "as cast" or sizing it? If sizing - to what?

On another note - I just got an old WWI GEW98 up and shooting and am reloading my own lead cast for it (8 X 57). I'm tumble lubing in Alox/Paste Wax and am using reduced loads. I pretty much had the same experience as you in regards to the first shot not being real accurate - after that, they improved greatly. I'm not pushing them hard but experienced no leading, just the few flecks of fouling. I've been using Bulls Eye, Unique & Red Dot for sample cartridges and the RD has given the best accuracy out of it. My selection of powders is limited and it's getting cold outside so next spring, I want to play with speeding the boolit up to see where I start to get some leading.

Thanks for the report and I hope you'll keep posting on your results!
It's even getting cold here in AZ - why, the high here yesterday was only 79! The furnace is on in the house!:bigsmyl2:

dondiego
11-10-2014, 01:05 PM
My furnace is set at 64 degrees F in my house right now. My bedroom is on an outer wall and is typically 60 or below in the mornings. Good sleeping weather. Our firearms deer season opens on the 15th and my property is further north where it is snowing right now and they are predicting more snow and high temps in the 20's. Glad I have a wood burner in the pole barn and a Mr. Heater in the camper! No electricity or running water up there either. Limits the desirability of many visitors. My girlfriend loves it there though. That outhouse can be quite nippy after you brush the snow off of the seat. I like to be the second visitor in the morning!