PDA

View Full Version : 300 Savage mold question

milsurpaddict
11-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Hello everyone I recently purchased a model 99 savage chambered in 300 savage. I want to know if using a lead boolit is workable for this round and if so if you have a suggestion on a mold. I plan on using this rifle for deer hunting this year and since I live in Virginia I do not expect a shot longer than 150 yards.

In addition I just slugged my marlin 30-30 micro barrel an d if I measured the lands and grooves correctly they measured out at .300 and .313 does this sound close to what one might expect for a micro grooved marlin 30-30 I molded a boolit from a lee mold c309-113-F but the front groove ring would not allow the boolit to seat all the way into the throat of the rifle. I did seat a boolit in a 30-30 case from a lee mold C312-185-R and this would allow the gun to close but I did not fire the shell because i did not think the size would work. Any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dan Cash
11-08-2014, 11:25 PM
.30-30 first: The dimensions you give for your bore sound about right. I am presently loading for two Marlins, both .30-30 but one is microgroove and the other is so called Ballard rifling. They both do superbly with a Lyman 31141 bullet, either paper patched or shot as an as cast grease groove, gas check bullet. As cast is .3135 and if I paper patch, the end result is .312-.313. With the 31141, casting and loading for the .30-30 is straight forward and easy to make things fit.

I too have a .300 model 99 Savage and have not yet cracked the code for reliable cast that do not sit below the case neck, will fit in and feed from the magazine and will chamber in the rifle. When I get a couple of other projects cleaned up, I will get with Tom of Accurate Moulds and figure out what is needed. I am sure that a proper mould exists but I don't have it and am not sure what it is.

RickinTN
11-08-2014, 11:42 PM
The 300 Savage does introduce that issue of a short throat. The RCBS 165 silhouette bullet is as close as I know of a production bullet that should keep the gas check skirt in the case neck and the lube groove covered by the case neck if the parallel section of the throat is long enough. I'm not aware of others unless it is a complete custom bullet. Tom at Accurate molds can help in that area.
Good Luck,
Rick

Maineboy
11-09-2014, 07:33 AM
I shoot a variety of cast boolits in my 300 Savage with good results and virtually all of them have lube exposed to the powder below the case neck. I just don't worry about it.

dragon813gt
11-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I shoot a variety of cast boolits in my 300 Savage with good results and virtually all of them have lube exposed to the powder below the case neck. I just don't worry about it.

Same here. I've had no issues w/ the bullet, and gas check, protruding below the case neck. Nothing wrong w/ wanting a custom mold from Accurate to keep everything in the neck. But in the meantime it you have some 30 cal molds give them a try.

fatnhappy
11-09-2014, 09:18 AM

You and I both. 28 grains of IMR-3031 and a tuft of dacron behind a 311041.
If you're overly concerned about exposed lube groove below the case neck stick to jacketed or use fillers.

Hardcast416taylor
11-09-2014, 01:35 PM
In my Remington Model 722 I use an old Lyman mold for the #311466 and it works quite well for me.Robert

cainttype
11-09-2014, 02:32 PM
You could check out NOE's 311-155 FN. If fitting check and grease groove within a short neck is your goal it will be a good candidate.

detox
11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
The 300 Savage does introduce that issue of a short throat. The RCBS 165 silhouette bullet is as close as I know of a production bullet that should keep the gas check skirt in the case neck and the lube groove covered by the case neck if the parallel section of the throat is long enough. I'm not aware of others unless it is a complete custom bullet. Tom at Accurate molds can help in that area.
Good Luck,
Rick

This bullet will work very well IF bullet is matched to free bore diameter and length. Bore ride section should measure snug with top of lands (+.001-.002). A pound cast will help you measure free bore diameter and length. This RCBS 165 Sil bullet usually measures .3095-.310 at bands, so you may have to open bands larger by lapping mould with lead bullet and 220 grit compound. Be sure not to lap gas check shank larger.

Do a pound cast and measure diameter with micrometer. I like bullet bands sized .0001-.0005 smaller than free bore diameter.