PDA

View Full Version : Titewad load for 150gr 30-30

relic
11-08-2014, 02:45 PM
Been searching but I cant find a starting load using Titewad and 150gr boolit in 30-30. I am using 7.5 Red Dot now but running out of Red dot. Its a very good load but with the powder avaibilty I bought 4 jars of Titewad. In the relative burn rate charts it is directly above red dot. Any help out there?

osteodoc08
11-08-2014, 05:18 PM
TW is significantly faster in certain loadings. Not sure how it would do in the rifle. Start low and bring a brass rod......

relic
11-13-2014, 06:04 PM
Okay, only one reply so here is what I did. 30-30, 150gr rcbs rnfp cast with a mix alloy that is about 20-1 according to ST Machining Lead Tester, trimmed and sized in a RCBS X die. I used Win large rifle primers, standard, not the ones that say magnum or standard, if that makes any difference. Now the test, I loaded 2 round @5grains, 2 rounds @ 6grains and 2 @ 7grains with the TITEWAD powder. Went down to my range and fired the 5 grain load. It was very mild and was 6 inches low from my past load of 7.5 grains of red dot wth the same boolit. Oh, after fireing I looked the case over with a magnifying glass and saw no sign of any excess pressure. Next was the 6 grain load, a little more noticiable power and POI was 3 inches higher. Checked cases and all looked good. 7 grain load was dead nuts on, this is at 50 yards with a mod 94 with Marbles improved peep sight, 20 inch barrel and 72 year old eyes. It is actually the best group I have shot at 50 yards. I think I will stop right here. Cases all looked good and the POI is the same as my RED DOT loads, and like I said Im running out of RED DOT so that's why the expierment with TITEWAD. Ah **** I forgot that I used a wad of Dacron over the powder. I am new to this computer age so excuse the mistakes. So I noticed no hard extraction blown primers or flattened primers, no deep indentations on rim of brass, so Im going to load some more and go shoot.

rsrocket1
11-16-2014, 02:43 PM
No need for the dacron wad with fast pistol/shogun powders. I just went through an exercise with that using Unique, Red Dot and 800X. No noticeable increase in accuracy, a very slight increase in average muzzle velocity but no significant increase in velocity consistency either.

Titewad is an excellent low velocity low recoil powder with just about the same burn rate as Clays which is a little faster than Red Dot. It builds up pressure really fast without driving the bullet very fast. I've gone through several pounds of Titewad (or 14 ouncers) and if I came across an 8 pound jug would scoop it up in a minute, but that's because I'd use it in 3/4 oz 12 gauge loads.

I'm glad you found a good load for your gun.