PDA

View Full Version : 36 cal Barrel

jjamna
02-09-2008, 11:25 PM
I would like to find a 36 cal barrel to fix to inter change with my 32 cal. Other than Green Mountain, is there anyone making replacement barrels for muzzle Loaders?
I would take a whole gun if I could find one cheap enough that I wouldn't have to take out a second mortage on my house to buy it.

mooman76
02-10-2008, 01:36 AM
Tried Dixiegunworks?

Guido4198
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
I've had similar thoughts myself. You might try contacting some of the custom gun makers to see if they would be willing to simply build you a .36 bbl. with a hooked breech so that at the end of the day...you end up with a "drop-in" like the Green Mtn. .32. I'd be interested also if you find a solution to this search. 'course...if you find someone who will do it...best be sitting down when they quote you a price. What has your experience been with the Grn Mtn .32..??? I'm currently trying to identify a small caliber choice to go with my .50. Many have suggested going with a .40, but I'm not yet convinced.
Cheers,
Don

northmn
02-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Try checking the Tradition arms rifles out while browsing through Dixie. They make a fair rifle at a good price. Considering that replacement barrels cost about $200 if fitted to a particular rifle buying a complete rifle might not be that much extra. Most of the other barrel makers that I can think of besides Green Mountain are more costly at this time.

Northmn

TCLouis
02-10-2008, 10:38 AM
should have access to one.

contact info was in a recent thread so a search should turn up his info.

mooman76
02-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I would like to find a 36 cal barrel to fix to inter change with my 32 cal. Other than Green Mountain, is there anyone making replacement barrels for muzzle Loaders?
I would take a whole gun if I could find one cheap enough that I wouldn't have to take out a second mortage on my house to buy it.

What type of gun are we talking about to find a drop in or replacement barrel in? It may be difficult if not a popular brand and as stated you may be better of just buying a 36 outright! Some catalogs like Bass pros have drop ins for certain ones but the biggest problem might be the caliber. It isn't a real popular caliber but I would like to have one. I always kind of wanted one (36) in a Hatfield rifle but I don't think they make them any more and it used to be way out of my price range. Also you might check with the manufacturer to see if your model was available in 36 and they may have a barrel that will fit.

Guido4198
02-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Tip Curtis is in Middle Tennessee...Ph: 615-654-4445. He would definitely be one of the people I'd discuss this with. After about Tues, or wed. of this coming week, He's going to be outta town for the next 3 wks or so. He carries the Green Mtn. "drop-in" bbls. in stock, and also builds a variety of custom guns per customer's requirements. I recently had a chat with him about going to a smaller-than-50 bbl. for my Hawken, and he suggested the 40 for paper punching, and some match shooting. Your interests may differ, and perhaps he can assist.
Hope this helps...
Don

jjamna
02-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Every thing posted is helpful. I basicly want it to round out my collection. I have a 32 45 and a 50 cal now. Would like to get a 36, 54 and a 40 now because I didn't know they made them until now. Actually I have 2 45cal rifles 2 45 pistols a 36 cal revolver,32 squirrel rifle. 2 50 cal rifles. 1 50 and 1 45 are inlines. Most of them are CVA or Traditions except the 50 Cal inline it is a Norinco. The reason I am looking at the 36 is just because I have always wanted one, don't know why, just always wanted one. I have found some at Track of the Wolf that I think I could make work and the price is not bad either. Between 125 and 200 dollars.

Has anyone ever dealt with Track of the Wolf?

Guido4198
02-10-2008, 04:43 PM
Good Company to deal with. I've bought and sold BP rifles with them without any problems.

mooman76
02-10-2008, 04:54 PM
I delt with Track of the Wolf only once and had no problems. Another place you might want to try is Cainsoutdoor. Some of you might remember them as Mountainstate Muzzle that close a few years back and he kind of took over from them.

StrawHat
02-11-2008, 12:20 PM
a 36 cal revolver,

jjamna,

If you are wanting to use the same round ball in the rifle and pistol, you will need to look for a 38 barrel.

The variety of calibers we have today is due to the companies setting up to make those calibers.

Originally you bought what the gunsmith had or could get from a barrelsmith.

Sometimes a certain caliber could be specified but if the smith was set up to make 41, 47 and 52 calibers, those were what you could choose from.

While some were available, anything under 40 is fairly rare in an original rifle.

Just info, not trying to rain on Mardi Gras.

Good luck,

StrawHat

jjamna
02-11-2008, 03:43 PM
jjamna,

If you are wanting to use the same round ball in the rifle and pistol, you will need to look for a 38 barrel.

The variety of calibers we have today is due to the companies setting up to make those calibers.

Sometimes a certain caliber could be specified but if the smith was set up to make 41, 47 and 52 calibers, those were what you could choose from.

While some were available, anything under 40 is fairly rare in an original rifle.

Good luck,

StrawHat

It is not nessessary that they be the same caliber.

Odinbreaker
02-15-2008, 01:38 PM
The Possible Shop had 36 cal CVA bobcats fro 175 they may have some left I got one a year ago.

yeahbub
03-12-2008, 01:41 AM
jjamna, do you go to the NMLRA shoot in Friendship, Indiana? Right offhand I can't think of the man's name, but there is at least one barrel vendor in a tent at the SW corner of Reese's Sheepshed that has .32's on up in a variety of lengths and sizes across the flats. Some variation in twists in a given caliber as well for $100 +/-. Most are Green Mountains. The smiths in the repair shop would be willing to duplicate the way your existing barrel is set up with whatever sights, etc. that you pick out from the vendors that are there. Tip Curtis generally sets up there as well. It'll be happening during the second week of June. The first weekend would probably be the best time to get things rolling, if you elect to give it a try.

YeahBub

jjamna
03-13-2008, 09:31 PM
No never been to Friendship. Always wanted to go. Maybe I will this year.

03-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Couple of good sources:

Robert Hoyt, Freischutz Shop, 700 Fairfield Station Rd, Fairfield, Pa, 17320

Dixon Muzzleloading Shop, 9952 Kunkles Mill Rd, Kempton, Pa. 19529 (610)756-6271

Both top notch outfits.

jim4065
03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
jjamna,

Good luck,

StrawHat

I didn't count - but there sure seemed to be an awful lot of rifles under .40 at the Arms Museum in Claremore, OK.