PDA

View Full Version : Ruger rings

Tatume
11-07-2014, 07:45 PM
What cures have been found for the tendency for Ruger rings to work loose? I've had this problem consistently with heavy recoiling rifles and revolvers.

Thanks, Tom

runfiverun
11-07-2014, 10:43 PM
Locktite

22-250ohio
11-07-2014, 11:14 PM
and be sure to use blue not red if you ever want to remove it

William Yanda
11-08-2014, 12:01 AM
I think I heard that the red will release with heat, perhaps from a pen type soldering gun. Can anyone tell me whether or not this is true?
Thanks
Bill

Vopie
11-08-2014, 12:07 AM
Use heat , along with a proper fitting 'driver to break red locktite loose.... Jim

joesig
11-08-2014, 12:30 AM
Lot o' heat! I think I'd start with blue first and see if you really need more strength.

Suo Gan
11-08-2014, 12:44 AM
Purple locktite, I have had some Ruger rings tight for over 20 years now. No heat needed.

44man
11-08-2014, 07:38 AM
Getting the lugs on the lower half centered in the grooves is a must. If not in position, recoil can move to a looser spot. I only use a quarter to tighten and never needed Loc-Tite.

dubber123
11-08-2014, 10:08 AM
Getting the lugs on the lower half centered in the grooves is a must. If not in position, recoil can move to a looser spot. I only use a quarter to tighten and never needed Loc-Tite.

Good suggestion on centering, but I do like Loctite. Another tip, get a ring lapping kit. Ruger rings are not the best machined in the world, and you'd be surprised at how little contact some make with a scope tube.

wrench man
11-08-2014, 04:23 PM

Yep, take care installing and have never used LocTite on them?,never had any come loose.

W.R.Buchanan
11-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Good suggestion on centering, but I do like Loctite. Another tip, get a ring lapping kit. Ruger rings are not the best machined in the world, and you'd be surprised at how little contact some make with a scope tube.

I would have to differ on Ruger Rings not being the best Machined Parts. I removed My Leupold 1-5X VXIII from my GSR. Removed the rings, Installed the scope on My Ruger Guide Gun using the rings included with that gun. Zero from the last rifle transferred exactly to the new gun.

This would not have occurred if the rings weren't virtually identical, and the mounting points on the receivers weren't in the same relationship to the bore of the gun.

Keep in mind this was two completely different guns, and two completely different sets of Scope Rings with a different distance between the mounting points.

The only thing in Common was the scope.

The machining on Ruger guns is pretty damn consistent from gun to gun. Be willing to bet that different bolts would headspace correctly in different guns as well.

as far as the rings coming loose,,, If you torque the ring mountings to like 25 IP they won't come loose. If you really want to make sure some Blue Loctite or clear nail polish on the threads will work. I haven't had any come loose just using the torque wrench.

I have had $150 Leupold Rings come loose, and that's why I don't use them any more.

Randy

dubber123
11-08-2014, 04:47 PM
I've lapped a few that had maybe 60% contact. The ones on my #1 .375 H&H being one set. The set on my brothers M77 Compact were not much better, but then again, the barrel was screwed on crooked, or the ring cuts were wrong, and 3 separate scopes ran out of windage adjustment before it could be zeroed. Must have been a Monday gun.