PDA

View Full Version : Speer .357!!!

SlowMec
11-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Hi all!

I use to end up here on Cast Boolits when i ask the "internet" for advice....

Sooo...

I just became a member too!

I`m thinking about buying an mold for my .357mag Blackhawk.
Iīm looking for a heavy (180gr) and i think i have found it, or two, actually.

So my first question is:

Can anybody give me the measurment from the base to the top of the crimp groove on Speerīs 180gr TMJ sil bullet?

My reason:

I have great reloading data for this bullet that i would like to base my loads on.

But case volume is a possible problem. I have used the Speer bullet before and i feel confident with it.

I know how much volume the cast boolit will eat.

Tatume
11-06-2014, 07:20 PM
You can easily adjust your loading data to accommodate the cast bullet of your choice. For which revolver (I presume) are you loading? In strong guns with a given load you will realize significantly greater velocity with cast bullets than you do with jacketed bullets of the same weight. That gives you some leeway when adjusting your load from the Speer TMJ to a cast bullet. You can accomplish equal speed with less powder, and gradually increase the powder charge until you're satisfied, or you reach maximum published loads, whichever comes first.

Hodgdon is showing speeds up to 1400 fps with a Nosler 180 grain bullet and H110/W296 and Lil'Gun. They are getting up 1300 fps with this bullet and H4227. You should be able to equal these specs with a 180 grain cast bullet and a little effort.

Motor
11-06-2014, 08:48 PM
Hodgdon's data was compiled using a 10" barrel. Unless your Blackhawk has a 10" barrel you can forget about getting anywhere near 1400f/s with a 180gr boolit.

If you want accurate data look for data that was compiled using the same length barrel as your Blackhawk.

One example: Hodgdon lists 1500+ with W-296 and a 158gr JHP. I got about 1350f/s with the same load from a 6" barrel.

Motor

Wayne S
11-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Since RCBS and Speer are part of the same group ,the RCBS 180 Sil. is a copy of the Speer 180 Sil. For your purpose you need to get the average length of your 357 Mag cases, then figure out the Max. length that a bullet can extend from the case to the mouth of the cylinder and you will have the Max. OAL that a loaded round will function in your Ruger. The NOE 358 180 Sil. is a copy of the RCBS 180 .http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=576&osCsid=7ole0r91u0mj25slnnfb95gsi6
Using the measurements given you shouls be able to see if your cases @ X.xx" long will crimp in the crimp groove and function in your Ruger.
There is another option , although a 200 gn. bullet in the Ruger might be a bit much if you are going to use it for Silhouette shooting
If you are using it for Silhouettes PM me, I may be able to help.

Wayne

SlowMec
11-07-2014, 01:40 PM
Tatume:

Thank You for your info.

But iīm already set on which powder to use (VV110).
I think that powder is perfect for a .357 mag.
My revolver is a Ruger Blackhawk 6 1/2"bbl ( as You can see in post 1).
I am fully aware of the benefits of a cast boolit over a store bought bullit.

Wayne:

Are You sure that the NOE mold You linked to have the same base to crimp groove distance as the Speer bullet?

It is a NOE mold i am looking (drooling) on. (two actually).

This: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=1150&osCsid=7ole0r91u0mj25slnnfb95gsi6

And this: http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=35&products_id=94&osCsid=7ole0r91u0mj25slnnfb95gsi6

I will use it in Silhouette and a form of long range target match (shot only here in Sweden, as far as i know).

In my old revolver i had some problem with the Speer bullet.
I didnīt feel confident with a max charge due to the volume, too much compression of the powder.

That was in a 4" 686.
In the Blackhawk i have a longer cylinder to play with.