PDA

View Full Version : 60 years old today...

375supermag
11-06-2014, 10:03 AM
Hi...

As the title says...I turn 60 years old today.

Still doing pretty well physically. Not too bad for a borderline old guy who has survived two bouts with cancer, two strokes and 6-7 major surgeries(depending on how you count them) and a total of 55 radiation treatments.

Last Saturday, my son and a friend went pheasant hunting for the day. I managed to keep up with a 20-year old and a 35 year old all whilst busting brush and stomping through waist high grass fields.

I guess i'm not quite ready for the rocking chair...might have a few good years left in me.

Don Purcell
11-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Congratulations! Just turned 60 a little over a week ago. Hate to hear about your health problems but you sound like your still crankin' it out.

kfarm
11-06-2014, 10:29 AM
What took you so long.....

Garyshome
11-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Happy B Day!!!!!!

DougGuy
11-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Yep the more you do, the more you -can- do and for longer. (62 here) cancer survivor also, use it or lose it!

Oh and stay away from those reloads, information here says if you shoot them long enough your joints will ache and your skin will wrinkle.. :bigsmyl2:

Oh yeah.. Happy Birthday! Did y'all get any pheasants?

I made a MacFarlane farm-raised pheasant for Thanksgiving last year, WHOA you talk about delicious? Ummm HUMM!!

Multigunner
11-06-2014, 11:34 AM
November the 3rd was the 60th aniversery of the release of the first Godzilla film, so you are very nearly as old as Godzilla.
Which is a bit better than being as old as rocks and water.

waynem34
11-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Happy Birthday!!Good Job!

jcwit
11-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Happy Birthday. Nope you're not ready for the "R" chair yet, go get 'em bud.

375supermag
11-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Yep the more you do, the more you -can- do and for longer. (62 here) cancer survivor also, use it or lose it!

Oh and stay away from those reloads, information here says if you shoot them long enough your joints will ache and your skin will wrinkle.. :bigsmyl2:

Oh yeah.. Happy Birthday! Did y'all get any pheasants?

I made a MacFarlane farm-raised pheasant for Thanksgiving last year, WHOA you talk about delicious? Ummm HUMM!!

Actually we did get a couple of pheasants, mostly my son's doing. We flushed several others but could not bring them to bag. Pathetic shooting with new shotguns being the main culprit there.

We had missed opening day here in Pennsylvania because of a minor calamity that very nearly became a major disaster.

Opening morning we were on our way to pick up a friend to go pheasant hunting and when we arrived at his house, we found that the tailgate to the pick-up truck had fell open and our shotgun case was gone. We lost a 12ga Winchester semi-auto shotgun and an 12ga engraved gold-filled Browning BPS pump-action shotgun.

We filed a police report and along with two police officers searched the roads looking for the case. No luck...we were just heartsick...the Browning was a gift to my son 8 years ago when he started hunting and was intended to become a family heirloom to be passed down to him and his future descendants.

We posted flyers at local gun shops, convenience stores, etc, hoping that someone would contact us. In the meantime, we went to a gunshow in York,Pa. that Sunday and bought my son a new Mossberg 12ga auto-loader and myself an Ithaca M37 12ga pump-action shotgun, so that we could go hunting the following Saturday.

On Thursday, late at night two messages were left on my cell phone that somebody had my shotguns and wanted the reward. We spent four days trying to contact the person, before I left a final message on their phone on Sunday that if I didn't hear from them that I would turn their cell phone number into the local police and they would pursue the matter.

That achieved the desired effect and Monday morning I received a call arranging a meeting for that evening. I immediately contacted the police who put the area under surveillance and when the two guys arrived and opened the trunk of their car, police confronted them.

Some hard questions were asked of them regarding why they hadn't turned the guns into the police and wants and warrants were checked and they were found to be decent, law abiding guys who were just a bit confused about what they should have done. After a pretty thorough dressing down by the police they were let go.
I paid them a $200 reward which I had mentioned on the flyers and all was well. My impression was that they didn't normally see $200 that often and were pretty pleased about the whole thing. I explained that I arranged the police presence because I had no idea who they were and wasn't about to take a chance of getting robbed by some miscreants.

After they left, the police talked to me and said I had done everything the right way and commended me for doing the decent thing and paying the reward, although it certainly wasn't required.

So...all is well that ends well. We still haven't figured out why the tail gate flew open, my son had just installed a new locking tonneau cover, so that may have contributed to the latch failure(although it has worked perfectly before and after the incident), but a brand new $25 ratcheting load lock should prevent any repeats.

My bank account is $1200 lighter...the cost of two shotguns and the $200 reward, but that is only money. The important thing is my son got his Browning back and the guns didn't fall into the hands of some criminal.

parson48
11-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Happy B'day to you! Hope you have many more.

66 here. Stay as active as you can for as long as you can.

Remiel
11-06-2014, 12:41 PM
Happy Birthday

MT Gianni
11-06-2014, 05:59 PM
54 was a good year, I've got 4 1/2 months on you.

blackthorn
11-06-2014, 06:51 PM
Best wishes!

trys357
11-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Happy Birthday Sir!

pworley1
11-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Get ready for all those senior citizen discounts. Happy birthday!!

35 shooter
11-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Happy birthday and congrats on getting your guns back. I turned 60 back in july of this year, so welcome to the club!

MaryB
11-06-2014, 10:39 PM
Happy Birthday! And glad you recovered the guns.

sav300
11-07-2014, 06:05 AM
Happy birthday !