PDA

View Full Version : Have an invite to hunt hogs in South Georgia

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
11-06-2014, 08:54 AM
I was talking with a business associate who works for a sod farm in South Georgia. They have clients in the fall to hunt deer in the fall and I'm invited to that, but what really caught my interest was the wild hog problem they have. He shared they have feeders, cameras and are very much interested in having the wild hogs hunted year around, since they damage the crop quite often. Evidentally there are a lot of hogs and this is one of those situations where the ability to have quick follow up shots and a dot type sight would be very useful to thin the herd. Just my type of hunting, as it's stationary, requires a high level of skill with a semi auto rifle and there are multiple targets.

I have an AR308 made by DPMS for Remington. It is one of those R25's, except mine didn't come with the camo sticky stuff. I could use that.

I also have a AR15 lower with expandable stock with an excellent trigger in it. I have seriously been thinking of picking up a simpler, lighter weight 300Blackout upper for this lower.

I want to hunt with cast boolits if I can find an effective boolit for hogs that will fit in the magazines of the above rifles. I would love some help picking out a good boolit.

I absolutely prefer aluminum molds and a minimum of 4 cavities. A Lee mold or NEI mold or a group buy mold would be perfect for me.

Suggestion on the boolit, velocity, lead hardness, powders, etc are welcome.

silverado
12-20-2014, 01:13 PM
Hello, I found this while trying to find info on hunting gun laws in Ga. From what I read it is supposed to be an expanding bullet, so it may be possible let that lead boolits are not allowed. I am still trying to figure that out. I plan on moving back there next year and want to hunt with a 44 mag rifle using boolits.

Tatume
12-20-2014, 01:23 PM
No problem using lead bullets: http://www.eregulations.com/georgia/hunting/feral-hog/

Good luck, they are fun to hunt!

starmac
12-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Ugh, if lead is not considered expanding, what is?

Blammer
12-20-2014, 11:35 PM
I'd use your 308 semi auto and the NOE 311 155gr, should put the hurting on many o piggy's!

richhodg66
12-20-2014, 11:46 PM
I don't own an AR, but the 1907 Winchester I've been working with sure would be fun in that caoacity. Or the 141 in .35 Remington. Or just about any lever gun I own. Or... just bout anything. I'd love to hunt hogs sometime, I'm a little jealous o you guys who have these opportunities.

Bzcraig
12-21-2014, 12:36 AM
I rarely hunt anymore and when I do it's birds but I too would love to put the hurt on some hogs and try the meat.

D Crockett
12-21-2014, 12:50 AM
I have a bullet that I think would be just the ticket on MR HOG it a RCBS 150gr with gas checks it a round flat nose style if you would like to try some I would send you some if you pay the postage on them D Crockett

triggerhappy243
12-21-2014, 02:15 AM
I have talked with someone who did some medical research and did hunt some of these critters. they are not difficult to kill, but if you pi&& one of the bigguns off and they scent you........... you better be good with a follow up shot or have a buddy have your back.

dg31872
12-21-2014, 02:27 AM
They are not as difficult to kill as you may think. I live in central Texas and have don't know how many I have killed. My favorite rifle is a 223 with a 64gr power point.
Here most hogs are in the 80 to 140 pound range and go down easy. I have killed them with 22LR up close. The boars are tougher, but put one in the boiler room and they go down okay. The sows with piglets are to be watched. Get caught on foot with the little ones running around you and the sows get protective.

ashhoe
12-21-2014, 04:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx66ys4JG5o
Not that I approve or disapprove of this method but it looks like they don't require a lot of overkill. They use 556/223 with soft points.

joatmon
12-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Man! I'd love to get that kind of invite!! I'd try to finish up my 300blk that I ran out of funds before I got the barrel and hand guard. In your case I'd have to look hard to beat the 308ar. Hope you get some BIGens when you do go.

Aaron

triggerhappy243
12-21-2014, 04:25 AM
he is shooting a 308... not 223

gtgeorge
12-21-2014, 05:11 AM
Hey Dave, can I come along :)?

Anyhow I hunt down along the Savannah river in South GA as well as any other public land that has them and pretty much any bullet you choose in that .308 will work. This year I shot a few with a .223 AR with 60gr soft points that worked but when they get around 170+ pounds they run off hit behind the shoulder. Head shots anchor them and since you can hunt over feeders that would be best. Son used a 30-30 that worked fine with 150grHP at 2100fps with 3031. Bullet is a Mihec 308 HP cast with 3-3-94. Neck shot dropped it right there on a 170#er. It also took a couple deer as well this year.

Rustyleee
12-21-2014, 08:27 AM
They go down easy if hit but they are also very intelligent. My son was up at his lease last weekend trying to knock off a few and they wouldn't come near the feeder while he was in the nearby ground blind. They had their kin folk shot from that blind before.
You might also find you'll have more success hunting them at night.

TXGunNut
12-22-2014, 12:21 AM
Hogs can indeed be very smart and adaptive. Even with very little hunting pressure they can be very wary and suspicious. Another thing to consider is that whacking big hogs is addictive and someday you'll be buying leverguns or MSR's just because they'd make good hog guns. Some of my like-minded friends and I have a saying; "you can't have too many hog guns", lol.
I prefer a FP .35 cal boolit of 190grs or better but most are indeed easy enough to kill. I load for the big bruisers and try to break major bones to increase recovery chances and decrease the likelihood of one getting cranky with me. The smaller ones are very good eating, the closer you get to 150 lbs the less likely you'll want to dress it, let alone eat it. Don't be ashamed to drag a stinky one off to feed the coyotes.

starmac
12-22-2014, 01:48 AM
We killed trapped hogs with 22's when I was a kid and it was fine, as mentioned, they are not hard to kill. But and there is always a but, I saw a guy miss his shot with a 22 and a hog can take a lot of killing after they get excited. I have never thought they would neccarrily wind and attack you, but an excited one is dangerous if you happen to be in their path when they are running. A sow with pigs, can and will get in attack mode very quick if one of her pigs squeals

A couple of us kids were camped down by lake houston one night and could hear the most god awful noise and brush thrashing you ever heard coming towards camp. We grabbed our guns and got in the shadows, and an old boar apparently mad at the world came thrashing through our camp, right through the middle of our campfire scattering it all over inclding in our sleeping bags. lol I don't know what had that thing so aggravated, but he wasn't going around anything, when he hit a tree that didn't move, he would back up and go around it then.

TXGunNut
12-22-2014, 10:32 PM
It's fun but a little scary to hear two hogs fighting nearby when you're sitting in the dark. They squeal, bellow, thrash around and grunt like critters 3-4 times their size. I suspect your camp wrecker had just had a tussle with one of the neighbors and was still upset about it for some reason.
Quite honestly I've only had a few hogs run directly at me and with one exception they only wanted to get past me, all it usually takes is a quick sidestep and they run by and keep going.

30Carbine
12-22-2014, 11:35 PM
I went down to Texas last year to a hog hunt a pdr guy up here renting part of our shop invited us down to his place. I took my 2 best m2 carbines and all the 30 round mags I got, yes I said m2's. I cost a little bit I had to get what they call a type 157 license for 5 days. holy sheep what fun need to go back next year..wait that's coming up hmmmm gona have to call him now and get set up..

buckwheatpaul
12-23-2014, 08:44 AM
Don't over think the process....are you going to hunt at night...if so you will probably hunt over bait at a distance of 30 or so yards over indirect lighting....I trap and shoot pigs year long to try to save my pastures....have killed them with 22 mag all the way through 308 and 44 mag. Unless you make a bad shot they are relatively easy to dispatch....I quite often harvest the lill' darlins with an olddddd M77 in 308.....the meat is great .... for those of you from the South we stole the slogan from Blue Bell.....we eat all we can and sell the rest.....Quite a large number of serious hunters are going to suppressors on AR platform......good luck and enjoy the hunt and then the tasty end result!

kens
12-23-2014, 08:57 AM
I loaded my own tree stand ammo for deer. I have a M98 mauser in .308. I loaded .30-30 bullets to the entry level loads of 308.
It is low recoil & report compared to full house .308. Great for use in a tree stand.
I call it my 30-30 +P.