PDA

View Full Version : An Experment Gone Right !

pdawg_shooter
02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Every one deserves a little luck once in a while. I have used the 311284 for years, sized .304 and patched up with 16# paper in a Lee Enfield. Using 4895 I can get a little over 2200 with 2.75 to 3.5 groups at a 100. Last weekend I wanted to try some heave for caliber bullets in my 300RUM. All my 311284 had been sized and ptached for the 303 but not yet lubed. I took 20 from storage, lubed them with BAC, and run them through a .309 sizer instead of the .313 I normally use. Using AA8700 I was able to get 2921fps and 1.0 to 1.2 groups. Normally I size not over .001 over bore size but in this case .004 seemed to work just fine. God I do love paper patching !

dromia
02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
You lubed on top of the patch?

Buckshot
02-11-2008, 04:07 AM
You lubed on top of the patch?

..............Sounds lke he did, from .313" to .309". Usually sending an already patched slug through a sizer is to just refine the final size a tad.

pdawg_shooter, holy Hannah on a pogo stick! 1.2" groups at 2900+ fps? some pretty smart ballistics there, hero :-)

BTW, the paper patched 311284 gave me truly outstanding accuracy from a previously somewhat indifferent M91/30 Finn pickup M-N that the Finn's had counterbored. Didn't try any extra special velocity though! However, since I'm not much into PP'ing 30 cal slugs for plinking, I just dredge up the experience evry once in awile as an example:drinks:

..............Buckshot

pdawg_shooter
02-11-2008, 09:11 AM
I always size after lubing. Removes the extra lube. Thats why I like a grooved bullet for patching. The final pass through the die leaves extra lube in the grooves.

Nrut
04-03-2008, 06:03 PM
pdawg_shooter....
What size expander plug do you use in relation to the size of your patched boolit?...
thanks,
:)

pdawg_shooter
04-04-2008, 08:14 AM
I use the standard expander that come with my dies when I use them. In my 30, 33, 35, and 375cals I dont generally resize at all. I bell with a Lee universal and crimp with a Lee crimper. I get the best accuracy that way.

Nrut
04-04-2008, 06:52 PM
Thanks pdawg_shooter...
I am just getting started with PP boolits mostly because of your postings here and the need to figure out how to get around the faster twists that some of my rifles have...
I have spent the better part of this week trying different combinations of boolits and paper to get PP boolit to fit different rifle throats, engrave the lands, keep the boolit base in the neck of the case, and fed from the magizine to chamber...One problem that I am having now is the tearing of the patch as the round starts to enter the chamber...The rifles are CRF mauser actions...Have you ever run up against this problem and if so where you able to solve it?...
thanks,
:)
Almost forgot...how do you meaure "bore dia." with out pin gauges...The land impressions on my my throat and bore slugs are to narrow to meas. with a mic...

pdawg_shooter
04-05-2008, 08:53 AM
I like green bar computer paper for patching, seems to be a little stronger than plain paper. I had a little trouble getting patches to feed without damage in my 1895 marlin till I started crimping with a Lee crimper and removing the paper above the crimp. All my mausers feed fine. You can measure your narrow lands and groves with a digital caliper. Measure from the end of the bullet and the blade will fit in fine. Glad to have you join us. I just cant understand why people fight low velocity, and bad accuracy of bare bullets when its so easy to cure all their problems with a little scrap of paper. I think the most important thing to get right is the correct BHN for the velocity you want. I not blend all my alloys using a Lee hardness tester. If you have any questions I can help you with I am pdawg.shooter@gmail.com.

Nrut
04-05-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for all the tips pdawg_shooter...
I imagine that I'll have more guestions on down the line....As far as alloy goes I am using ACWW to get started and I plan on using ACWW/Pb (50/50) or ACWW+ tin for hunting....Lots of testing to do both for accuracy and penetration/expansion....
I bought Paul Matthews "The Paper Jacket" when it first came out and after reading it I figured the only advantage of using a PP boolit over a GG boolit was that you could shoot pure lead up to around 2000-2200 fps....Heck then I was shooting a Ruger #3 45-70 with 420gr. GG boolits at 1700fps with no leading and no desire to go to 2000 fps ....Now I am loading for smaller bores 8mm, .358, and 9.3 and would like to move up into the 2100-2500 fps vel. area now that I read it can be done with PP....
That and as I move into old fartdom I find the longer it takes to build and load a round the more I enjoy it...:)

pdawg_shooter
04-07-2008, 01:06 PM
ACWW work for me up to about 2700/2750fps and makes a good hunting bullet.