PDA

View Full Version : Remington 722 blues

Jonnytoobad
11-03-2014, 02:21 AM
My uncle recently asked me to put a scope on an old Remington 722 chambered in .308.

So I cleaned the rifle it was very dirty and neglected. I noticed some pitting on the bolt face so I assumed it has been used to shoot reloads and had pierced primers. I also noticed some scarring on the locking lug from an older scope screw. I didn't have a head space gauge but the barrel was in excellent shape, So I assumed it wasn't risky to fire.

I took the rifle to the range with an old shooting buddy (my mom) I loaded 4 rounds of 150 grain Federal .308 into the mag. I shot 3 rounds and the rifle seemed to be shooting insanely low. Like 4 feet! I chambered the last round and fired. I saw a large white flash and felt my safety glasses forced into my face.

I opened the bolt, the back of the case was black. The web of the case had two large longitudinal gas cuts and the gas blew onto the bolt face adding more gas cutting to it. Some of that gas came back through the bolt and onto my glasses and face.

I Haven't dissected the case yet. But the primer isn't pierced... I think the rim of the primer wall cracked. Which caused the near rupture. There is no visible ring on the cartridge but i suspect the head space is bad enough that the case is hitting the bolt face and cracking the primers.

Luckily they make new bolts for these rifles.

always wear safety glasses.
Jonny

Tatume
11-03-2014, 07:14 AM
Jonny, you are very fortunate.