PDA

View Full Version : Mag primers question.

45-70 Chevroner
11-02-2014, 10:53 PM
My neighbor (a fairly new reloader) was wondering if he could use small pistol Mag primers in place of standard small pistol primers he will be using these in several different calibers, such as 9mm, 40 S&W 357mag and 38 special. I didn't have an answer for him. I have been loading for a very long time and have never tried it and have never even used Mag primers in all my reloading years. I am sure they will be ok in the 357 mag where called for. As for the other three, there is a big question mark. Help me out here guys so I can forewarn him, if need be.

Tar Heel
11-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Use the primers indicated in the loading data published by the industry manufacturers. Swapping out primers with mag primers can be dangerous. Not to be redundant here but this is addressed in excruciating detail in all the loading manuals. It's dangerous sir - especially in an "intense" cartridge like the 9mm or similar cartridge which operates on the hairy edge.

happie2shoot
11-03-2014, 12:44 AM
start low and work up. I have used all kinds of primers in the 454 casull to prove a point.

The people that shoot 9 major use small rifle primers all the time.

Start low and work up.

Tatume
11-03-2014, 07:17 AM
start low and work up. I have used all kinds of primers in the 454 casull to prove a point.

The people that shoot 9 major use small rifle primers all the time.

Start low and work up.

Absolutely. The warnings apply to those happy souls who load maximum loads. Changing any component can cause trouble. But minimum loads are another matter altogether. Load the minimum, and if all goes well you may want to increase the load a bit for next time. Or not; after all, why shoot powerful loads for practice?

BCB
11-03-2014, 09:35 AM
This gets to be a subject that gets debated from time to time…

I once saw and article in Handloader Magazine (?) many years ago and they compared the different primers…

If I remember correctly, there were some “regular” primers that were as “powerful” as some other brand’s designated magnum primers…

But, I supposed if one is using the specific brand name of primers mentioned in the reloading data, it might matter…

Although it might be classified as a “Cardinal Sin” (whatever that is) I have certainly used primers other than what is mentioned in the reloading data…

Some data simply says: Use a small pistol primer, or large rifle primer, or whatever and doesn’t even designate the brand. There's no doubt primers are different among manufacturers...

Good-luck…BCB

GoodOlBoy
11-03-2014, 09:44 AM
to reiterate. Use published load data. Swapping a mag primer for a non-mag primer in the same powder charge is a no no, and can not only be dangerous, in some cases it can be downright deadly. In others not so much. When in doubt, if no load data exists contact the powder company. They may actually have non-published data they will share. This has happened for me a couple of times.

GoodOlBoy

Love Life
11-03-2014, 10:44 AM
Rework up your loads and enjoy happy reloading.

bangerjim
11-03-2014, 11:34 AM
Key comment was "new reloader". As stated, he should probably stick to published data if not famililer on how to play with loads!

I use mags and standards interchangeably all the time, but never with the same loads!

Just start small and work up, watching for all the warning signs to know when to stop.

banger

45-70 Chevroner
11-03-2014, 12:50 PM
bangerjim, Thanks, I knew that him being new at reloading was not a good situation for him to start experimenting. I called him and told him not to use them except in accordance with the manual. I know I personally could make them work with some workup, but I'm not a magnum guy anyway.