PDA

View Full Version : PID controller help needed

Flashkayak
11-02-2014, 06:10 PM
I built my PID temp. controller with a TET7100 PID, K thermocouple, and 25amp SSR.
When I got it working I se the temp. at 700 deg. and auto tunedit a couple of times.
It smoothed out at 699 to 701 after auto tuneing a couple of times. I decided that was to hot and reset temp. to 650deg. I auto tuned it twice and both times when I went back out after a short time ,the PID was dead. Anyone have any idea where I went wrong? Any and all advice welcome.
Dick in Emmett , Idaho.

Mike W1
11-02-2014, 06:28 PM
Nothings coming to mind. When you say the PID was dead are you meaning there was nothing lit at all? What did you have to do the first time, unplug it and plug it back in? Something I'm not catching here so can't help.

Flashkayak
11-02-2014, 06:42 PM
I just let it set for a little while then turned it back on and it lit up with EEEE and a few seconds later it started showing temperature.

el34
11-02-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm not familiar with that brand, the ones I know about have a similar display for the first several seconds of power-up during what they call 'self test'. After the EEEE does it appear to work correctly?

I found a site with a pdf of the manual if anyone is interested-
http://www.temperaturecontrolwiki.com/classifieds/pictures/80805437-XMT7100-Temperature-Temp-Controller-SSR-Output-Drive-Arizona-Phoenix_3.pdf

It says EEEE means out of range, maybe also means 'booting up'. Pretty straight forward controller.

So does it go dead and then become undead? The more details you describe the better the chances that somebody will understand the cause.

Mike W1
11-03-2014, 06:12 PM
Without any more details all I can suggest is check your connections and your parameter settings.

Mike W1
11-03-2014, 07:13 PM
www.castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-199452.html

Some trouble shooting measures in that one that might help too.

Flashkayak
11-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks to all who posted help. I went thru all the settings and they were right. I am biting the boolit and have ordered a new one from Auberins.com The one I have been trying to use was one I bought on ebay several years ago. I'll post when I get the new one up and running.
Dick

auber

HATCH
11-04-2014, 08:04 AM
EEEE on the screen normally means no thermocouple installed.
Or I should say it does with a handful of ones I have.

el34
11-04-2014, 11:05 PM
UUUU = no tc connected on Mypin. The brand the OP has says EEEE = 'out of range', whatever that means.

Flashkayak
11-08-2014, 12:38 AM
Got my new SYL-1512A PID from auber on Thursday and wired it up today. Works like it should.
What pot temp. is best for casting 38 special 158 gn. swc boolits in a lee 6 boolit mold.
Next up is a mold heating oven. Have to figure out how to

el34
11-08-2014, 04:43 PM
I'd say start with 700deg, that works pretty well for everything except for small boolits. You could lower it to maybe 650-675 but 700 doesn't really do anything bad. Drop it a bit if your mold gets to where it takes 'a while' to cool off to keep the boolits shiny or if you're waiting a half-hour to cut the sprue.

upr45
11-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Temperature sensors -- there are RTD's or thermocouples. If yours is a K type thermocouple, and "The brand the OP has says EEEE = 'out of range' ", then you probably have a loose or intermittent connection on either the PID on the thermocouple terminals or somewhere up to the thermocouple junction itself. Else you could have a thermocouple that is not rated for 700F. I would recommend you look at the connections associated with the thermocouple. Hope this helps.
Also a dirty connection on the power feed to the PID could make the PID crash due to repeated voltage collapses when the load is connected.