PDA

View Full Version : HSM 305 grn bear loads

charcoleburner54
11-02-2014, 09:10 AM
I just bought a box of 44s, I dont reload so I have to, I was wondering if any of you have used them on targets or meat and what are your thoughts on their preforman. What I have learned from this site is heavy cast boolits are the way to go for pistole loads. I am planning on useing my 7.5" SBH as my primary hunting weapon, I hunt Dear,Elk and Bear. My Dear hunting is in varried terrain whitetail in heavy timber, Mule Dear in open country so I want one boolit for all, your thoughts are greatly appreciated thanks.

Tatume
11-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Welcome to the list. It would help if you used punctuation.

Yes, people tend to favor heavy bullets for a variety of reasons, but they are not always needed. What are you hunting? Heavy bullets are generally not needed for most cartridges and smaller game species. For example, high-quality 240 grain cast bullets will work just fine in the 44 Remington Magnum when used on deer, black bears and "meat" hogs (under 200 pounds). It would be light for 500 pound hogs or grizzly bears.

While you're at it, take a look at Montana Bullet Works for high-quality hunting cast bullets: http://montanabulletworks.com/

Also contact Bullshop on this list, as he makes hunting bullets too. The commonly available commercial cast bullets are not as accurate, nor are they as reliable in game performance as high-quality cast bullets made by experts.

Take care, Tom

birddog
11-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Charcoleburner,
The 305 gr 44 load is more than enough for the big critters, but I would not want to shoot a steady diet of these. If you are at the range just plinking try something lighter. I see you do not reload so the options will be limited to what is available where you shop.
Good Luck,
Charlie