PDA

View Full Version : New fella. My record-keeping data collected. Anything else except target results?

Tallbald
11-01-2014, 02:28 PM
I cast three alloy mixes yesterday making Lee 358-125 RF for my .357's and .38 Specials. My goal is to find the optimum alloy mix for me with the least amount of WW to pure lead, using my chosen powder. I carefully kept the three alloys separate, and the pot leftovers stayed separate and labeled.
This morning I sized all three batches. I kept data recorded on a notepad, and tried to think of other pertinent data I can use in future casting. Am I missing something?

Mix of pure lead, WW and % of tin by weight.
***Added** Water quench or air hardening
Type lube (LLA)
Diameter as cast and lubed, measured with micrometer before sizing (should have measured before lubing--didn't think of it at the time)
Diameter after sizing without lube
Notes as to appearance, fins at bullet base (back into the ingot pile to re cast), frosting, wrinkles, etc.

I have no plans to be a competitive bench rest shooter. I just want records for myself to be better able to repeat good recipes and cull the poor ones. I already label boxes of loads with powder, charge, primer type and brand. I'm saving money for a scale with which I can weigh my slugs, but right now have a Lee that only goes to 100 grains.
Thanks. Don
**Forgot that I also document if a batch was water quenched or air hardened

country gent
11-01-2014, 02:39 PM
You might want to do a hardness test of some sort ( pencil test, a hardened ball between pure lead and a bullet, measured indentation. I believe a automatic center punch with the point ground to a radious and set light would give a good comparrison also) something to allow for hardness to be duplicated. You might want to also document pot temp also as this can affect size. Ambient temperature also might be good to know. I would rather have information in records I dont need than have smoething not there I do need.

popper
11-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Final size may change due to alloy, otherwise a good & proper test method. I'd keep track of the WW hardness unless you have a single really large batch. IMHO, I'd use a different lube if you can, LLA may vary performance, less is better. Doing similar testing for my 300BO, started with a pretty wide variance in alloy - saw interesting results..

Tallbald
11-01-2014, 06:53 PM
Country Gent- the automatic center punch test. Is it measuring as best I can or is it an objective appearance of the indentation? I wouldn't have a clue of a mathematical formula though I'm sure there is one somewhere.
Popper. When you suggest a different lube, are you referring to the home blended mix of LLA/Johnson's Paste Wax /mineral spirits combo referenced here on the forum? I tumble lube right now exclusively ...well...a plastic baggie, a few squirts of warmed LLA, and hand massage. I learned the warming trick of course here on the forum. No real wish right now to buy the stuff needed to press a heavy wax lube into the lube grooves. And I'd like to add a tumble lube bullet mold in .44 caliber for .44 Magnum in the future. Thanks for responding. Don