PDA

View Full Version : 222 help

joejr
02-08-2008, 05:01 PM
i have a rem 722 in 222rem that is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot. i don't shoot it much because i don't want to wear it out with j bullets. what boolit mould would you fellas recomend its got a 1 in 14" twist
thanks
joejr

felix
02-08-2008, 05:12 PM
So far, it is hard to prove which boolit design is best. This is an on-going project that is just now getting started. So, in the meantime, just get any that suits your fancy and easily obtained. A gascheck design is a must, and that much we know for sure. ... felix

Bass Ackward
02-08-2008, 05:46 PM
i have a rem 722 in 222rem that is the most accurate rifle i have ever shot. i don't shoot it much because i don't want to wear it out with j bullets. what boolit mould would you fellas recomend its got a 1 in 14" twist thanks, joejr

Joe,

Strange thing about 22s is that they can be just like everything else.

Often what bullet mold " YOU " need will be driven by what your throat looks like. You will need a slug of your throat to answer all that. A second factor is if you want a bullet design for hunting or just general shooting. (round nose vs meplat) Cause if you don't need a meplat, why get one? Just .... slows you down so to speak. :grin:

Otherwise, you will be doomed to years of buying molds, sizers, and experimenting for results. Not bad punishment if you ask me.

joejr
02-08-2008, 06:24 PM
felix and bass ackward, thanks guys ,i havn't seen much info on 22s so thats why i asked. i'll just pick a mould and try it. i won't be able to shoot till the snows gone, so that gives me a couple of monthsor more. i'll post the results
thanks
joejr

beagle
02-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Joe,,,from my experience, either a 225415 or RCBS 22-55-SP seems to work pretty well so far on my initial experiments.

I just picked up a M700 HB and so far, the 22-55-SP is the winner in it hands down but I'm just getting started on messing with it./beagle

joejr
02-08-2008, 08:42 PM
thanks beagle,i just looked at that mold at midway site,i thought it looked better than the lyman 225646 55 grain semipointed
joejr

mroliver77
02-09-2008, 01:58 AM
Joe, PM me your adress and I will send some .22 boolits for you to try. I have a 45 and 55grain Lyman
J

Vly
02-09-2008, 12:39 PM
I've been playing with the .222 off and on for a couple years. My rifle is a Remington 700 ADL that I picked up used around 1980. It shoots 50 gr j-word bullets very well. It is dismal with 55 gr bullets, which is likely related to 1 in 14 twist, although other guys with the same twist shoot the 55 grainers with no problem.

I have 2 moulds, the RCBS 55-SP and an Eagan MX2. The RCBS is a joy to cast with, perfect boolits just fall from the mould. They weigh 57 gr in my lino/ww alloy. The Eagan is a single cavity nose pour and can be finicky about filling out the base perfectly. They weigh 46 grs in lino/ww alloy.

My rifle has a definite preference for the lighter Eagan boolit. My best load uses 15 grs of IMR-4198 with a Winchester small rifle primer. I have chrono'ed this load at 2575 fps and have measured a 5 shot 100 yd group at 1.12 inches. This load will consistently perform.

I would advise experimenting with lighter versus heavier boolits before you commit to buying a mould if possible.