PDA

View Full Version : Best barrels for cast boolits

Marlin Junky
02-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Who makes the best barrels for superior cast boolit accuracy? Krieger?

I've decided to rebarrel my .358 Hawkeye.

MJ

felix
02-08-2008, 04:59 PM
Yes, my current preference. If you are talking hand hold pistol, then go for something cheaper that still meets your specs for the most part. Cheaper won't allow land height/spacing for example. ... felix

Marlin Junky
02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
Felix,

Nah, I want a 24" rifle barrel. Probably with a 16" twist but if the quality of the barrel is up there and the grooves are deep enough I could go with a 1 in 14. Doubt I'll shoot anything heavier than a 260 and I'm also looking for ultra accurate plinking with peestol boolits like Lyman 358156. Although, I may have a feeding problem with the SWC's because lots of my boolit designs hang up on the Hawkeye before they make it all the way into the chamber.

MJ

Frank46
02-09-2008, 01:10 AM
felix, can you actually specify land height/ spacing with kreiger barrels?. This is something new to me. Thanks, Frank

felix
02-09-2008, 01:28 AM
MJ, why not be a strange duck and go for a 18 twist? You'd still have good deer range capability with with a 220 grainer. That would be an excellent 160-180 grainer twist. Pick your poison. Don't your already have a Whelen? ... felix

I can see great accuracy with the 160-180 grainers at 2400 fps. What deer have you seen that cannot be taken at that speed with that weight range? ... felix

Pay attention to what BA says in answering Frank. ... felix

felix
02-09-2008, 01:30 AM
Frank, I can go into details if you like, but I would prefer to divert you over to Bass Ackwards (BA) who has actually dealt with Krieger over the past year or so. If he does not interject here, then I will reapply. ... felix

Marlin Junky
02-09-2008, 05:54 AM
Felix,

Yeah I already have a Handi-Rifle in .35 Whelen which is basically a learning tool for me but I would like a scope sighted repeater that can handle SAECO 352 and a 250 to 260 grain custom mold or two from Mountain Molds. The H-R Whelen has such a long and wide throat that the only mold I have which is compatible with it drops a 260 grain SWC. Lyman 358156 would basically be used for fun and to keep the porcupines and other large varmints in check and would need to reliably feed from the magazine... which my 260 SWC does not do from the M77.

MJ

Bass Ackward
02-09-2008, 07:37 AM
felix, can you actually specify land height/ spacing with kreiger barrels?. This is something new to me. Thanks, Frank

Frank,

Yes. Also twist rate. And the limits are controlled by their tooling which they can tell you exactly based upon the caliber you inquire about. They have a telephone number listed on their WEB page. And they used to have a guy there that competed with lead, so they understood your questions.

Just bear in mind that when you get taller rifling, you will need to ask them what size pilot for your reamer because a standard pilot probably will not work then. So let the barrel be the first step.

Then think about how that taller rifling is going to affect your choices for bullet designs.

Don,

What about a compromise at 15 twist then?

Marlin Junky
02-09-2008, 03:09 PM
What about a compromise at 15 twist then?

Bass,

You got something for sale? I need the whole rifle. The only gunsmithing tools I own are hand powered and I don't even have a barrel vise and action wrench yet.

MJ

DanLee
02-09-2008, 06:31 PM
Felix,

The H-R Whelen has such a long and wide throat that the only mold I have which is compatible with it drops a 260 grain SWC. Lyman 358156 would basically be used for fun and to keep the porcupines and other large varmints in check and would need to reliably feed from the magazine... which my 260 SWC does not do from the M77.

MJ

Look at NEI's 358-268-GC-DD (#167) if you need something for a long throat. I have a Rem 700 Classic in .35 Whelen and that throat is long enough to qualify as a Weatherby freebore. NEI will also cut a DD band in other molds for a nominal fee.

Dan

leftiye
02-10-2008, 03:11 AM
Seems like a Loverin design would also solve that throat problem. Gotta admit I'm not as allergic to boolits stickin way out of a case as some are. Not too worried about the base coinciding with the shoulder end of the neck either. Put them in a storage box boolit end up, keep them in a cool place, and shoot them when you take then out of the box.

Marlin Junky
02-11-2008, 05:18 AM
Look at NEI's 358-268-GC-DD (#167) if you need something for a long throat. I have a Rem 700 Classic in .35 Whelen and that throat is long enough to qualify as a Weatherby freebore. NEI will also cut a DD band in other molds for a nominal fee.

Dan

I haven't heard a whole lot about NEI since Walt died... I don't know if I can trust them to make a quality mold any more. Their website sure is lame.

MJ

stocker
02-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Marlin Junky:
I got a meehanite 348 mould from NEI about a year or so ago (post- Walt). Still as good as any mould I've had in the past. Casts and drops as it should, dimensions correct. Delivery was prompt. No complaints from me on the quality. The only mods I did was to break the sharpness of the exterior edges with a stone as they were very sharp.