PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota Duck Hunting

garandsrus
10-31-2014, 01:02 PM
A couple buddies (two guys and a dog) are in SD, near Mitchell, for a duck hunting trip. The pond we normally go to is bone dry. Any suggestions on places to go would be appreciated! I normally go with them but couldn't make it this year.

The guys are very experienced and responsible hunters.

Thanks!

skeeter2
10-31-2014, 01:17 PM
Grew up in ND and never hunted ducks over the water. Better to set up in a cut corn or soybean stubble field. You stay dry and don't need a boat or waders. You could always tell the out of state hunters. They were to ones with the boats. Scout the night before to see where they feed and set up there the next morning. It will require contacting the land owner, and a really early morning. Good luck.

MaryB
10-31-2014, 11:46 PM
Over towards Brookings you will find a lot of small lakes and ponds. Lots of pheasants over there too.

GhostHawk
11-01-2014, 09:08 AM
Brookings has a lot of small lakes, slough's and the Souix river flowing in the area. All the way from there up to the border with ND is all prime country.

My Wife is from there.

Ducks/geese adapt quickly to changing conditions. Either hopping right over a dry area, or adjusting path to slide east or west into wetter area.

Might want to see what your buddy's can find right on the river. You know there is water there.

cheese1566
11-01-2014, 10:39 AM
Go west young man!
I would head west towards the Missouri River and get in on some Honkers. But he weather here has been pretty warm so I don't think the big Canadiens are down yet.

MaryB
11-01-2014, 10:10 PM
I have been outside last 2 afternoons and no geese flying. I am normally on a big flyway for them.

garandsrus
11-02-2014, 12:21 AM
My buddies found a spot to hunt ducks but I don't know how they are doing. They got a couple roosters today. I am not sure if they are still near Mitchell.