PDA

View Full Version : Lee Shotgun Slugs

Philster
10-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Hi Guys, I am new here and thanks for bearing with me. I have been reloading for rifle and pistol since the 70's and at one time was an avid bird hunter. I always bought my shotgun shells and never reloaded them. Since they don't allow shooting shot at my local range, we took my defense shotguns and shot some slugs through them. I can't tell you how much fun we had. What a hoot. Anyway at nearly a dollar per round I decided to cast my own slugs and bought a little Lee Load all 2. I will be using Herco Military Surplus powder, Win AA hulls and WAA12 wads and the 1 ounce lee slug. I have also purchased some various nitro wads in case needed. The Lee guide only states maximum charge of 36 grains Herco. I have thus far been unable to find any other herco loads for the lee slugs. If this charge is listed as maximum, are there any lower loads listed anywhere? I was just going to reduce 10% starting out, but as I am new at any form of shot shell reloading I want to proceed with caution. I want to use the herco because I have 6 pounds I just acquired. I also have some waa12R wads if needed. Any pointers or advice in regards to loading up these slugs would be appreciated as well. Kind regards, Phil

tazman
10-31-2014, 11:30 AM
I have an Alliant manual listing the exact components mentioned in your post. They also list a max of 36 grains of Herco giving a velocity of 1587fps.
Since the components are all identical, I would consider that load to be safe. If you wish to use a lower powder charge that should also be quite safe.
By the way, they are using a Winchester 209 primer.

blaster
10-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Unless you are stuck on herco you shold be able to make some softer shooting loads with those components, clays, universal, red dot and a trap load.

35remington
10-31-2014, 12:19 PM
I do just that. Use 17 grains of 700x Red Dot or Clays. Mild recoil, about 1150 fps. Just what you want.

dondiego
10-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Welcome aboard Philster. There is a "Loading for Shotgun" forum here that is a wealth of info on the question you are asking. Check it out!

dondiego
10-31-2014, 12:30 PM
Correction: That forum is called "Casting for Shotgun".

Philster
10-31-2014, 12:44 PM
Welcome aboard Philster. There is a "Loading for Shotgun" forum here that is a wealth of info on the question you are asking. Check it out!

Thanks and Will take a look at that.

Philster
10-31-2014, 12:46 PM
Actually the powder supply is not good here and I do have 6 pounds of military surplus herco I would like to use up.

Philster
10-31-2014, 12:51 PM
Tazman,
Thanks for taking the time to look up the load in your Alliant book. I did order the newest Lyman shot gun manual but it only gives some information on Slugs and no loads. Does your Alliant book suggest any lower or starting loads? Since this is surplus military powder I am a little more concerned with starting at 36 grains. Do you think I should just reduce 10% if not? PS I am using Win 209 Primers. Thanks for your response, Kind regards, Phil

jmort
10-31-2014, 01:02 PM
Herco is a great powder. Downloading Herco should be done with caution. This has some good info

http://forums.handloads.com/archive/forum_posts.asp?TID=14415

tazman
10-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Tazman,
Thanks for taking the time to look up the load in your Alliant book. I did order the newest Lyman shot gun manual but it only gives some information on Slugs and no loads. Does your Alliant book suggest any lower or starting loads? Since this is surplus military powder I am a little more concerned with starting at 36 grains. Do you think I should just reduce 10% if not? PS I am using Win 209 Primers. Thanks for your response, Kind regards, Phil
This manual doesn't list any starting loads for anything. Just the max loads. I still think you would be ok reducing 10% for stating loads.

Idz
10-31-2014, 02:29 PM
Since these are "for fun" shooting why not just buy some cheap target ammo, remove the shot, and load in a slug? Many folks have successfully used the Lee slugs in this way. Check out the forum for instructions.

Garyshome
10-31-2014, 05:17 PM
I think wal mart has stuff for $26/100. that price is real hard to beat when reloading.