PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Spotting Scopes

Bigscot
10-30-2014, 08:14 PM
I have gift card for Gander Mountain and am thinking about getting a better/larger spotting scope. I was looking at the Bushnell Custom Series 15-45x60 or one of the Barska scopes. Does anyone have any experience with these. Is there another one which is better? I would like one with the angled eye piece. Looking in the $100 - $250 range.

Thanks,

Bigscot

freebullet
10-30-2014, 08:42 PM
I've a barska 20-60, it's ok. It works fine for range duty, would leave you wanting more hunting in low light. Ours was only 60$ on clearance, I don't think I'd pay more for it either.

country gent
10-30-2014, 08:51 PM
There are some very good spotting scopes out there. I have never used the Barska scopes but have seen them on the line. I have used bushnells at times. One thing to watch for is eye relief. The variable eyepieces can change eye relief with power changes making wearing glasses and using them difficult. I use the spotting scope not only to spot holes but to read wind with mirage when possible. Also bigger oblectives give a better view, more light and clarity. I recently purchased a set of clestron 25X 100mm observation binoculars that work great for spotting ajots in BPCR shillouettes. These are close to your price range were $300.00. On a solid tripod I can see .22 cal holes at 200-300yds depending on range and conditions. Look at them and compare them buy actyally looking at the same things in the store as far away as possible. I have used kowas and unertals for many years.

Artful
10-30-2014, 08:56 PM
for long range target shooting we are using TV camera's now - I have a 90mm scope and you can't come close to the TV's at longer ranges - for Barska - I have several items and two things get the most use - I have a pair of mini binoculars and we use the LARGE/Heavy Barska 12-60 x 70mm Binoculars on tripod for closer range targets while at the range (300 and under).

bruce drake
10-30-2014, 09:02 PM
What you'll want is to find a nice scope with at least an 80mm objective lens. That's the large end of the scope for us regular folk and it controls the amount of light that comes into the scope as well as provides a better level of resolution which allows you to have a bigger and clearer field of view than a smaller scope. . The magnification lens depends on your planned use. if you are scoping several hundred yards away across a valley than you'll want at least 45x or up to 60x on the max magnification. If you are looking at 100 yards at the range, a 20x will work fine. But I'll repeat the need for a larger objective lens. It will aid in low-light conditions as well.

Bruce

jcwit
10-30-2014, 09:52 PM
I'd call those pricy as well.

Everyone read the last sentence of the OP's post? $100 to $250 price range.

MaryB
10-30-2014, 09:57 PM
With any spotting scope the bigger the front lens diameter the better it will perform in low light conditions, that is coming from my use of telescopes to view stars, bigger the scope the dimmer the stars you can see. For the range I have an elcheapo Harbor Freight spotting scope. If it gets knocked over or off the table no big deal. I do want to get a better spotting scope but was looking at one of the telescope manufacturers for it. http://www.telescope.com/Telescopes/Spotting-Scopes/Orion-GrandView-16-48x65mm-Waterproof-Zoom-Spotting-Scope/pc/-1/c/1/sc/16/p/103115.uts

cbrick
10-30-2014, 10:19 PM
If you get any scope in the 1-2 hundred dollar range you'll get what ya get. You really do want/need the best light transmission & clearest lens you can get, it does make a huge difference.

The majority of my experience with spotting scopes is Kowa, after getting I just never saw a need to look at any other scopes but they aren't in your stated price range. Sadly my Kowa was stolen so maybe I'll be looking for another.

Rick

fouronesix
10-30-2014, 11:07 PM
For a spotting scope in the 250 max range- most all will be about 250 worth of optics. Another way of saying you get what you pay for. A scope for the range is different from one for hunting- but then again that depends on if you are hunting on two legs or "hunting" on four wheels.

For 100 yard bullet holes, most scopes will do. For 300 yard small bullet holes, you'll need a good scope. That doesn't necessarily mean huge objective or 80X. Also, bigger scopes and higher powers require better tripods or mounts. Big, high power scopes at low prices will have lower quality glass and may yield poorer results than smaller, lower power scopes at similar price points.

btroj
10-30-2014, 11:14 PM
You get what you pay for.
I have a Cabelas variable I started with. It is a decent scope but not the clearest or brightest. Once I bought my Kowa I wouldn't be without it. With a 27x eyepiece I can see holes better at 100 than I ever could with the Cabelas variable even at 48x.
Sometimes it is more about light gathering than it is magnification.

This is a great place to spend a bunch and never regret it. I know I didnt.

country gent
10-30-2014, 11:19 PM
A fairly reasonably priced double duty spotting astronmical scopes are made by Meade they use telescope eyepieces which are cheaper than the ones for spotting scopes. Keep in mind higher magnification for longer distances mirage becomes a real issue seeing also.I have 2 Kowas a 25X77 long eye relief and a 28x82(?) long eye relief both will show bullet holes at 300 yds under normal conditions on a nrth facing range. Under very good conditions I could see 30 cal holes at 600yds with the 28X. My scopes are on the old freeland stands ( desighned for position shooting from offhand thru prone) and sit on the ground not on the bench, they also have a wind spike thats a big help in keeping them upright. Kowas are expensive Scope body, eye piece, and a stand but they are darn good and dependable. Mine have been carried jostled around for 20+ years and still going strong. Unertals are very good also. I have always wanted a 60X X1000mm unertal team scope but used I could buy a couple Kowas and make a set of binoculars LOL.

MaryB
10-30-2014, 11:24 PM
want some giants binoculars? http://www.telescope.com/Binoculars/Big-Binoculars/Orion-BT100-Premium-Binocular-Telescope/pc/-1/c/5/sc/68/p/102415.uts

fastfire
10-31-2014, 01:53 AM
Kowa... or Unertl
of course Unertl is pricy so here is a Kowa link

http://shop.opticsplanet.com/kowa-spottingscopes.html?gclid=CMWdiNLf1cECFZc2aQodSHsA jA

If yer goina spend that much fer a spottin scope, might as well get this. Then ya wouldn't need a spotin scope.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/nightforce-nxs-5-5-22x50mm-riflescope-30mm-mil-r-reticle.html

1johnlb
10-31-2014, 02:38 AM
I picked up a millet 6~25x56 on sale for $180.00. Didn't have anything to mount it to so I build a 223 ar with 24 " barrel and love it scope and gun. I can watch my boolit all the way to the 200 m line and see the holes in the paper. The only bad part is taking up 2 benches at the range to use it as a spotting scope.:bigsmyl2:

abunaitoo
10-31-2014, 03:42 AM
If they have them, check out Vortex.
I've had one for a few years now with no problems at all.
They have a great warranty. Great customer service.
I would suggest you look for one with as much eye relief as possible.
I had a Barska. Tasco is better.

dragon813gt
10-31-2014, 05:30 AM
Barska is junk. Worse piece of glass I've ever bought. Any of my rifle scopes are better even though they are lower power magnification. You get what you pay for so spend accordingly.

kungfustyle
10-31-2014, 05:41 AM
There is something to be said for Burris's and Leupold Lifetime warranty that transfers from owner to owner. You can get a great spotting scope used from e-bay for what your going to pay for a lesser quality scope and if something goes wrong....they will stand by it. Also a selling feature if you want to upgrade/trade it out. Just a thought.

bobthenailer
10-31-2014, 06:59 AM
I know a few people who have Kowia , there fantastic ! you can see bullet hole sharp past 300 yards.
IMO look at a Nikon Kit about $450
I have a Bushnell banner 20x in my BE shootin box and a Leupold wind river in 15x40 angled eyepeice, it lack's sharpness at 300 yards but bullet holes can be made out just not clear enough , wish i would of bought a better scope.

ole 5 hole group
10-31-2014, 07:33 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?228776-spotting-scope

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-31-2014, 07:56 AM
I have a Bushnell Spacemaster from the early 1980s.
it is excellent for range duty. it has the 45º angle removable eyepiece, mine is variable 15x to 45x and has a 60mm objective. I see many with removable fixed eyepieces that are 20x. You can find them on ebay once in a while for $100 or so.

I am curious if the newly made Bushnell's are as good, or even better ?

PS, I really like the 45º eyepiece. At the range, I setup the spotting scope on another bench, and generally walk over to it and stand while looking through it.

Jeff82
10-31-2014, 09:23 AM
I've used both Barska and Bushnell spotting scopes. Barskas will do the job, but they are fragile. The one I had broke within a year. The optics weren't great, but for the price it did the job. The Bushnells are built better and have a pretty good limited warranty. I've had good luck with both their spotting scopes and binoculars. The 15-45 x 60 you mention should be good to about 200 yards and should be fairly bright.

MtGun44
10-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I have a high end fluorite Kowa, a Nikon and a TeleVue (which you will never have heard of
but is top quality astro/earth scope) and a Konuspot 20-60x-80.

No question that the Kowa is a bit sharper and has extremely long eye relief,
and the Nikon sharp and is smaller and lighter, and the TeleVue Ranger is just
- well, special and uses astro eyepieces, some of which are in a class by
themselves - BUT the Konuspot is a really decent quality scope and has been
my standard range scope now for 3-4 years. I thought enough of it to give several
to relatives as gifts. Absolutely outstanding scope, IMO by far the best
bargain out there in the $200-300 price range.

http://www.amazon.com/Konus-7120-20x-60x80mm-Spotting-Tripod/dp/B001DX7Q8W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1414793329&sr=8-1&keywords=konuspot+80

By the way, just looking through a scope and then looking through another
a different time is almost 100% a waste of time if the scopes are anywhere
near each other. Yes, you can tell absolute junk from a great scope, but not
a good scope from a very good scope. If at all possible, set up the competitors
side by side and look at something like a dollar bill or newspaper at about
30-50 ft. See how small a type font you can read. Just looking at "stuff"
is VERY misleading, you need to see what you can actually resolve, and that
requires something like being able to read or not read fine print.

Bill

butch2570
10-31-2014, 09:27 PM
I have a Nikon spotter xl 16 x 47 x 60 mm and for general glassing out to 800 - 1000 yds for deer and bear in the brush , I much prefer a good set of binos instead just because of the the one eye getting tired when using for extended periods. It isn't as accurate for judging size or detail but otherwise works good for me.

MaryB
10-31-2014, 11:21 PM
At one of the astronomy star parties out west they put a 4x8' sheet of cardboard on a cliff 1/2 mile from the viewing field. One of the daylight competitions is to see how many of the lines you can count in each 2 foot section. As you go left to right top to bottom the number of lines increase and change orientation. One of the best tests of a scope out there.

country gent
10-31-2014, 11:42 PM
Maybe try to see a Bar Code on a package across the store with both of them. I always liked checking them on comercial row at Camp Perry as they had stands outside with the samples set up and you could zero on the ranges or other things to see how good they were

Rufus Krile
11-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Wanted to throw my 2Cents worth in for the Kowa... I have the 27X ler eyepiece on the old 77mm objective lens and it has soldiered along mightily for 20+ years. The thing to watch/want on spotting scopes is long eye relief (to avoid fatigue when you're on the scope a lot) and resolution... the clarity of the image. Kowas are outstanding. It's very common to be able to watch bullets in flight. Yep, they're pricey but buy once, cry once.

Bigscot
11-01-2014, 09:54 AM
Thanks for all the information! A lot to digest. In hind sight, I should have mentioned that the primary use will be at the range out to 250-300 yds.

Thanks again,

Bigscot

country gent
11-01-2014, 10:05 AM
The only small draw back to the Kowas is they arnt real water proof. have died mine out with a hair drier and then a heat lamp several times after rain caught a match

gmsharps
11-01-2014, 10:05 AM
I just saw a member on this forum selling a Kowa TS-1 for $450. I know it's a bit over what you were looking for but that is one fine scope and great price.

gmsharps

ole 5 hole group
11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Thanks for all the information! A lot to digest. In hind sight, I should have mentioned that the primary use will be at the range out to 250-300 yds. Thanks again, Bigscot

250 - 300 yards calls for a quality spotting scope on most days if your calling shots in the black. 30 caliber and larger holes are a bit easier to spot on a good day but for 22's, lens quality will carry the day but 300 yards is a tough call with just the slightest of mirage. Might want to consider a high-end rifle scope between 24X and 32X for double duty use at the range.

For good used spotting scopes, search some birding forums - they usually have a few and most are high-end but reasonable priced.

PatMarlin
11-01-2014, 08:52 PM
How are you guys mounting your scopes? Tripods?

Reason I ask is, I'm building a range box with my ROCKDock mount on the top and I would like to ROCKDock an adjustable scope mount, and I wondered if there would be a need for such a thing by other range shooters? I like to take pre-primed brass, press, scale and powder to the range as well to work up loads. I can pretty much mount anything to the dock.

Any ideas would be appreciated... :drinks:

PatMarlin
11-01-2014, 09:07 PM
For example-

http://www.patmarlins.com/RangeBox.jpg

You could take a Range Box like this one, mount a ROCKDock on the top and be able to enter change a reloading press- light weigh LEE turret would be nice, and have an adjustable scope mount base.

Not a bad looking box for $60.

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/620676/adg-pistol-range-box-with-removable-tray-14-1-2-x-10-1-4-x-7-aluminum-gray?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Doc Highwall
11-01-2014, 10:29 PM
I have read various times that the Konus scope is a great buy for about $200 dollars. I myself have a Kowa with the fluorite lens and 27X long eye relief eye piece but you are now talking about $2800 dollars to buy one now.

You don't need more then 25X - 27X power, but look for something with long eye relief (25mm or more) and at least a 60mm front objective lens. My Kowa is the 45 degree angle one that I use for prone shooting. A straight scope causes you to crank your neck something bad when you are in the prone shooting position.

MtGun44
11-02-2014, 12:07 PM
IMO, finding .22 cal holes in the black at 250-300 is not going to happen most
days, even with the finest scope with a 80mm or so objective. Not too bad on a
white target with a small aiming point on a good day, but even then not certain if
the light is edgewise or the target well patched.

Strongly suggest you find a Kowa and a Konuspot and compare side by side looking
at the same thing - something with stuff too small to resolve and then some stuff
large enough to resolve - newspaper with different font sizes is good. The Kowa
is better, but you will be impressed with how close the Konus will come for 1/4 to 1/8th
the money, new. The used Kowa for $450 is a fair price, and they are great scopes
and if cared for, will last a lifetime.

Bill

Rufus Krile
11-03-2014, 12:07 AM
As far as what to mount it on... it depends on what you intend to do with it and under what conditions. If it's windy where you plan to use it you need a heavy, sturdy tripod. We use a big Bogen made for video cameras. If your scope is shivering like a dog pooping peach pits you won't be able to tell much about what you're looking at.

shooterg
11-03-2014, 12:55 AM
This is one of the times to buy once and cry once. Great optics cost, but they're worth it.

jcwit
11-03-2014, 09:51 AM
Just did some looking around and Optics sure have taken a jump in the last few years.

I bought a 20-60 X 80 Vanguard branded as a Winchester years ago at a gun show. Do not remember what the retail price was on the item but the fellow selling it let me have the one I bought for $75.00 because he claimed he had scuffed up the case it cam in.

Anyway, the scope works well for me out to 200 yds, even picks up the holes in the black at that distance. I realize it's not the High dollar scope, but then I do not drive a Land Rover either.

MaryB
11-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Optics these days are being made via computer instead of being individually hand ground. High end optics are the best of each lot sorted out for hand polishing to fine tune them. Not to many making mirrors and lenses these days, Taiwan and China primarily and they resell to many different scope makers.