PDA

View Full Version : Leveraging for WWs

dakotashooter2
02-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I know some of you guys are having trouble getting WWs from tire shops anymore, are you using any leverage on these guys. Frankly I'd hit them up when you go to buy tires or have work done. I really question if many are going to give up a $400 or more sale cause "policy" won't let them sell the WWs.

I always find that it "requires" 100 or 200 lbs of WWs to "balance " my new tires.[smilie=1:

standles
02-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah but I can't buy a set of tires every week :)

imashooter2
02-08-2008, 05:52 PM
There aren't any shops around here that will sell their weights period. There is no shop down the street to take my business to instead because they won't sell to me either.

I'm happy for all of you guys that can still get WW. But around here they are just plain unavailable from anywhere but the scrap yard and the yard wants ruinous prices.

Get them while you can, because the same situation is headed towards you.

hpdrifter
02-08-2008, 09:08 PM
I was getting a flat fixed just tother day. I asked if they wanted to sell them ww's over there in the corner; two 2 gallon pails. Feller said the owner wasn't in and come back tomorrow, but they had struck up a deal with a BATTERYcompany. I stated he had sold me some before, in jest, and said ok. I waited patiently whilst me tire was repaired and I suppose the feller got to thinkin a bit much. He asked, "how about $5 for one pail?". I told him I'd give him $15. Maybe he won't get in too much trouble. I fear, that's the last of the ww's I'll get from him, even before the transaction.

mtgrs737
02-08-2008, 09:44 PM
I had a tire shop break their promise to me for two buckets of WW's, they deceided to sell to the scroungers/scrape yard instead. So, I now longer do ANY business with that shop! I wonder how many $ they would of made on me, I'll bet that it was more than the extra $ they get from the scroungers/scrap yard.:castmine:

That door swings BOTH Ways!! :drinks:

NVcurmudgeon
02-09-2008, 02:11 AM
My auto service/tire shop has dried up on me. They tell me all the usual BS stories. "EPA forbids selling or giving WW to unlicensed people, they must go to a licensed recycler." "We must turn them in to our battery supplier." Well, you've heard them all, too. The last time I got some WW from them was in '06. It was a full bucket, which upon closer inspection turned out to be 45# of old lugnuts, bolts, and trash, covered with about 3# of new WW to fool me long enough to get out of there. This after spending about $1000 on our two vehicles on that visit and another about a month previous. But in towns as big as Reno, there is little leverage to use. The trouble is that this shop is competent, reasonably priced, and honest (except about WW.) I could go elsewhere, but I would get the same song and dance. So, when I need tires, I go to a tire shop in a small town, which usually works. I have quit asking about WW, and am just waiting for the manager of the shop referred to in the first sentence to ask me about fish or game meat again. I wil regretfully have to inform him that fish and game has cracked down and it is now illegal for fish or game meat to be eaten by anyone but the licensed sportsman who took it and his family.