PDA

View Full Version : Colored lights to illuminate feral pig feeders?

jaysouth
10-30-2014, 12:08 AM
Somewhere back in the recesses of my mind, I once heard something about feral pigs not being bothered by green or red lights illuminating feeders at night.

Was this an overworked imagination or corrosion of grey cells by by old age and alcohol?

Lonegun1894
10-30-2014, 05:31 AM
I have read and been told the same thing, so bought one, but I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, so can't speak from experience with hogs. I know my neighbors cats don't seem bothered by it when they're trespassing in my back yard though, so that is a good start.

Digital Dan
10-30-2014, 07:33 AM
They aren't bothered by regular lights, but seem especially stupid when gazing at the color yellow. YMMV

44man
10-30-2014, 10:23 AM
I watched the hogzilla show and when he turned on either red or green the hog left so he reverted to night vision.
Fox or deer might not see red but I know of no studies with pigs. Pigs might have more color receptors then other night animals. Most night hunters see better in the ultra violet range.
You might blind them with a bright, white light.

popper
10-30-2014, 01:28 PM
Pigvision Institute studies showed that pigs see primarily red, green and blue wavelengths. When these colors are combined -- for example, in a multicolored pig food with red, green and blue pellets -- pigs will display a stronger visual response than when facing one color. Additionally, pigs tend to see objects as solid color; they may see the blue sky, but not perceive clouds or rainbows in the sky.
So there you are. I've seen the shows with green light too, I think it is so people can see.

44man
10-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Red, green and blue make white when combined right. Could it be the brightness of the food? Pigs do not have good vision so maybe it is because they see more spectrum then other animals and depend on the nose at dark? They might be like us in the dark.

Sensai
10-30-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't prove it, but I don't think it's the light as much as the change in light. There's a safety "dusk-to-dawn" light by my barn and all sorts of critters can be seen out there, but if you through the breaker and wait to turn it on after dark you'll see the same critters running away. I've had the same experience with putting a small flashlight on my predator decoy at night. The coyotes don't seem to be bothered by the light, as long as it doesn't move or change. I've not done any real testing, but those are my experiences. ;)

Magana559
10-30-2014, 03:45 PM
Pigs are more bothered by each other while rooting up the soil.
I can almost walk up to them. My method is spotting em and then walk up to them blacked out. Once you are in a comfortable shooting position, light em up and light em up!

This works for me in the orange orchards, might not work for you in the field. Also check your local laws on night hunting and allowable voltage on the flashlight. Here we have immediate take, if pigs are damaging property you can shoot them as long as you use the meat.

Digital Dan
10-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Fellas, listen up. If you want to illuminate a feeder, don't bother with the voodoo, use a continuous white light and be done with it. They will not shy away because it is lit. Or because the TV is loud.

I learned this years ago on some river bottom land in Georgia. Both the feeder and light (on an extension cord) were about 20 yards from the front door of the cabin. More hogs died under that light than you might imagine. Basic all American 100 watt with an aluminum reflector.

44man
10-31-2014, 09:35 AM
Fellas, listen up. If you want to illuminate a feeder, don't bother with the voodoo, use a continuous white light and be done with it. They will not shy away because it is lit. Or because the TV is loud.

I learned this years ago on some river bottom land in Georgia. Both the feeder and light (on an extension cord) were about 20 yards from the front door of the cabin. More hogs died under that light than you might imagine. Basic all American 100 watt with an aluminum reflector.
I think this is the right way, they get used to it better then a light coming on all of a sudden, no matter the color.

Geppetto
11-03-2014, 02:40 PM
When I went hunting in Mo last year, the first night I used a red flashlight (olight M80), when it came on, even pointed up sky high, they bolted. Second night I put some bright green LEDs in a tree over the feeder and turned them on in the evening and they stayed on. Pigs didn't care about the lights whatsoever. I think above is spot on, they don't like the sudden change, but don't really care about the light that is left on.