PDA

View Full Version : I would just like to say.....

waksupi
10-30-2014, 12:02 AM
How 'bout dem GIANTS!!!!????

starmac
10-30-2014, 12:12 AM
What giants??? LOL

Jr.
10-30-2014, 12:14 AM
was hoping the royals would pull it out

Bzcraig
10-30-2014, 12:21 AM
was hoping the royals would pull it out

Yup me too but it was a good series!

MtGun44
10-30-2014, 12:41 AM
Booooooooooooo!!!!!

MT Gianni
10-30-2014, 10:35 PM
I liked it. A great series for the ages by two evenly matched teams.

Recluse
10-31-2014, 01:45 AM
I swore off MLB in 1994 when the overpaid, underworked prima donnas went on strike. But between San Fran and my adopted hometown of Kansas City, I sure wish KC would've brought it home.

The only thing I root for in San Francisco are the earthquakes.

:coffee:

smokeywolf
10-31-2014, 02:03 AM
Yuk, San Francisco is now mostly infamous for its population of homosexuals and criminal aliens. Its one of many cities in Kali that welcomes with open arms criminal aliens who take 5 to 10 times more from our system than they put into it. Doesn't that just make you feel warm all over?

dragon813gt
10-31-2014, 05:34 AM
Two man rotation is insane in this day and age. I care little for baseball but can still appreciate when someone is above and beyond the rest of the players.

SharpsShooter
10-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Giants you say??? Teams of them? What caliber is recommended and alloy composition, will I need to get gas checks and lube grooves?

I didn't watch a single inning. Like Recluse, I swore off baseball after they went on strike. At the time, I was working for minimum wage and barely getting by when they were complaining about making $13 million a year.

SS

Artful
10-31-2014, 08:59 AM
I also swore off baseball after they went on strike. I'm happy for you if your team won, and sad with you if your team lost.

Beerd
10-31-2014, 10:00 AM
ain't been quite the same since they left the Polo Grounds :(

cbrick
10-31-2014, 11:00 AM
I swore off MLB in 1994 when the overpaid, underworked prima donnas went on strike. But between San Fran and my adopted hometown of Kansas City, I sure wish KC would've brought it home.

The only thing I root for in San Francisco are the earthquakes. :coffee:

Bingo!

Their strike was the last inning I've watched. Took several years after the NFL went on strike for me to watch another game.

Rick

waksupi
10-31-2014, 11:12 AM
I'm not sure how much they were making back then. My friend retired from the Oakland A's a few years before the strike, he was making $60 grand a year at that time. Nothing to sneeze at, but not the megabucks of today.

Ranger Green
10-31-2014, 11:28 AM
I didn't watch a single inning. Like Recluse, I swore off baseball after they went on strike. At the time, I was working for minimum wage and barely getting by when they were complaining about making $13 million a year.

SS
My family are life long Giants fans and are very happy- but not with me. I am not the sports fan they are as I have different priorities and experiences. I remember being a private in the Army when Barry Bonds was with Philadelphia(?) and snivelling that he wasn't getting paid enough. This was during Desert Shield and a major newspaper ran a great editorial cartoon comparing
PVT Snuffy (PVT USA) Job description: Serves in the military, fights in combat, away from home, defends Nation; Salary: $8,000

to B. Bonds (Baseball player) Job description: Hits ball with stick, runs fast, whines constantly; Salary: $3,000,000.

"Nuff said.

cbrick
10-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Welcome to CastBoolits Range Green,

You forgot in your description of Bonds . . . Cheats by doing drugs.

Rick

Edit: Oops, joined April 2012. Ranger, you spend too much time on the computer. [smilie=s:

Mk42gunner
10-31-2014, 03:39 PM
I actually watched most of the Royals games this year; it gives me something to do when I go check on Mom (without being obvious I'm checking on her).

I watched the Series as well. It wasn't that Bumgarner is such a great pitcher, (you have to admit that) it was that the Giants defense actually played behind him.

That and the fact that the Royals supposed DH only hit 9 homers this year, none in the post season.

While I think the players deserve to be paid well; I don't think they should make more than a normal working man. I think the league minimum was something like $600,00.00 this year, ridiculous.

Robert

Recluse
10-31-2014, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure how much they were making back then. My friend retired from the Oakland A's a few years before the strike, he was making $60 grand a year at that time. Nothing to sneeze at, but not the megabucks of today.

League minimum (players) salary in 1994 was $175,000, plus up to $80,000 per player for (brand) licensing royalties. The average salary for that year was $1.2 million dollars. Not bad for approximately seven months of work.

The players in the farm system and minors made significantly less.

I was in the ad agency world at the time and we pulled EVERY brand we represented out of MLB two weeks into the strike and cancelled the 1995 contracts.

NFL, NBA and NHL all did catastrophic strikes in the past twenty years. I've written them off as well. I basically have no use for professional sports any longer. They were started, by and large, as and for a product of the average working man and woman but now cater exclusively to the corporate fat cats.

:coffee:

cbrick
10-31-2014, 07:08 PM
What a lot of people miss it seems is what those absurd salaries do to the price of a ticket. In the 80's I took the step son to see the Rams play in L.A. Two tickets, parking, hot dogs & soda and I spent $250. That was in the 80's and $250 was a fair hunk of change for a 3 hour game. No idea what it might cost today cause I haven't been to a game since but I'll bet it's a whole lot more now. How's the average dad supposed to take 3-4 kids to see a game?

Recluse is right, it's all corporate now. Try and watch a NASCAR race on TV, over half of the air time is commercials not racing. I used to enjoy racing, I was involved with it for several years but I cannot sit through that much commercial time, it's not even watchable.

Rick

waksupi
10-31-2014, 07:32 PM
I did hear the cheap seats at the Series started around $1000. That's crazy. My seat was free, I had a better view, plus replays.

cbrick
10-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Crazy? Yeah no doubt. It makes me wonder how many people missed a mortgage payment or two to sit in that seat. :veryconfu

Rick

jsizemore
10-31-2014, 07:43 PM
Hey Rick. Soccer games play 45 minute halves with no commercials. Your all set.

cbrick
10-31-2014, 07:52 PM
What is this soccer you speak of?

Oh wait, I remember, that's the sport the school system pushes on kids just because it's not an American sport. Ok, got it.

Rick

TXGunNut
10-31-2014, 10:37 PM
I used to hunt with a guide who played pro ball 40 or so years ago. He made enough to get a start as a small businessman and did well for himself. When he retired he started guiding hunters because he liked hunting but didn't like his mooching family. If you ask him about pro ball players' salaries he just shakes his head.

William Yanda
10-31-2014, 10:45 PM
I have to admit they looked much better after game seven than they did after game six!

MT Gianni
11-01-2014, 01:00 PM
What a lot of people miss it seems is what those absurd salaries do to the price of a ticket. In the 80's I took the step son to see the Rams play in L.A. Two tickets, parking, hot dogs & soda and I spent $250. That was in the 80's and $250 was a fair hunk of change for a 3 hour game. No idea what it might cost today cause I haven't been to a game since but I'll bet it's a whole lot more now. How's the average dad supposed to take 3-4 kids to see a game?

Recluse is right, it's all corporate now. Try and watch a NASCAR race on TV, over half of the air time is commercials not racing. I used to enjoy racing, I was involved with it for several years but I cannot sit through that much commercial time, it's not even watchable.

Rick
Like Movie theater popcorn and soda. It is another way the owners and stadium get you.

shooterg
11-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Useta know every player's name when I was a kid and only 8 teams in each league. Hardcore Dodger's fan growing up. (Hated Yankees, in or out of baseball uniforms !).
After the strike , a pox on 'em. Now I couldn't even pronounce half of 'em's name, let alone talk to 'em in their native language !