PDA

View Full Version : Belle's first rooster

ohland
10-28-2014, 07:31 PM

This has been a tough year. Very few woodcock, the doves seemed to fade out over two weeks ago, and the WI DNR seems to operate remote control pheasant decoys to spread rumors. After flailing away near the Sugar River, we staggered out and drove to the Avon Bottoms. The DNR stock truck must have been through yesterday, as we saw a dumb rooster slowly run off the shoulder. Eventually, we got set, went in after that bird, no dice, tall grass. About 3 feet high... Anyways, we crossed the road to the west side.

Old retrobate put it up first, but couldn't make out the colors (Belle flushed it out towards the sun). Old retrobate and Belle pushed it up again, and it flew back to my left. I went over and the dynamic duo came over. About ten minutes after they got to me Belle pushed it up one last time and the old retrobate had a flash of his old glory days and broke it up about 30 yards out.

I got Belle in, and she got up to the bird and sniffed it very thoroughly. She kept looking at it after I picked it up... It is surprising that Belle was able to push the bird at all, since the wind was very strong all day long. Very hard scenting conditions. When we were woodcock hunting, the leaves on the woods floor were dry on top.

Not the best outcome today, but Belle sure got the bird...

leeggen
10-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Good for her and you. She seems to have moments of good showing, she will get better.
CD

southpaw
10-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Sounds like she has some good potential. The game commission releases pheasants on my Dads property and my house happens to be right there in the middle of it more or less. Last year I happened to be there when they came out to set loose some birds. They even let my daughter throw one. I always thought that they would all bundle together. Not the case. Those birds went ever which direction. Always makes for a good time.

Jerry Jr.

RED333
10-29-2014, 07:28 PM
I have never owned a hunting dog, I truly enjoy your tales of the hunt.
Please keep them coming.