PDA

View Full Version : Can a mr bullet, bullet feeder be used on a sizing press?

mallen
10-27-2014, 01:26 PM
Can a mr bullet, bullet feeder be used on a sizing press?

Labanaktis
10-27-2014, 01:42 PM
I dont see why not. As long as your press will accept the bullet with nose up. I plan on building my own auto sizer this winter... unless I can find a used one.... I planned on using a MR Bullet Feeder to feed it to

M

mallen
10-27-2014, 01:54 PM
How do you plan on making it?

how does the mr bullet work? does it set the bullet on the case, or does the case reach up and "grab" the bullet?

either way, something would have to be built around the size pin to get the bullet onto the pin without falling off. once balanced it shouldn't move.

dragon813gt
10-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Once they release a nose down version it should be a bolt on procedure. As it is now you will have to modify it to flip the bullets over. There is at least one member here who has done it.

SODAPOPMG
10-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Yes it can, i have one hooked up to my star sizer with bullet feeder should work with ballisti-cast machines also
i do not see how it can be hooked up to the lyman,rcbs, or saco as their is nothing to feed the bullet from the tube to on top of the sizing die
but someone might be able to make a system that rotates a bullet into that position then picks it up and dumps it into a bin while grabbing the next bullet to be sized at the same time
anything else is just a waste of money as you will not save any time or energy

mallen
10-27-2014, 02:11 PM
Im using a lyman spartan. so bullet up works for me. guess what im stuck on is how it "lets go" of the bullet after moving it into place.

MGnoob
10-27-2014, 05:36 PM
*edit* i should mention i own 2 of the mr bullet feeders*
I don't like the "flipper" idea very much or atleast the one i saw the video of. I don't think it will keep up.

I read that you can use it to drop them nose down by removing the cardboard feed-ramp shims. This way the ones going nose down drop out the hole where the shim goes, you need to fashion a way of catching them and down into the tube.
This isn't very realistic due to all the ones going nose up falling out the original feed tube (Idealy into another container)
Then all the ones that fall into the second bucket need to be dumped back into the mr bullet feeder.

I am also waiting to see MR. bulletfeeder's new unit that goes both ways. but for the $500-$600?? you might be better off with the MA-systems collator for $1500-$1600

i had been trying to buy the MA systems for like a year and a half, now they are ready for my order and i juts haven't done it yet.
They want me to send 5lb of each projectile to be fed, i want the unit 1 step up for the cheapest with a couple of the feed plates.. i think i required 2 different plates for .223, 9mm,.45. but they wanted to be sure. I am confident it will work great when i get around to it.

mallen
10-27-2014, 09:41 PM
maybe you can answer my above question then, since iv not really seen one of these, when the bullet gets placed on the shell, does it "fall" into the shell, or does it have to be "pulled" out by the shell?

would the bullet fall onto any flat surface?

CGT80
10-28-2014, 01:59 AM
The feed die for the Mr. Bullet feeder holds a number of bullets. The case goes into the die and one bullet is released. I have a Mr. Bullet feeder in 9mm on my dillon 1050. To empty the feeder die, I use a 45 colt case to push up into the die and 3-4 bullets drop into the case. I think the die uses a couple ball bearings to hold the bullets in place and the cases push the bearings out of the way, from what I have read. I don't know how you would adapt that to a bullet sizing press. The collator would work (if dropping bullets nose up is OK), but you would need a feed mechanism to feed the press.

MGnoob
10-28-2014, 02:14 AM
The Mr bullet feeder is 2 pieces. A collator and a dropper. in a 1050 many of us use it in the second to last position and use a comonation seat/crimp for the final step. Atleast that's how i do it so i can still use the powder check die.

TO feed the sizer that has a feed tube. you don't use the bullet dropper. just use to collator rigged to drop them base down, unless you can size nose down.....you would put the original slinky tube into a bucket next to the machine and rig another one to the 1st stage of collation. and this would feed the feed tube.
If you had a sizer without a feed system. i guess you could use the dropper to place it into a hole then this hole would need to move to over the sizing die, dropping it into the throat of the die, then return to pick-up another projectile.
it would only fall onto a flat surface if the was a mechanism to raise and lower the dropper (thinks it's called a feeder die"")

I would wait till MR.bullet feeder makes the proper unit..Anyone know when that will happen??
i believe mr bulletfeeder and double alpha are the same thing.

CGT80
10-28-2014, 02:42 AM
Mr. Bulletfeeder is RAK systems, IIRC. The owner is Rick. Double Alpha took on mass producing the Mr. Bulletfeeder. It took 5 months or so for me to get my Mr. Bulletfeeder when Rick was making them. DA had the capability and marketing to mass produce the design and idea. DA cleaned up the cosmetics of the unit and produced them. I don't know the specifics of their contract. I think the Mr. Bulletfeeder may have been called a KISS, in the past. The new units are made by DA, but it sounds like the parts or conversion kits are still available for the RAK versions. I don't know if DA owns rights to any of the new products. It seems as though all sales for new product are through DA.

I have not heard anything about a new unit to feed in either orientation. The feeder I have has no problem keeping up with dropping 100 9mm bullets in the 3 minutes it takes to load 100 rounds on the 1050. That is 2000 bullets per hour. It would probably drop more than that, as it isn't always running to keep the drop die filled.

6bg6ga
10-28-2014, 07:04 AM
maybe you can answer my above question then, since iv not really seen one of these, when the bullet gets placed on the shell, does it "fall" into the shell, or does it have to be "pulled" out by the shell?

would the bullet fall onto any flat surface?

In the above post you seem to be asking about the Mr Bullet bullet dropper? If this is the case then to answer your question the bullet is placed on the shell when the case goes into the device. It doesn't just drop a bullet otherwise it would drop everything that is loaded into the bullet drop tube. There are a number of ball bearings inside the dropper and when the case is allowed to go inside it contacts the ball bearings and they move away from the bullet letting the bullet drop onto the waiting case.

mallen
10-28-2014, 08:55 AM
This might work. I would have to build a jig that would push into the feeder to release the bullet, then move out of the way to allow the press to move up

MGnoob
10-28-2014, 03:14 PM
I have not heard anything about a new unit to feed in either orientation. The feeder I have has no problem keeping up with dropping 100 9mm bullets in the 3 minutes it takes to load 100 rounds on the 1050. That is 2000 bullets per hour. It would probably drop more than that, as it isn't always running to keep the drop die filled.

mine 1050 has the 1200 rph autodrive, i think it is unlikely it will reliable collate at 2k per hour.Not that it can't or won't, the small diameter of the collator makes it less consitent. When you are running low on projectiles it has tendency to have a harder time for them to fall in the holes on the round plate.

Also i was more trying to respond to the OPs question about using it with a sizer.. let's just say it does 2k per hour...well if you have if they don't come out with the nose up/down option and you rig it as i suggested it would feed a random amout of projectiles into each feed tube.@ maybe a 50/50 shot each times...which means sometime it may not feed fast enough into the tube for the sizer.there may be periods of time where most of them come out the original tube.

Also the mr bullet feeder doesn't hold alot of volume so it has to refilled often and if using as i suggested would need to be refilled 2x as much.

i'd have to say the exception to all this is when i runn in .223. It hold a respectable amount of those and collates @ or above the 2k figure.

CGT80
10-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Yes, the 50/50 option with two tubes seems very inefficient. I think the OP was OK with the bullets facing up, but maybe I got that wrong. I haven't used a push through sizer and I don't know how many rounds per hour they are capable of, but it is quite possible they could outrun a Mr. Bulletfeeder. The purpose built feeder to work with a sizer seems like it would be the cat's meow. I would try contacting DA or Rick at RAK and see how the progress is going on that or if it will even happen.

mallen
10-28-2014, 05:59 PM
Yea, bullet up is good for me. from what iv seen you might be able to run faster than the bullet feeder itself, but again you can also run faster with it than you can without it. if you can make it work.

im thinking, an attachment to my press to release the bullet. push attachment, move handle to get bullet, let go and push again to size. could work i think

oldfart1956
10-28-2014, 08:41 PM
Mallen check your p.m. box....sending you a note. Audie...the Oldfart..