PDA

View Full Version : Plain Base Bullets and the 8mm Mauser

Klaus
10-27-2014, 07:12 AM
Morning all,

after i got my famos NOE 326471 GC MOULD, i cast a lot of Bullets and send them downrange through my Gewehr 88

Best results i have had with moderate loads of Bullseye or HP 38 6 to 7,5 grs.

using more powder the bullets starting to tumble.

Gaschecks seems to be the solution but what do you thinking about Planbase Bullets?
I was playing with the idea to drill the GC out of my Lee 175 grs Mould

How much Powder can i load using PB Boolits to get a bit more speed and maybe more accuracy

Opposide to my 8x57 i load 6,5x55 in my M96 with the Lyman 140 grs Bollits well gaschecked with 15 grs Vithavohori N 110 with exellent results

thx for your advise

Klaus

Outpost75
10-27-2014, 10:10 AM
In my experience plainbased bullets are usually imited to about 1450 fps unless you take additional measures such as using poly shot buffer, wads, etc. to protect the base of the bullet. Your charges from 6 to 7.5 grains of Bullseye are similar to what I use in the .30-'06, in smooth barrels and slower twists than 10 inches (14 inches is spendid!) up to 9 grains with #311299 for about 1500, which shoots well to 200 yards. The best smooth, target grade ten-inch twist barrels start to lead at 8.4 grains. Ordinary issue grade '03s, Winchester 54s and Model 70s at 8 grs.

Scharfschuetze
10-27-2014, 11:36 AM
Klaus,

Odd that your boolits are tumbling with increased velocity as the higher rotational speed should stabilize them more. Perhaps your boolits are not holding the rifling at the higher velocities, although your velocity is very mild at 7.5 grains of Bullseye. How is the bore in that Model 88 and have you slugged it?

I use a 165 grain plain base 32/40 boolit at .324" diameter over 8.5 grains of Bullseye. It's a pretty mild load and goes over the screens at 1,285 from my Kar 98 Mauser. It holds well out through 200 yards. 10 shot groups generally hold 3 MOA. I've had no leading with the load although the boolit alloy is pretty hard at something like Lyman No 2. I'm going to try a softer alloy when I get around to Mauser projects again, but I'm afraid that I'll have to keep the alloy hard to keep the boolit diameter as large as possible for the Mauser bores. Given the long throats in Mausers, I seat the boolit out as far as possible, while keeping the base of the boolit at the juncture of the neck and shoulder in order to support the boolit while it travels from the magazine to the chamber.

If your rifle still has the original .318 "J" barrel, you should be in great shape to shoot plain base boolits given the selection of 32 calibre boolits for 32/40s and 32 Specials that are normally designed for .321" barrels.

Klaus
10-28-2014, 04:27 AM
Hello Gents,

thx a lot for your infos.
I will mill out my GC Lee Mould to run a trail with PB Bullets

My 88 Barrel is in used condition Land and Groves are appears but corners of the Lands are rounded
Barrel Diameter is .319

Klaus