PDA

View Full Version : Storing my CB's. Found a nifty container to re-use while making supper last night.

Tallbald
10-26-2014, 09:55 PM
Penny and I take turns cooking for the two of us. Last night I made a simple spaghetti and meatball meal, using Hunt's sauce that comes in the tall 24 ounce, 99 cent cans. I rinsed it and wondered if the same plastic snap-on lids that fit cat food cans would fit the spaghetti sauce can. I tried a plastic lid off the cleaned tuna can holding my home made waxed felt wads for my Ruger Old Army, and realized that unless I was missing something, the white inner coated steel sauce can would be good to hold my cast and lubed slugs. Don't know how many will fit in it but it's going to be a bunch. Maybe this tidbit will be of use to someone else too. Don

RED333
10-26-2014, 10:27 PM
Plastic peanut butter jars, I eat a lot of peanut butter, clear so I can see what is in side.

Bzcraig
10-26-2014, 10:32 PM
Plastic one pound coffee cans and plastic frosting cans but I like the peanut butter can idea.

Dusty Bannister
10-26-2014, 11:18 PM
For storage of lubed bullets, I like those Land O Lakes butter containers. Long and narrow with snap lids. Easy to pick out the cast bullets and set in the case mouth when reloading. No shake or tip required to get the bullets out. They stack nicely too.

wcp4570
10-26-2014, 11:20 PM
Yea jiff peanut butter jars. I have 5 grand kids that keep them coming. Great for cast boolits or small quantized of brass.

wcp

dtknowles
10-27-2014, 12:31 AM
I use the Remington style .22 LR plastic boxes. I get 60 or so .357 or 50 or so .308 bullets in each box. They stack nicely and I like all my soldiers to set on there bases and stand up.

Tim

Grantb
10-27-2014, 12:37 AM
I use clear plastic nut (the eating kind) containers. They come in a small and large size with a plastic screw lid. They are surprisingly strong for plastic.

mannyCA
10-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Find myself walking through stores looking for particular size/shape containers to fit my brass/boolit storage needs. Costco has some great ones, Its a sickness.

waltherboy4040
10-27-2014, 02:39 AM
Protein powder tubs are my favorite so far.

Bosshaug
10-27-2014, 02:42 AM
Quart Mayo jars for me.

JeffinNZ
10-27-2014, 04:17 AM
.17HMR/.22WMR plastic boxes hold 50 .30-.31cal bullets top and tailed perfectly.

rondog
10-27-2014, 04:55 AM
Man, you can buy new Ziploc containers at WalMart really cheap, in many different sizes!

Wayne Smith
10-27-2014, 07:51 AM
I've been using left over kitchen containers so long some of them have shattered from age!

alamogunr
10-27-2014, 07:59 AM
Quart Mayo jars for me.

I have several Miracle Whip plastic jars that I use. Recently they changed to narrow top jars that are useless for any thing except Miracle Whip.

I also use peanut butter jars(Jif jars from the warehouse store are bigger) and the nut jars mentioned in another post. On a separate note, I use ice cream buckets for brass. They wouldn't hold up for boolits but are great for brass.

CastingFool
10-27-2014, 08:33 AM
I use empty 32oz yogurt containers both while processing brass, and keeping it nice and clean before loading. 100 empty .223's fit nicely with a little room to spare. use a grease pencil to make notes on the lid. Work well for boolits, too.

Pb Burner
10-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Another vote for the peanut butter jars. Available and free. I put the word out to a few relatives and friends that I needed some, and in a few weeks I had a pile of them.

bedbugbilly
10-27-2014, 08:58 AM
I started out by buying some tupperware containers at Meijers for my cast bullets - which are clear and work fine. Then, I started saving the 1# Folger plastic coffee containers. My wife and I go though a pound of coffee in about a week so I've had a steady supply of them and am slowly changing over to them. They have a nice snap on lid and I just take the label off and use a magic marker to label what's in them.

Funny thing though . . . the more I save of the containers, the more molds I seem to pick up . . . don't know which is the more serious addiction . . . the coffee or the casting!? :-)

popper
10-27-2014, 10:49 AM
1# peanut jars for me, hold ~ 400 pistol boolits, 300 rifle, I can SEE what's there & don't get a hernia lifting them. Also for primed brass. Powdered protein jugs for brass. Flip open bakery(pastry) clear trays for processing; one side for raw, the other for processed brass. Loading - one side for boolits, other for brass - don't have to reach far. Painter's tape & sharpie for LABELLING what is there - I don't depend on my brain anymore.

alamogunr
10-27-2014, 10:55 AM
I like the Folger's containers too. I just don't care for the coffee. I prefer Community coffee. I have a few of the Folger's containers that I accumulated while I was deciding on a coffee. The big ones are great for brass in smaller quantities.

EMC45
10-27-2014, 10:56 AM
Mayo, peanut butter, cream cheese, sour cream containers. They all work and hold what they need to.

dakotashooter2
10-27-2014, 11:00 AM
You guys are missing the obvious. Empty powder containers (label peeled off)...........

pcolapaddler
10-27-2014, 11:28 AM
Glad to know I'm not alone in my container collecting. Plastic coffee containers, animal cracker containers. ..

FLHTC
10-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Screw on lids are the best. Put a wood screw through the lid with a decent sized flat washer and screw the lid to the floor joists. They're out of the way, off the bench and the contents are easily identifyable. One joist for each caliber. My uncle did this with baby food jars when i was a small boy and i never forgot it.

alamogunr
10-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Does that work with plastic containers such as peanut butter containers? I would be afraid that a peanut butter jar full of boolits would overstress the molded in threads. As I remember the baby food jars were glass and the lids metal when my sons were eating that stuff(I used a lot of them back then).

FLHTC
10-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Does that work with plastic containers such as peanut butter containers? I would be afraid that a peanut butter jar full of boolits would overstress the molded in threads. As I remember the baby food jars were glass and the lids metal when my sons were eating that stuff(I used a lot of them back then).

I don't use plastic lids. I use mason jars but i keep the contents weight within reason

Mk42gunner
10-27-2014, 05:33 PM
Most anything that comes to hand when I need it. Ranging from old cardboard bullet boxes (better check those, they are from before I started casting) to peanut butter jars.

I think my favorite is new steel quart paint cans, the only downside is you can't see what is in them. Alas, my free source dried up...

Robert

DHurtig
10-27-2014, 06:34 PM
+ 1 on the peanut butter jars. I also like the big snack and nut containers that they have at Target, very sturdy and hold a lot of bullets.

Folgers coffee is OK I guess, but I really like their Black Silk coffee.

trixter
10-27-2014, 06:43 PM
Costco Nut jars, I love them. The labels peel off of them so easy and clean. Then you can see what is inside. I have only had a problem with one so far, my housekeeper (I am widowed) decided to wash one in the dishwasher, and it didn't like the drying cycle too much, it slightly reshaped the jar, and the lid doesn't fit quite tight. also try to remember the desiccant pouch.

Copper75
10-27-2014, 07:44 PM
5 lb folders cans from work
We go through lots of it...

10mmShooter
10-27-2014, 07:53 PM
hmm...you guys got me thinking, I have a bunch of empty 1 lb pound powder jars/jugs and an 8lb er too, I'll see how many 250g K-SWC I can get in them, I'm guessing 250 or so in the 1lber.

rintinglen
10-27-2014, 11:11 PM
I started out by buying some tupperware containers at Meijers for my cast bullets - which are clear and work fine. Then, I started saving the 1# Folger plastic coffee containers. My wife and I go though a pound of coffee in about a week so I've had a steady supply of them and am slowly changing over to them. They have a nice snap on lid and I just take the label off and use a magic marker to label what's in them.

Funny thing though . . . the more I save of the containers, the more molds I seem to pick up . . . don't know which is the more serious addiction . . . the coffee or the casting!? :-)
Coffee is worse--casting won't keep you awake;)
I found some heavy duty, clear plastic containers at the 99 Cent store--forget what I paid for 'em, but they were pretty cheap and work well for boolits.

Spruce
10-27-2014, 11:40 PM
I like the nut, trailmix, and salza jars also. Any of the square ones, they fit on my shelves under the stairwell better. The community I live in has recycle bins, so when I take mine over I always seem to come back with more storage jars and sometimes a metal coffee can for wheelweight clips or dross.

wistlepig1
10-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Nut butter jars for me!

hickfu
10-28-2014, 12:27 AM
Dollar store has these and they fit my 45 Cal boolits perfectly (8 across and 11 deep)

Doc

leadhead
10-29-2014, 01:30 PM
I use peanut butter jars for rifle bullets and mayo jars for pistol bullets.
Red lids for rifle....Blue lids for pistol. Don't have to look as hard for what
you want.
Denny

bangerjim
10-29-2014, 03:22 PM
The green lid rectangular containers Walmart sells are great. They stack and do not collapse under a lot of lead weight as do many other brand name containers I have tried. I have 26 of them with cast & PC'd boolits in them. And having them all the same looks great. Use a sharpie black marker to write on the end. Comes off with alcolol when needed.

For loaded rounds, I use the caliber specific white boxes with styro forms inside from Midway. Resable many many times and pretty inexpensive.

I print my own labels with all the necessary info on them.

banger

A pause for the COZ
10-29-2014, 03:39 PM
I have a bad habit. I am a tobacco chewer.
I buy mine in bulk plastic tubs. They first came out with 6 can tubs but now offer them in 12 can tubs.
They are packed loose with a plastic can that you refill. Seems my drug dealer has figured out a way around the per container state tax.
Only have to pay the tax once on the tub. Comes out to about $1.70 a can. Buying individual cans is about $6 a can.
Hopefully it will take a while before the money grabbers figure out the work around and start to tax by weight.

lets just say. There is no chance I will run out of boolet containers.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9205_zps61cca512.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9206_zps10f22ad1.jpg

SteveM
10-29-2014, 03:44 PM
+1 on the plastic Costco nut/candy jars
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w656/stevemikel1/100_2723-1.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/stevemikel1/media/100_2723-1.jpg.html)

wmitty
10-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Jif Extra Crunchy - wash the label off and mark 'em with a Sharpie. Planter's Salted Cashews for holding brass...

dkf
10-29-2014, 07:49 PM
I recently got some deck screws that came in a nice 4"x4"x4" clear plastic container with a snap on lid. Has a nice handle too. I think I am going to need more deck screws.[smilie=s:

slim1836
10-29-2014, 08:08 PM
I like the Folger's containers too. I just don't care for the coffee. I prefer Community coffee. I have a few of the Folger's containers that I accumulated while I was deciding on a coffee. The big ones are great for brass in smaller quantities.

I bet I've got 50+ Folgers' containers. Just mark on the outside between the hand holds and stack them on the shelf, markers wash off w/acetone if they need relabeling.

Slim

zuke
11-05-2014, 08:15 AM
I like to use 30/50 cal ammo can's.

375supermag
11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Hi...

I use plastic tub containers of various sizes for brass, also use 1lb Folgers coffee cans. I don't drink coffee, but my wife goes through at least one a week.

My bullets are commercial cast or jacketed, so they stay in the original container until used.

Loaded rounds go in plastic cartridge cases for quantities up to one hundred. My generic loads for handgun which are loaded in the thousands go into metal ammo cans(.30cal).

At any given time, I have thousands of brass cases either waiting to be tumbled, re-sized and de-primed, or primed and awaiting reloading.

I need more space and a better system of storage. What I have works well enough, but I would like a better organized, more assembly line oriented system.

michiganmike
11-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Like many of you, I have been helping to save Gaia (mother earth) from an early demise by recycling food containers. I do use plastic peanut butter jars. But I especially like the plastic, rectangular sandwich meat containers. They are about 4 1/2" by 6" and are clear plastic. They stack nicely. And though a light plastic will hold a fair amount of weight. And for tumble lubing I use a Dream Whip container, or the lower half of a protein powder jar.

MichiganMike

country gent
11-06-2014, 09:25 PM
For bullets as cast I use simple card board boxes to bring into house I then sort by wiegh and visual and they go into 100 rd pistol ammo boxes (mtm or berries) and are then lubed and or sized. This gives me a close count of whats on the shelves and keeps them from sticking together or other dirt damage. I have had bullets lose lube from grooves stacked tight together and cardboard seems to absorb oils from lube over time. The lunch meat containers have a nice lid and are a convient size.

Shuz
11-08-2014, 10:54 AM
http://i1334.photobucket.com/albums/w656/stevemikel1/100_2723-1.jpg (http://s1334.photobucket.com/user/stevemikel1/media/100_2723-1.jpg.html)
Notice how easily one can tell what's in them! I also save those orange clear plastic type medicine bottles to put boolit alloy samples in for hardness testing at a later date right before use.

Trinidad Bill
11-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I am glad I am not alone in my "nice container" addiction!

dragon813gt
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
I like to use 30/50 cal ammo can's.

Same, I figure the military knows what they're doing. No worries about weight or stacking either. We don't produce a lot of "free" containers and there are plenty of ammo cans to go around.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/TimeToMakeAmmo/45DA17AD-9C72-4850-AE67-1C77C660AC1C.jpg.html)

ZigZagMarquis
11-09-2014, 10:32 AM

:shock:

Wow! You eat A LOT of nuts!! I'd be plugged up for a month! :lol:

Three44s
11-09-2014, 11:58 PM
Ever tried Uline?

http://www.uline.com/

They sell boxes:

http://www.uline.com/Cls_04/Boxes-Corrugated?dup=3

They sell bins:

http://www.uline.com/product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?keywords=uline_plastic_bins

And they sell plastic containers:

http://www.uline.com/Product/AdvSearchResult.aspx?keywords=plastic_containers

You name it ....... they got it!

Glass jars, metal cans ..........drums ......

They do deluge you with catalogs and they are not cheap.

Enjoy

Three 44s

tazman
11-10-2014, 12:58 AM
The green lid rectangular containers Walmart sells are great. They stack and do not collapse under a lot of lead weight as do many other brand name containers I have tried. I have 26 of them with cast & PC'd boolits in them. And having them all the same looks great. Use a sharpie black marker to write on the end. Comes off with alcolol when needed.

For loaded rounds, I use the caliber specific white boxes with styro forms inside from Midway. Resable many many times and pretty inexpensive.

I print my own labels with all the necessary info on them.

banger

Would you happen to have a picture available for that container?
Most of the other suggestions won't work for me for various reasons. Yours sounds doable and I want to make sure I get the right container.

big bore 99
11-10-2014, 01:06 AM
Lots of great ideas!

crabo
11-10-2014, 01:21 AM
I use Sterilite from Walmart. Tag on the end with info.

Green Frog
11-10-2014, 02:45 PM
For schuetzen I shoot my bullets as cast, in the order cast. To accomplish this I place my cooled 32-40 bullets in the plastic divided liners from 9 mm or 38/357 cartridge boxes and the 45-70s in 45 ACP boxes. I know I look funny rummaging around the trash barrel at the range to get my supply of boxes, but I don't care! The bullets are held safely and individually, and I have even found some wooden cigar boxes that hold the plastic boxes in a single layer so I can carry 200 or sometimes 300 bullets in perfect order, ready to be shot. Being OCD doesn't have to be expensive! ;)

Froggie

MarkP
11-10-2014, 03:28 PM
I like the clear jars that Kid's Chewy Vitamins come in; they are thick walled heavy duty containers. Only bad part the lable adhesive does not come off very well. Clausen pickle jars and almond jars from Sams are nice jars, they have flat sides and nest on a shelf quite well. These jars have a large opening and I can reach in rather pour the boolits out.

Also use peanut butter and Mayo jars.

I store my lube sticks in glass jars usually bulk pickle jars (~ 1 gallon)

I store all of my gas checks in clear juice bottles that have flat sides.

wcp4570
11-10-2014, 04:08 PM
I wash my plastic jars in warm soapy water to clean them up and remove most of the labels. For removing stubborn labels from jars try using WD40. It usually takes it right off. If the residue hard to remove try letting the WD40 set for a little while and work on the gummy substance before rubbing with a paper towel.

wcp

alamogunr
11-10-2014, 10:33 PM
I second the nut jars from Sam's. I have several but I have to be careful because, filled they are heavy. It is not just almonds that come in those jars. I get mine with mixed nuts. With the holidays coming up I will accumulate several more.

I use a degreaser, apparently made from orange processing by-product. Gets the residue off easily. A question for someone that has used it: Does "Goo Gone" work?

sawzall
11-12-2014, 02:11 AM
My wife goes through 4-6 of these a week. I love the containers because they are pretty small and stack just dandy! I've also shipped boolits and smaller stuff in them with a good tape job to keep the lid on. I just write on the lids with a sharpie. I keep gas checks, case trimmer pilots, loose allen wenches, top punches and sizing dies in them too. Also small molds with a desiccant pack. They used to be metal but I don't have many of those. I wasn't keeping them back then.