PDA

View Full Version : Finally back to reloading - some random brain droppings

FISH4BUGS
10-26-2014, 08:44 PM
Strange - you really DO forget how things work if you lay off for a long while.
I had not reloaded a round for probably 6 months. My reloading style is to set up for a caliber and bullet, then load thousands of rounds (Dillon 550) of that combination. (Yes, I always test the first five rounds before loading the rest - don't ask me how I learned THAT lesson!)
Since I shoot machine guns, components are usually bought in lots of 5000, powder in 8 lb jugs, and primers in lots of 5000. I really stocked up about 10 years ago and it proved to be one of the best things I have ever done. I have added to inventory when I find something I can, and do, use.....whether I need it or not. I bought an 8 lb jug of 748 a few months ago only because it was there at the LGS and for sale.....didn't need it but will use it up for sure.
In my last manic loading sessions I reloaded a total of some 4000 9mm cast 356402 using ww231. Now all are loaded (at least the ones I haven't shot up) and in nice cartridge boxes. They are in the upstairs closet just waiting to taken out and used!
Then I shifted gears and cast boolits for some time (did some 3000 H&G 51's, bunch of 44 240 swc's, and 45 230gr rn), but then got very busy with work and the house.....didn't load a round for 6 months but just worked from inventory.....but still didn't have time to shoot much either.
When I finally got back to relading, it took a while to get the settings right. The interesting thing is that I forgot was everything has to be perfectly in adjustment for the Dillon 550 to work right. Frustrating when it doesn't work right - feeding primers, powder bar sticking, primer slide assembly sticking, etc.
So over the last week, working here and there, I got the press all set up, adjusted, and off we go! 1000 44 mag 240jhp over 23.5 gr W296. Not quite maximum but still pretty zippy loads. Now all those loaded rounds are in cartridge boxes. 10 years ago I bought 2000 240gr jhp 44 jacketed bullets and had them in an ammo can all that time. It broke my neart but I finally used half of them up. The other 1000 bullets will stay in inventory.
I really had forgotten how much I enjoy this hobby! Having 10 nice 100 round cartridge boxes of 44 mag stacked up with the rest of the 9mm, 380, 45, 38 and 357 loaded ammo in the closet is almost as pleasing to look at than the 7 cord wood pile stacked, covered and ready for winter.
All in all a very pleasant day.

runfiverun
10-26-2014, 09:10 PM
you just reminded me I have some nosler 44 mag bullets here somewhere.
jeez I need to get my stuff in piles closer to each other.

Bzcraig
10-26-2014, 10:20 PM
Having 10 nice 100 round cartridge boxes of 44 mag stacked up with the rest of the 9mm, 380, 45, 38 and 357 loaded ammo in the closet is almost as pleasing to look at than the 7 cord wood pile stacked, covered and ready for winter.

I think we all, to one degree or another, enjoy other parts of reloading besides just the shooting. I too like to see 4-5k rounds stacked neatly in ammo cans in the closet. I also like opening MFRB or LFRB's (how I store) of brass and see them full to the top. Now this is the addiction part, looking around to identify what I don't have, then argue with myself about 'why' I need it. Then after I rationalize why I don't need it, I go to S&S to see if I can find it anyway.

MaryB
10-26-2014, 11:17 PM
And men blame women for shopping to much :bigsmyl2:

BrassMagnet
10-26-2014, 11:33 PM
And men blame women for shopping to much :bigsmyl2:

He's not shopping...he's investing in Other Precious Metals!

BrassMagnet
10-26-2014, 11:35 PM
Other Precious Metals (OPM) is lead wrapped in copper, or plain, in close proximity to a copper-zinc alloy known as brass with a little propellent in between!

BrassMagnet

Harter66
10-27-2014, 11:29 AM
I am not an addict........I left the wheel trim just as I found it.

Man I'm looking forward to getting back to the bench in fact both benches. I haven't looked loaded a round since May and the only casting I've done was to reduce 3 5 gallon buckets of last year's range metal, ww,and salvage, whichever I still have about 300 lbs of burned type table salvage to do, to 2 buckets of ingots and 1 bucket of junk. I even have FRBs that I haven't opened of brass just sitting there .......... I have empty brass from Winnemucca I haven't touched since it went back in the cans........

FISH4BUGS
10-27-2014, 05:42 PM
One thing for sure: if you smelt, cast, size and lube, trim rifle cases, and reload, i am convinced that you will NEVER lack for anything to do. Right now I can think of about 10 things I can do, including smelt well over 2000 lbs of wheel weights. Brass? Trim 1000+ 308's....trim 2000+ 223....size, lube and load more 38's....size and lube 240gr swc 44's....size and lube 230gr rn 45 acp....reload more 308's.....reload more 223's....reload more 45 acp....sort 2 5 gallon buckets of mixed range brass....FINALLY get to test the H&G 51 dual cavity factory hollow point mould that I paid stupid money for two years ago.....it just never seems to end......but that is why we call it our "hobby" right?
Winters sure are long here in New Hampshire.....glad I have something to do......