PDA

View Full Version : Basic lead melter ideas.

spurgon
02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Due to economic circumstances I need a very basic lead melter to dipper cast some bullets. Can I do it on a shoe string with something like a hotplate and a tin can. Help me get started here...
thanks
spurgon

mtgrs737
02-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Why not get a Lee 4 lb. electric melter and a Lyman ladle, they are cheap. I used that set up years ago and it worked great.

I would stay away from tin cans for a pot, they can let go without warning as the bottoms and side seam are just crimped on.

A small cast iron pot from a outdoor store would be reasonable, they have many diff. sizes. Don't forget second hand stores and garage sales.

JSnover
02-07-2008, 11:20 PM
Shop around, you'll find some good equipment for short money. On the other hand, if you're mechanically inclined and can't bear the thought of buying when you could build it yourself, here's a link that might keep you busy for a while;

http://www.artfulbodgermetalcasting.com/

yarro
02-07-2008, 11:32 PM
I started with a small cast iron pit that I bought at a discount store, but you can find them at garage sales or flea markets quite a bit. My big one that I smelt lead into ingots in is a large cast iron pot from a flea market on a turkey frier burner that I bought at a garage sale. I use a single burner propane burner that I bought at harbor freight for heat for the small pot.

-Yarro

madcaster
02-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Coleman stove,cast iron cooking pot-do NOT use aluminium!,a Lyman lead dipper.

Ghugly
02-07-2008, 11:51 PM
The short answer is, yes. But, you will do yourself a favor if you find a small, cast iron pan. Stainless steel will also work. The Lyman lead dipper is a small luxury that is well worth having, small money for a big difference. Aluminum is a danger to cast with because the heat and weight of molten lead can and does cause them to fail. Honestly, I would be concerned about using the can for the same reason. It really doesn't take much of a heat source to do the job. A hot plate is fine, as is a campstove, kitchen stove, campfire, etc.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
02-08-2008, 12:28 AM
It used to be you could be yourself a small single burner from Walmart for 10 bucks and buy a pot to go with it and you were in business. But Wally World has fancied the burner up and now charge closer to 20 bucks for it. By the time you pay for that you can buy yourself one of the simpler Lee bottom pours and not need a dipper.

Unless you can find a used single electric burner, you may be better off just buying a Lee casting pot.

Here's a place to check prices:

http://factorysales.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1202445104.1193=/html/catalog/melters.html

Dave

mroliver77
02-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I use a wally world electric hotplate as a preheater. I do ladle cast small runs of special alloy with it too. I salvaged a two burner propane stovetop out of a camper to include in my new bench. I use cut off two pound coffee cans at times and have never had one let go. I dont know if the naysayers are speaking from experience or projection. Cast iron pots take more heat to do a batch. My cast iroon Lyman pot will not work worth a darn on the hotplate but a thin steel pan works great. Dont overdo it! I too recomend the Lyman ladle.
J

spurgon
02-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I am looking for something quick to cast around 6 lbs of lead for some bore slugs and hopefully a few good bullets for my 32-40. I don't have a lead melting pot proper so I am just trying to get by for the time being. Would one of those small stainless steel mixing bowls work for this on a hotplate?

spurgon

RU shooter
02-09-2008, 11:09 AM
I am looking for something quick to cast around 6 lbs of lead for some bore slugs and hopefully a few good bullets for my 32-40. I don't have a lead melting pot proper so I am just trying to get by for the time being. Would one of those small stainless steel mixing bowls work for this on a hotplate?

spurgon The set up that I use is a elec. 500 W hot plate from wally mart and a small SS bowl and it works fine A regular steel bowl will work fine too ,if you use a bowl make sure it has a nice big flat bottom on it for two reasons one is that it dont flop over and spill hot lead in your lap and second a bigger surface area for more contact for the burner element,The one they sell at wally world now is 750 W I believe ,this set up works very well if your on a budget like me

EDK
02-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I have one of the tiny LYMAN melting pots from some kind of package deal...a mini mag that is rated for 10 pounds. Send me a PM with your address, etc. and you can have it...and send whatever it's worth to you to the site for a donation...and I'll pay the shipping.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Ghugly
02-10-2008, 04:28 PM
I have one of the tiny LYMAN melting pots from some kind of package deal...a mini mag that is rated for 10 pounds. Send me a PM with your address, etc. and you can have it...and send whatever it's worth to you to the site for a donation...and I'll pay the shipping.

:Fire::cbpour::redneck:

Bravo! The best group of people on the web, hands down.

youngun
02-10-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm in the same boat, but I already have a couple of propane burners, a single electric eye, and a Lee dipper. Father just sent me a couple Lee 45 moulds, a 452-190 and 452-252, so I'm just about ready.
I'm holding out to find a good used melter, but for now just scouring the flea markets for cast iron. Not so easy to find any cheaper than new, since everyone thinks it's "antique!"
Same with the corn muffin pans. Anywhere from $15-20, which is about what they are new, right?
Anybody that can point me in a good direction for melters, pots, skimmer, I'd be obliged.

spurgon
02-10-2008, 08:54 PM
EDK

You sir are a class act gentleman.
Thanks you
spurgon

EDK
02-10-2008, 09:35 PM
Sent you a PM and will ship tomorrow AM if the weather doesn't go crazy again.

I'm 59 and got a lot of the toys over 40 years of casting. This is just an imitation of the good things people here have done. I bought the late Dave Breen's 358627 mould and am waiting for it to arrive....a good deal for me on a mould I wanted but missed AND some yankee dollars to keep my favorite site going. You're doing the same thing.

There's a lot of good people here....some just aren't very good with the right words at times....and now I'm beginning to recognize what was behind the gruff old SOBs like Dad and Grandpa.

THANK YOU for helping the site:drinks:

EDK
02-10-2008, 09:45 PM
YOUNGUN,

What do you need in the line of pots? I have some out in a shed, 6 or 8 inch diameters....somewhere...from a melter that I sold, plus a new LYMAN ingot mould from the package deal.

Same deal as spurgon....send me a PM with your wants and address and I'll PM back with what I got; I ship to you and you send a check to Gunload Master and everone is happy!

:cbpour::redneck:

youngun
02-10-2008, 10:49 PM
PM on the way. I love this place.
[Was really just looking for a source for good deals, honest! Might be a good fundraiser fro the site: list what you have to give away, takers send check to CB....]

EDK
02-14-2008, 12:28 PM
Spurgon...mini mag melter is on the way. I looked at one on eBay and somebody's catalog....I haven't bought anything but moulds, powder and primers, AND Original Size VAQUEROS in a long time! You could get a 20 lb LEE from GRAFS or MIDWAY for less than that...and have a lot better unit!

Youngun....unfortunately I can't find the lead pots in the shed. I thought I'd seen them when putting up tillers, etc for the winter, but can't locate them. I'll keep looking, but don't wait on me! Sorry

Ed:cbpour::redneck:

C A Plater
02-14-2008, 01:31 PM
You can get a Harbor Freight 10" dutch oven (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44706) for about $15 and the 12" for about $19. I use the 12" on a "turkey fryer" propane stove for smelting raw WW's but the 10" fits on the Coleman gas stove and is right handy melt a lot of lead for the heavies and six cavities. I probably put about 30 pounds of lead and a full tank of gas in for a big session.