PDA

View Full Version : I may be doing this all wrong!

looseprojectile
02-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Recently got a Ranch dog mold in 44 cal. Then a 50 cal. Lee for the S&W from Midway.
I am lazy. So I experimented. Run the boolits nose up through the Lee size die to seat the GC. By running them nose up I find I can seat the GC with a couple of taps with the ram to square the check. No lube when sizing. Boolits size perfectly and shiny. Tumble lube with LLA once and shoot.
Very good results. Excellent accuracy, little to no leading at 1300 fps in the .500 Smith and the Dan Wesson .445 . Now on to the Marlin micro-groove .44 mag.
YMMV

Life is good

yarro
02-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Only wrong if it don't work for you. The Marlin M.G. .44 Mag that I had only liked real hard bullets.

-Yarro

jonk
02-07-2008, 08:39 PM
I like to THINK that my Lubri-sizer and fancy homemade felix lube and top punches etc. etc. works better than the Lee setup....but it doesn't. In fact, the Lee sizer is better at gas check attachment and general sizing than anything I have tried in the RCBS unit as it self-centers the bullet and eliminates the chance of an off center sizing resulting in an imperfect boolit. So more and more I find myself spraying the bullets with case sizing lube, sizing in the Lee unit, then just using the Lubri-sizer for lubing......and even then, the LLA works great in all my handguns, and great out of about 75% of my rifles too. I have also done some sizing in the lee dies with NO lube and never had leading.

mroliver77
02-07-2008, 09:41 PM
I just noticed some lee size dies in the attic in a drawer. Thats how well I think of them. They seem to be made of sticky steel with a bad finish. I absolutely hate Lee liquid earwax! For boolits anyhow, makes a great bore preserver though. ;)
J