PDA

View Full Version : First, early doe

44man
10-25-2014, 10:36 AM
First day all I seen were pocket deer, the ones to fit a little back pack.
Yesterday evening I heard walking behind me, seen this nice doe but she held back and turned to walk away. I eased to standing and she must have heard something and bolted. She made a mistake to stop at 40 yards and look back, I dropped her with the BFR .475 revolver. More instant drops with this gun then any. She is big and I was on my knees in the garage to get the skin off. Need to go butcher now. 120142

44man
10-25-2014, 10:39 AM
My friend also shot one but it was a "pocket deer." :bigsmyl2:

taco650
10-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Nice!

I've read other posts by you where you mention DRT kills with your BFR .475-have you ever figured out why you get so many with it and not your other guns?

shoot-n-lead
10-25-2014, 08:44 PM
Funny you mention this as my son killed a deer with the 44 special yesterday afternoon and it was dead at the shot, fell straight down on it's feet.

44man
10-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Nice!

I've read other posts by you where you mention DRT kills with your BFR .475-have you ever figured out why you get so many with it and not your other guns?
I figure boolit weight and the velocity of 1329 fps from the 420 gr must be just right to expend energy inside a deer. If a deer does not drop, there will be a huge amount of blood on the ground but no deer I ever hit with it has gone out of sight. It works like a .44 with a hard, heavy boolit but much more energy.
I do not get those results with the .500 JRH using a hard boolit. I believe the JRH and 45-70 with a boolit too hard just punches a hole so they need slowed in a deer by making the nose softer.
There is no way to stop the .475 boolit in a deer and I think I could kill three side by side but there is something about it I have grown to depend on.
I also depend on my SBH and know a decent hit is a dead deer.
Only one other gun does as well, my Hawken with a .54 RB never leaves a deer standing.
Why the .475 works so well with a hard boolit can't be explained because penetration is crazy, 16" of seasoned oak firewood and 37" of soaked phone books. Yet it will do so much damage in a little deer it is scary and with little meat loss. The hole in that deer had pulp around it with hair inside but I lost maybe an inch of meat around the holes.
I would not be afraid to shoot the largest animal either.
Get control of the .475 and it will do anything. I would not want to see what a soft HP would do.
I know too soft with a HP in the 45-70 BFR will destroy half a deer.
Only two calibers I have that work with hard boolits of 20 to 22 BHN are the .44 and .475. The smaller stuff needs expansion as does the larger with more velocity or boolit weight.
The problem with a .357 or so is boolit selection and alloys. Nothing wrong if right. Same with my 30-30, I shoot a hard boolit for fun but would never shoot a deer with that boolit.

DrCaveman
10-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Good lookin deer Jim! That should provide a bunch of nice meals

As i would expect from you, that shot placement is beautiful

So, exit wound was about the same as entry?

Im still waiting for an opportunity to try out my 44 SBH on a buck... I have no doubt about the performance, i just need to find a deer! Rut may start this week around here, that should help

Congratulations!

Rick R
10-26-2014, 01:17 PM
Nice doe, great shot.
I had three bucks walk up to within 20 yards in two days of early antlerless but only saw one doe that I bumped off her bed while walking in to my stand. Too brushy to attempt a shot.
One was a nice little six point the other two were "pocket deer". Now it's archery only till the week of Thanksgiving.

DougGuy
10-26-2014, 01:22 PM
Good shooting Jim and a dang nice deer to boot!

I always did like early kills, less fat easier to work up.

I have been lagged a bit from putting one or more of these big flat fronted Lee boolits through Bambi, last year I didn't hunt because I was too beat to drag one from cancer treatments, this year just opened and we still have deer in the freezer enough to last that needs to be cooked up. I may still get to the woods before it's over even if I hunt meat for somebody else. Feeling and doing MUCH better nowdays!

Got some nice dentures so I am chewing much better, got some Ghost peppers, some Trinidad Scorpion, and some Red Caribbean peppers still on the bush, and a dehydrator. Been a while since I made jerky, it's very tempting right about now! That'll get some meat out of the freezer and maybe make room for some new!

44man
10-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Good lookin deer Jim! That should provide a bunch of nice meals

As i would expect from you, that shot placement is beautiful

So, exit wound was about the same as entry?

Im still waiting for an opportunity to try out my 44 SBH on a buck... I have no doubt about the performance, i just need to find a deer! Rut may start this week around here, that should help

Congratulations!
Yes, same size hole. Sure larger then boolit size but entry and exit were the same.

44man
10-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Good shooting Jim and a dang nice deer to boot!

I always did like early kills, less fat easier to work up.

I have been lagged a bit from putting one or more of these big flat fronted Lee boolits through Bambi, last year I didn't hunt because I was too beat to drag one from cancer treatments, this year just opened and we still have deer in the freezer enough to last that needs to be cooked up. I may still get to the woods before it's over even if I hunt meat for somebody else. Feeling and doing MUCH better nowdays!

Got some nice dentures so I am chewing much better, got some Ghost peppers, some Trinidad Scorpion, and some Red Caribbean peppers still on the bush, and a dehydrator. Been a while since I made jerky, it's very tempting right about now! That'll get some meat out of the freezer and maybe make room for some new!
Well, get better my friend. It hurts to see anyone with a problem. You have my prayers and I am sure from the rest here. We darn sure care about you.

white eagle
10-26-2014, 04:10 PM
Nice going Jim
When does your gun season open and how is the bag limit
I can't hunt with a revo till the week of thanksgiving then muzzleloader
like you a 54 T/C Hawken gave up round balls and shoot a 385 gr REAL that Tom from Accurate Molds made for me
crazy when I hit a deer with that one they kinda run sideways like they are going to tip over and fall within eye site

44man
10-27-2014, 12:05 PM
Nice going Jim
When does your gun season open and how is the bag limit
I can't hunt with a revo till the week of thanksgiving then muzzleloader
like you a 54 T/C Hawken gave up round balls and shoot a 385 gr REAL that Tom from Accurate Molds made for me
crazy when I hit a deer with that one they kinda run sideways like they are going to tip over and fall within eye site
Regular season is Nov 24 to Dec 6 but archery opened Sept 27 until Dec 31. Can't pull the bows anymore though but might get out with the long bow. I don't know the bag limit since we can shoot doe with archery and ML but during buck and doe seasons we can only get 3. If you shoot a buck in gun season you have to shoot a doe before another buck. You can buy extra archery and ML stamps so it is pretty generous. I don't need extra stamps or a license. A few good things about being old.

44man
10-27-2014, 12:15 PM
I don't like early seasons, too warm. I wish they would do like Ohio, PA and go into Jan. Our licenses expire at the end of Dec.
You have to love the .54, I just use a RB. Seen damage as bad as a .300 Weatherby.