PDA

View Full Version : The World's loss

Thumbcocker
10-24-2014, 06:01 PM

This is Brianne. I first saw her wearing a jail uniform and handcuffs over 3 years ago. She was arrested on drug possession charges. The PD and I agreed that she would be a good candidate for the drug court program. During the following 2 years she completed in patient treatment and a structured recovery program. A program that more than a few offenders elected to do prison time instead of participating in.

At one point she was meeting all her requirements of the program, working two jobs, being a young mother and attending community college. She frequently brought her daughter to the courthouse. I teased her by calling her daughter mini-Bri.The child was always spotlessly clean and well cared for. After she had completed the most intense part of the program she would sometimes come by to visit the drug court team.

She met her daughter's father through the AA/NA community and he supported Bri in maintaining her sobriety. A thousand times she could have taken the easy way out and slipped back into usage but she never did. She had plenty of excuses and cop outs he could have used but she never did.

Bri always maintained a sunny disposition and a positive attitude. She assisted others in their recovery. I was proud to sign the motion that resulted in the dismissal of all of her pending charges after she completed the drug court program and had maintained sobriety for an additional year.

She was working at an area drug treatment center and attending college to become an addiction therapist. She was paying back. She regularly did more genuinely Christian things than many who would have written her off as a worthless addict will ever do.

She was killed a week ago in a car crash on I57 when a semi had pulled into a turn around and left the rear of his trailer blocking her lane.

Bri was 23 years old. In that time she looked the devil in the eye and kicked his a$$ every day that she stayed sober. She touched hundreds of lives with kindness and class. A 5 foot something 110 pound hero who had more guts and class then people twice her size.

It is easy to write off all of the millennials and a whole generation as slackers. Not all of them are. It was an honor to know Brianne.

dtknowles
10-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Sorry for your loss, her daughter's and the world's. Thank you for sharing.

Tim

MrWolf
10-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Aye, sorry for your loss. Seems like her courage and kindness were needed upstairs in these troubled times - she got her wings. Hope her daughter remembers her for the goodness and courage.

Bzcraig
10-24-2014, 06:58 PM
You articulated well her worth to you, her family and the community she lived in. Thank you for taking the time to tell us about her and remind us that we all too often, do in fact, write off an entire generation based on the actions of a few.

RED333
10-24-2014, 07:14 PM
So sad to loose a good soul so young,
O Lord please look after this young soul,
Thank you Lord for another day.

LUBEDUDE
10-24-2014, 07:42 PM
My two daughters are addicted to alcohol and fight the demons daily. They touch people's lives in positive ways every day.
There is hope for addicts and they should not all be written off.

I commend Thumbcocker for his support of this young woman. I am sorry for this loss.

starmac
10-24-2014, 08:25 PM
Sorry for your loss.

Lubedude, never lose faith. I don't know that I was ever addicted, but I drank my share (and a few others) every day for several years, only to decide it was too expensive eventually. My youngest daughter and I didn't speak much for several years, till she finally decided to tone it down, we now have a good relationship.

gray wolf
10-24-2014, 09:24 PM
It always hurts to hear stories like this, this time is no different.
Very sorry to hear about the loss.

Sam

Bloodman14
10-24-2014, 11:44 PM
Thumb, I work at a local walk-in health clinic, and meet people like this every day. Just today, a young man in his 40's cleared a legal hurdle and is down to two. I told him I was happy for him, and PROUD that I played a small part in his recovery. Your Miss Brianne was indeed a loss, and I am truly sorry.

obssd1958
10-24-2014, 11:52 PM
Touched my heart...
Add one more to those whose life she affected positively - through you.

nhrifle
10-25-2014, 12:06 AM
I am truly speechless and holding abck tears. I know a young lady like that. Thank you for what you did for Brianne.

Mk42gunner
10-25-2014, 12:12 AM
Thumbcocker,

A very touching eulogy. Please print your post out and get to someone that will save it for her daughter; so she can know a little bit about her mother when she grows up. (I am talking more of the take charge of her life part than the getting in trouble part).

Robert

MaryB
10-25-2014, 12:18 AM
Sad story that someone showing such promise was taken from her daughter and those she was helping so young.

TXGunNut
10-25-2014, 12:20 AM
At times like this we have to remind ourselves that God has a plan for all of us. I understand how you saw Bri as a shining star of hope for folks tormented by addiction and several of us know the battles she won. Please continue to share her story so that her work will continue even though she's gone to a better place. I'll join you in prayer for "Little Bri" tonight. Thanks for sharing Bri's story, it's a reminder to all of us that we have no promise of tomorrow.

WILCO
10-25-2014, 08:02 AM

This is Brianne.

Thanks for sharing her story. Sorry to learn of her passing.

Garyshome
10-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Seems the good ones leave early.

monadnock#5
10-25-2014, 08:32 AM
If Bri didn't have a favored clergyman when she passed, you might consider volunteering to officiate at her services. The depth of your commitment both emotionally and professionally come through loud and clear. It's also very clear that you have wonderful writing skills. I assume that you have an oratory to match.

Thank you for the notification of our loss. I will keep a good thought for all involved.

Lance Boyle
10-26-2014, 09:28 PM
I am sorry for your loss and thank you for what you did for her and others. A Catcher in the Rye is not a bad thing to be. I wish I or someone could have reached my niece, a very troubled young lady.

I like to think that her time was done here and she did all she needed to do to see the lord. May she truly be in a better place and may peace find her loved ones and friends.

Harter66
10-27-2014, 12:30 PM
It seems to often those that would make a truly marked difference in the world are snatched away to soon,yet they always seem to leave a benchmark for others to reach for.

The tragedy will come from those that are struggling that will say "see where it got Bri" they will need to be reminded that she went beyond the shadows and that they will walk in the sun as well.

Pass our well wishes to her family.

akajun
10-27-2014, 12:33 PM
Too bad, I know how hard it is to find one person with the will to pull themselves out of drug addiction and criminal activity.