PDA

View Full Version : Low temp--RCBS Pro Pot

SWANEEDB
10-24-2014, 06:42 AM
Does anyone know if there is a fix to a RCBS lead Pro Pot, mine will now only heat up to about 650 degrees.

dg31872
10-24-2014, 08:03 AM
If I had a problem with my Pro Melt, I would call RCBS. Excellent customer service. The times that I have needed to call them, they were very helpful. The only time they charged me, was for return shipping only.

cheese1566
10-24-2014, 11:18 PM
Call or email tech support. Sounds like a thermostat.

SWANEEDB
10-25-2014, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the replies, We did try to contact RCBS, am waiting for a reply from them.

georgerkahn
10-29-2014, 07:12 PM
Good luck! Last year a ladder falling from hangers in garage snapped the thermostat off my Lyman pot -- it would only heat to about 500*. I unscrewed plate after removing knob and wired a piece of 12ga wire across the thermostat. Bought a PID controller from a CastBoolit Vendor and it has worked superbly since. The thermocouple suspended in the pot is actually less obtrusive than my old Lyman analog thermometer, and I can view the actual temp digitally displayed continuously from my seated/casting position. Just a thought if the good folks at RCBS don't get back to you. I've had nothing but GREAT luck in my contact attempts.
BEST!
georgerkahn

GP100man
10-31-2014, 09:35 PM
No exp with the rcbs pot ,but on my Lyman ya can remove the knob & adjust the thermostat with a small electronics flat screwdriver.
There`s only a few vendors of good parts these days , some are "disposable" or "unserviceable"

If ya work on it please unplug it ! don`t ask how "I" know !!!

GP

SWANEEDB
11-01-2014, 12:51 AM
Am going to send back to RCBS, they'll rebuild the whole top end complete for about $90.

seagiant
11-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Am going to send back to RCBS, they'll rebuild the whole top end complete for about $90.

Hi,
How old is it??? Should be a date on the sticker in front!

georgerkahn
11-02-2014, 08:06 AM
Ever so happy to hear you have a solution, albeit that you have to ship, wait, wait, and wait -- plus send some $$$$. When my "L"-brand broke -- all I wanted was to buy a replacement thermostat, I learned I was out of luck. Hence, I since bought an RCBS -- their customer support is 100% the reason I seek their name/label on purchases. I'd be curious the time-span; do hope you add to this/your post when you get it back?
BEST!
georgerkahn

sagamore-one
11-02-2014, 08:48 AM
Yes, the Pro Melt is adjustable . Small screw driver is all that is needed. I recall counter clock wise raises temp, clockwise lowers temp.