PDA

View Full Version : Great results with 358-125 RF Lee and Trail Boss. First cast slugs

Tallbald
10-23-2014, 06:13 PM
Well I got invited to the range for the morning and had a great time. I had several loads of Trail Boss with varying charges to test out with my Ruger 77/357. Fine results. Using the soft cast (all I had) 125 grain RNFP Lee slugs lubed with Alox Liquid, I was shooting 2 1/2 inch groups with lightest loads. When I reached the higher loads (4.9) I began seeing 1.0 inch groups at 50 yards. I now want to fire lap my barrel. And I plan to polish the feed ramp, and check for need of shimming of the bolt. I relieved the barrel channel two weeks ago. I never tweaked a rifle before and this is going to be interesting. I'm just so really tickled with the 125 grain Lee cast slug...... Don

Frank V
10-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Tallbald

Glad your loads are shooting, 1" sounds great.
I've used Trailboss in handguns & really like it.
You cannot overcharge in the handgun cases I've loaded it in it'll overflow or almost.
The Firelapping should really smooth out the bore. I've done it with two handguns & it made the bores look like a glass mirror. I think you'll like it be sure to follow instructions & your results should be great.
Let us know.

williamwaco
10-23-2014, 06:31 PM
I have not been able to beat 3" at 50 yards with my .357 / 77 with any load I have tried from factory wad cutters to 1600 fps jsps.

I am about ready to give up.

aussie-dave
10-23-2014, 07:51 PM
That's great news about the load. I have the same mould, powder and rifle so I'll be giving that a try.

So far I've been using checked Lee 358-158-swc's and 14.5gr AR2205 for about 1.25" groups @ 50.

Any idea about what fps you're getting?

Cheers, Dave.

Tallbald
10-23-2014, 09:37 PM
I don't have a chronometer and can only guess at the velocity. If it hadn't been such cool weather this morning, I'd have brought the target home to photograph. The dew saturated the Police Sillouette target and I had a difficult time even stapling it the the backer board. I know it's a slow load. I had to raise the cross hairs about 7 inches vertically from where I had sighted my rifle in using factory 158 grain "J" word hollow points. I was shooting using a front end folding bipod, with a rear butt stock sandbag rest. Recoils was very light. My rifle wears a Leupold Rifleman 2-7X scope from Walmart. It was fun. Very fun. Don
I sure hope to find more Trail Boss before this small jug runs out.

PAT303
10-23-2014, 10:08 PM
My 586 standard load is 5grns of TB under 158grn SWC,I like TB because you cannot double charge a case no matter how hard you try or overload a case,a very safe easy powder. Pat

Tallbald
10-23-2014, 10:29 PM
I was so happy after the range session I rolled over and let my loving wife Penny rub my tummy when I got home. I do need to come up with an adjustable rear rest that lets me raise the butt stock higher. I hate to cheat by resting my rifle so completely, but I'm not the best of shots and needed all the advantage I could get.
The only down sides to Trail Boss I've found so far are 1) It smells funny to me when burned and 2) I can't locate any more to buy. If a few flakes fall on the kitchen table when I'm reloading, they get carefully gathered and put back in the hopper. No sweeping those precious tiny donut jewels into the trash can for me. I'm even seriously considering paying a Hazmat shipping fee if I can't find it locally. A 5 pound jug would last me for years..... Don

Late edit. A friend here linked me an article in a well respected cast bullet publication, and I believe I'll pass on the fire lapping. I now think I'd be better off spending my time sorting cases by manufacturer, and sorting cast slugs by weight. Don.

Frank V
10-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Don, both weighing & sorting your bullets & sorting cases by brand will help accuracy.
Don't worry about resting your rifle most use sandbags or a rifle rest when zeroing or shooting for fun or groups.
Most of us do it so I wouldn't worry.

Tallbald
10-29-2014, 10:29 AM
Tried to post a response last night but it wouldn't go, and just sat there with "network trouble". Anyway I appreciate the suggestion Frank. My trouble is I only have my Lee scale that goes to 100grains....hmmm maybe I should try weighing the bullets and cases twice. I missed an old Ohaus 10 10 I'd hoped to buy. For now I have begun sorting cases by manufacturer and finish as I was advised here. It's the best I can do until I run across a scale I can buy with greater capacity. Don

Frank V
10-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Tried to post a response last night but it wouldn't go, and just sat there with "network trouble". Anyway I appreciate the suggestion Frank. My trouble is I only have my Lee scale that goes to 100grains....hmmm maybe I should try weighing the bullets and cases twice. I missed an old Ohaus 10 10 I'd hoped to buy. For now I have begun sorting cases by manufacturer and finish as I was advised here. It's the best I can do until I run across a scale I can buy with greater capacity. Don

Don there are a bunch of good scales out there. I prefer a balance beam scale over electronic scales.
Sometimes you can find them used @ gun shows, just be careful there & make sure they will balance on zero.
I think Lee sells one that goes to 500grs pretty reasonable.
Good luck.
Let us know.

Tallbald
11-06-2014, 08:17 PM
I didn't know Lee made one for over 100 grains. I'l look. Thanks. don

Frank V
11-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Give Lee a look, I think they have a couple of scales.
If not RCBS, Lyman, Redding, & others offer good scales.
No reloader should be without a good set of scales. It's just so much safer.

I just looked on Lee's web & they do seem to only offer the one scale.
I went to www.midwayusa.com & found a Lyman scale for about $59 that goes to 505grs.
That should take care of most reloading, & Lyman is a good brand. But for just reloading a 100gr scale will weigh most powder charges. Weighing bullets, that's different, but for powder you can get by.
Good luck.
Let us know what you decide on

Tallbald
11-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Frank thank you. Used powder scales in my area seem few and far between. I fear i'll just have to.......bite the bullet.....(sorry) and buy new. I just read so many love it-hate it reviews on new scales I hate to spend my hard fought for dollars on what could turn out to be a real disappointment. I am watching for sales to happen soon, with the holidays upon us. Thanks. Don

highpower
11-08-2014, 04:12 PM
The Lee 125 RNFP bullet is a shooter. I have tried it in many guns and loads and it has always performed...just a great design..

ipijohn
11-09-2014, 08:26 AM

I have a Lyman 1500 dual voltage (110/battery) that I bought at Amazon for under $60. Been using it for 2 years on the batteries that came with it. I did try the 110 adapter to see if it works but desided to try and see how long the batteries would last.

mdi
11-09-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm really happy with my Lee 125 RNFP. I size it to .357" for my 9mms, .358 for my .38 Specials and .357 Magnums. I'm gonna powder coat a bunch and size to .357" for them all...

Fer some reason, I can't pass up a deal and own 5 beam scales. I got 3 from ebay, and one from a feller on Castboolits.com, and I believe I got one new. Usually, a used scale is a fairly good but, but like everything bought used, sometimes you get a dud.

Frank V
11-10-2014, 03:22 PM
Don I think you'll enjoy that Lee bullet, I've got several Lee moulds & I really like them.

As far as scales go I've had great results with Redding, Lyman, & RCBS. We can look at scales as a long term investment. A quality set of scales will last years.
Good shooting.