PDA

View Full Version : Sprue scar filer/truer/trimmer ideas?

Finnmike
10-23-2014, 04:15 PM
I'm getting nominal 200-gr 311299s that are falling within 1% of nominal but vary between 199.1 and 200.4 gr, or 1.3 gr of one another. Someone over on the CBA site suggested asking here for ideas on a gizmo for uniforming the boolit bases. Any suggestions other than a fine file welcomed.

geargnasher
10-23-2014, 04:40 PM
I uniform mine with the sprue plate as I cast them. Proper sprue plate tension adjustment, nice flat sprue plate and blocks, and attention to controlling sprue plate temperature via the size of the sprue puddle and timing of the cut are all things that contribute to flat bullet bases and no sprue bumps.

Gear

Pilgrim
10-23-2014, 11:28 PM
If the bases of your boolits have a bump or tear, it is likely your sprue plate is too loose or you are cutting your sprue too soon, or both. If the plate can be rotated fairly easily without flopping, it's about right. Some folks like the sprue plate to fall open by it's own weight. I prefer just a teeny bit tighter. Don't snug it down so tight it is difficult to turn.

ubetcha
10-24-2014, 07:33 AM
I may have asked this question before, but should the sprue plate be adjusted at operating temp or when cold. I personally think it should be at operating temp as the metal will expand when heated, and if adjusted cold, it would be possibly to tight when hot. My 1 1/2 cents anyway

shredder
10-24-2014, 09:33 AM
I may have asked this question before, but should the sprue plate be adjusted at operating temp or when cold. I personally think it should be at operating temp as the metal will expand when heated, and if adjusted cold, it would be possibly to tight when hot. My 1 1/2 cents anyway

I adjust while at casting temperature as well. I have found that the adjustment done at room temp does not stay when things heat up and it is too loose at casting time. There is my two pennies worth.

RED333
10-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Yep,I adjust hot as well, I am a counter, meaning I count time, most times a count of 3 of 4 is what I use before I cut the sprue.

olafhardt
10-25-2014, 03:35 AM
Sometimes I have just stroked a boolit over a flat board to polish the base.

1johnlb
10-25-2014, 04:23 AM
http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28

This is the only gizmo that I'm aware of for boolit base uniforming.