PDA

View Full Version : Utah elk hunters get ripped off.

CastingFool
10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
http://www.wideopenspaces.com/stolen-elk-alarms-utah-hunters/

HarryT
10-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Looks like bears got them.

dilly
10-23-2014, 01:34 PM
With cut ropes and pickup truck tracks?

I know in our area the department of conservation has a lot of power and they could come down very hard on someone who did something like that.

starmac
10-23-2014, 01:39 PM
Pretty ballsy.

BrassMagnet
10-23-2014, 02:05 PM
Pretty ballsy.

Likely a felony.

starmac
10-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Possible death sentence, if caught in the act. lol

Iron Whittler
10-23-2014, 03:25 PM
I'll second starmac. Down here in S.W. Louisiana, to get caught in the act would be EXTREMLY HAZARDOUS to one's health. Could possibly develop a real bad case of lead poison.

starmac
10-23-2014, 03:33 PM
Unless things have changed drasticlly in Lowsiana or east Texas, it was extremely dangerous to get caught running someones trotline, much less stealing deer.
Back when I was just a kid, an old guy that worked for my dad shot a game warden for trying to take his deer. lol

Springfield
10-23-2014, 03:45 PM
The reporter could use some lessons in grammar.

"Recently, in Lyman Lake, Utah, just south of the Utah/Wyoming border, a hunting trip quickly turned sour after two men shot two elk that were stolen from their hunting camp."

So these guys shot two stolen Elk? That's what it says.

How about ..two men shot two Elk, that were later stolen from their hunting camp".

This type of stuff keeps showing up in my kid's school books too, pisses me off.

Multigunner
10-23-2014, 08:34 PM
Elk poaching began to be a problem when butchers realized that the flavor of meat comes mostly from the fat. They found that ground elk when mixed with fat from beef could be passed off as ground beef. Very poached Elk then represented a couple of thousands of dollars worth of hamburger that the butcher shops did not have to report on their taxes.
Don't know if this sort of scam is still operating, but it was in the news for awhile some years ago.

TXGunNut
10-23-2014, 09:09 PM
That's pretty low, nope, extremely low. Be pretty hard to convict a hunter for bagging a varmint on an elk hunting trip if I was on that jury.

runfiverun
10-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Lyman is in Wyoming about half way between Rock Springs and Evanston, Lyman lake is south of there.
still in Wyoming but in the Uintah mountain range.
they had better not have shot an elk there on a Utah tag and would have had to have been further south than that.

if they were stolen I'd point towards someone from Coalville [west of there] being in the area, or from the Ute rez. that's just a bit south of the hunting area. [they are pretty famous for that kind of stuff]
I didn't profile them they earned it.

ReloaderEd
10-24-2014, 02:13 AM
Poaching of game animals hanging in camps happens quite often.
I hunted in the Blue Mountains of Oregon in rhe 70's and know of two instances of camp poaching. Borh wirh armed intruders wirh people in rhe camp. In both cases the owners of the game animals didnt argue or resist but got enough information for the State Police to arrest the perpitrators.
We always took our Elk straight to the cooler as it was usually too warm for the Elk meat. Thus we never lost any animals. Putting up a fight is stupid and costly in court.