PDA

View Full Version : Cva wesson rifle

washbuster
10-22-2014, 01:48 AM
Does anyone have any loading data for this rifle.I have looked all over the internet and can't come up with anything.The rifle Is a CVA .50 WESSON muzzle loader percussion rifle.This rifle has the false muzzle with it .I have been told conical work very good but have no proof.Any help is great.Thanks WASHBUSTER119878

starmac
10-22-2014, 03:32 AM
Interesting looking rifle. What twist is it??

mooman76
10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
I couldn't find anything specific on the CVA model but it looks like a weak copy of the Wesson Box Lock rifle. CVA had a generic pamphlet they sent out with M/Ls that had a chart for loads you could use. For the .50 max is 85gr fff and 90gr for ff. I'd start with about 50gr and move up in 5 gr. increments to find the best load or load that suits you. The rifle I saw on line had a 1/48 twist which means it should shoot conicals reasonably well as long as they aren't big but your gun may have a different twist. Not too hard to figure out twist with a tight patch/cleaning jag combo, mark the rod and push it in. If it does half a turn in 24" you have a 1/48 twist.

Fly
10-22-2014, 11:51 AM
You could send it to me & I will figure it out for you.

(wink) Fly

Bullshop
10-22-2014, 01:01 PM
I had the same rifle at one time. It was an excellent high quality rifle. Those rifles were issued with a Lee mold for a conical boolit that looks like a hollow base wad cutter. I believe I still have the mold that came with my rifle. Trying to remember way back it seems like my target load was 80gn Goex FG. When properly loaded the rifle was extremely accurate and I placed in the money in any match I entered with that rifle.
I now have a custom built sporting version of the same rifle in 54 cal. If you might be remotely interested in trading I might consider it as well and we can chat about it in PM.

washbuster
10-22-2014, 10:41 PM
might you still have the mold,just checked it has 1 in48 twist