PDA

View Full Version : .400 Whelen

Blkpwdrbuff
10-21-2014, 01:17 AM
Ok Guys,
Being the odd caliber/wildcat nut that I have become I have developed the urge for a .400 Whelen.

I need one of these like I need a lobotomy(maybe I do!!!!).

I see it as being mainly a cast bullet shooter.

What are all of your ideas concerning bullet moulds, weights and designs.

I have read the articles about the .400 by Michael Petrov so I know the specifics on the correct cartridge/chamber dimnsions.

I appreciate all of your opinions.

Blkpwdrbuff:castmine:

Nobade
10-21-2014, 07:23 AM
Were it me building one, which I hope to eventually, I would use a standard 40 caliber BPCR barrel blank rather than a 405 winchester blank like the originals were made on. I would have my reamer ground to be correct for this size barrel. This way I could use all manner of available 40 caliber moulds and not be limited to just a few. Otherwise, you know all the details to look at for the rest already.

-Nobade

lotech
10-21-2014, 07:24 AM
I've had a .411 Hawk. While it's not interchangeable with the .400 Whelen, the .411 is ballistically about the same thing as the Whelen. I never fired anything but cast bullets, using NEI moulds ranging in weight from about 325 to 375 grains (don't remember the weights exactly without looking up old notes). I used an FN Commercial Mauser action.

Recoil became significant around 1,800 fps or so, particularly with the heavier bullets. I did a lot of work with this cartridge about 12 years ago, then lost interest and eventually got rid of everything. I've since found a replacement of sorts in a Browning 1885 in .405 Winchester.

There's an article with extensive load data in an old HANDLOADER magazine (#227, Feb. 2004). Cast bullet load data for the .411 Hawk should work fine in the .400 Whelen, except perhaps for maximum loads, but usual precautions apply.