PDA

View Full Version : Tis the season

starmac
10-18-2014, 04:49 PM
For the northern lights that is. They were out in all their glory last night. The kids and grandkids that just moved up from Florida can't get over them, and had to text the wife at 12:40 this morning to let her know they were dancing in the skies.

For all you folks that have never seen them when they are out in full colors, you are missing one of our great sights.

nhrifle
10-18-2014, 08:32 PM
From time to time here, we will get a tinge of green or purple in the sky, but nothing like the pictures I have seen.

starmac
10-18-2014, 08:59 PM
The wife is nuts about them and is starting to get some great pictures of them. A guy can stay up all night watching them when they really get going, pretty easy. lol

Lots of Japanese tourist come here. They have a belief that if a child is concieved while watching the northern lights, it will be much more intelligent. lol I don't know about all that, but it doesn't matter to some of them where they are when the lights come out, they will get right to it. lol

Cowboy_Dan
10-20-2014, 01:36 AM
We can see some decent ones here, but our best are probably less than your worst.

wlc
10-20-2014, 01:48 AM
They are the most amazing natural light show God could've created. We love them, though we aren't treated to them quite as often as you are starmac. Guess living further north has its perks besides that gosh awful cold ya'll get in the winter.

Bzcraig
10-20-2014, 02:01 AM
Though I'm not certain it will happen, seeing the lights in person is on my top 5 list.

starmac
10-20-2014, 02:39 PM
For what ever reason, some years are much, much better for their displays as far as color and dancing, even how long they dance. So far this year is looking to be a great year for the lights.

dtknowles
10-20-2014, 05:23 PM
When I was in Middle School in Maine, I remember an awesome display while I was walking to the School for a dance, Cold, Clear, Winter, Night, Scintillating Colored Aurora Borealis display. The walk did not seem as cold with those lights.

Tim

MaryB
10-21-2014, 12:33 AM
I have seen them down to 30 degrees on my southern horizon here in SW Minnesota, was the mid to late 80's if my memory is right. We have a large active sunspot moving into a geo effective position in the next few days so be on the alert. Northern states could see aurora tonight if things go right.