PDA

View Full Version : Nicely Done S & W

Bad Water Bill
10-18-2014, 01:57 AM
About a month ago I purchased a NEW 638 and knew immediately I had problems.

Called S & W and talked to Don D who agreed something definitely was wrong and issued me the FED/EX paperwork for a return to factory.

That was on Sept 15 and today My custom shop repaired 638 is back home again.

One month complete round trip in todays world deserves a BIG "WELL DONE" in my book.

Porterhouse
10-18-2014, 06:09 AM
That's not bad. But in the past, like 5~10 years ago, I sent guns back and returned just over a week. Not just once but several times.

10x
10-18-2014, 08:03 AM
It is of concern that a gun has left the factory that is not functioning correctly.
There was a day when one bought a S & W and knew it was going to work without any problems at all.

osteodoc08
10-18-2014, 08:13 AM
I had a brand new 586 that I sent back for light primer strikes and mentioned a boogered screw and some finish issues. It showed back up in 2 weeks with light primer strikes fixed, refinished and had the most awesome bluing. Screw replaced. Definitely a keeper. Hillary hole and all.

Politics aside, Smith has always treated me right.

CGT80
10-19-2014, 12:16 AM
It is good to hear that Smith has been so good. I must have got the one or two who can make a bad name for themselves. About a year ago, I emailed them and stated that I needed to buy a new cap/screw for the end of the extractor rod on my 460 XVR. The rod was fine, but I forgot to locktite that screw when I cleaned the gun, and it came off while using it sometime. They said it had to be fit to the gun, in the email. Right then I knew something was off. I received a part a couple weeks ago................a nice shinny stainless ejector rod....................wait for it..........................WITHOUT the stupid little screw that I needed. It was very nice of them to ship that part no charge, but whoever took my email didn't know what they were doing. They didn't even seem to be able to send me a diagram so I could pick out a part number, and I couldn't locate a diagram.

I emailed, after waiting on hold, on the phone for 20 minutes with no end in sight.

Now Midway has an option to backorder that part, so I might just buy it from them and hope it comes in, or call and wait on the phone with Smith.

I love the revolver. The single action trigger is a dream and it fits my medium sized hands like a glove, despite it's big size, but customer service was lacking for me. All I needed was a fancy screw.