PDA

View Full Version : "Universal" powder .38 Special favorite loads with 158 gr. LSWC?

Tallbald
10-16-2014, 06:16 PM
Once I get some other questions straightened out I will begin using up about 500 sized and primed .38 Special cases (mixed make----I'll separate as I've been taught here) to load "universal" powder behind Missouri Bullet Company hard cast 158 grain LSWC. Anyone care to share their accuracy findings within the manufacturers load data? I'm not looking for heavy loads. Just fun lighter ones that the whole family can enjoy. Thanks everyone. Don

rsrocket1
10-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Hodgdon's "Universal" Clays is very close to Alliant Unique in terms of performance. Fortunately for you, the Clays line of powders (Clays, International Clays and Universal Clays) burn thoroughly even when loaded below optimum pressure. Yes, they can be smokey, but they leave very little residue and flakes with underpressured loads. On the other hand, Red Dot, Bullseye, Unique are not only smokey, but leave lots of soot and unburned powder. Neither is really bad because you are cleaning your gun anyway and in a revolver, there are no gas operated parts to foul up.

With the little Universal I've used, I've found that although Hodgdon recommends 4.0g as the "start load", you can go down to as low as 3.5g under a 158g bullet and still get a not-too-smokey light recoiling load. At that charge weight, Unique got really smokey and left a lot of unburned flakes on the ground in front of the shooting bench. I shoot my 38's in a Ruger .357 magnum and prefer 5.0g for a nice stout load which is well above 38 special specs but still far below .357 magnum pressures.

You would have better performance with 3.0g Red Dot, Clays or Titewad, but in these days you can't be too pickey with your powders.

Good luck

Tallbald
10-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Rsrocket1 thank you. Yeah I can't be too picky with finding powder. I've searched for Trail Boss everywhere within about 100 miles of home, as well as in eastern TN last weekend on a mini-vacation but had no luck. This particular jug of powder was bought new by me about 15 years ago on the advise of the dealer I got it from. I will shoot in a Ruger GP100, SP101, and a Ruger 77/357 carbine (chambering one round at a time in the carbine). I'm more interested in accuracy and low recoil than anything else. My wife and other family enjoy powder-puff loads too (I enjoy that the slugs don't get buried so deep and are easy to find for re-use too ). Don

rsrocket1
10-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I would recommend "working down" your loads. Start at the "starting load" of 4.0g and work down by 0.2 or 0.3g until you get undesirable results (too smokey, too inconsistent). You should still be considerably above the "danger level" of a stuck bullet. Even if you do get a stuck bullet while testing, you are experienced enough to recognize this (almost no recoil but exhaust between the cylinder and forcing cone). You simply drive the bullet back out of the barrel with a brass rod and hammer/mallot. Make a note not to use this load with your family members.

I understand the desire for low recoil loads in centerfire guns. I make them for my kids when they were younger and they appreciated it. Now they want maximum "smoke and fire" :).

35remington
10-17-2014, 12:02 AM
When working up your "light fun loads" with Universal powder, try over the chronograph with powder near bullet, then powder near primer. You will then discover why I do not particularly care for Universal with light or even standard loads in the 38 Special case, nor any other relatively long straightwall case run at pressure levels comparable to the 38 Special.

Those who rhapsodize about the "cleanliness" of Universal overlook ballistic consistency. I do not.

Before objection to this post is considered, try what I suggest first....then honestly report your findings. I will be all ears, but hold off on your commentary until then.

Digital Dan
10-17-2014, 09:45 AM
Always found good times with lead bullets in a .38 fueled by about 3 grains of Bullseye. Your mileage and scales may vary.

Mumblypeg
10-17-2014, 10:52 AM
3grns. of Win 231 is what I shoot. Works for me.... same thing Winchester puts in their target loads.

facetious
10-21-2014, 02:09 AM
When working up your "light fun loads" with Universal powder, try over the chronograph with powder near bullet, then powder near primer. You will then discover why I do not particularly care for Universal with light or even standard loads in the 38 Special case, nor any other relatively long straightwall case run at pressure levels comparable to the 38 Special.

Those who rhapsodize about the "cleanliness" of Universal overlook ballistic consistency. I do not.

Before objection to this post is considered, try what I suggest first....then honestly report your findings. I will be all ears, but hold off on your commentary until then.

What other powders have you try'ed this with? Are there powders that you have found that are less position sensitive?

35remington
10-21-2014, 12:42 PM
Titegroup for one.

All powders are position sensitive to some degree, but Universal is extremely so in light loads. A bith ironic considering the fast powders are often claimed to be less position sensitive.

Taint always so.