PDA

View Full Version : Lead levels and heart attack

fatelk
10-15-2014, 10:55 PM
Has anyone seen this article supposedly linking high-side-of-normal lead levels with increased risk of heart attack and stroke? http://www.webmd.com/news/20060918/lead-in-blood-safe-levels-too-high

If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it. They seem to be saying that people with some yet perfectly normal levels of lead (about 4 to 10) have significantly higher risk of heart and stroke death than those with very low (about 2 or less). What do you all think; flawed study or something to be concerned about?

The reason I found it was that I had mine checked. Five or six years ago when I last had it checked it was about 5, now it's around 50% higher. Still well within normal but the increase does concern me a little. The doctor wasn't concerned at all so I'm really not worried, but I am curious.

knifemaker
10-15-2014, 11:19 PM
I would think that your doctor would be the best source of information. Explain to him what you read and get his opinion on it. Most doctors get and read updated medical news journals and a better source of medical information then a bunch of us laymen.

Cowboy_Dan
10-15-2014, 11:50 PM
After reading the blurb you linked, it does not seem to me that the higher lead levels are casual, but rather occured in people who already had higher risk for cardiovascular problems. It would be interesting to see the full article and see just what their experimental methods were.

starmac
10-16-2014, 12:31 AM
Why sure man, it about wiped out the condors and if it weren't caught just in the nick of time, ducks and geese would just be a memory.

popper
10-16-2014, 10:19 AM
another expensive and propagandized study. nanny will probably pick up this one.

fatelk
10-16-2014, 10:46 AM
I suspect you're right and I'd like to believe that, but if there's any truth to it I would certainly like to understand that as well.

it looks like an older study (2006), but it's the first I've ever heard of a link between lead levels and heart disease. I'm not the most 'medically literate' person around but the older I get the more medically aware I want to be for my own health.

Idz
10-16-2014, 10:48 AM
Statistical studies are usually flawed. There seems to be an assumption if the math is correct then the conclusion is valid. An example: 98% of the soldiers who died on D-day drank coffee that morning, therefore coffee is fatal. Math is correct, conclusion is nonsense.

Freightman
10-16-2014, 11:27 AM
I am 75 and go to a cardiologist every six months, been casting as long as some of you have been, worked in a smelter that had a by product of lead. I ck. up as no problems with my heart and no build up in arteries but it is genes that pre-disposes y ou to heart attacks and stroke. I also eat what I want but this isn't medical advice everyone is different.

searcher4851
10-16-2014, 12:18 PM
The answer is listed in the article itself where it says:

"Those with higher blood lead levels were more likely to be older, black or Mexican American, male, and smokers.
They were also more apt to have low income, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and no high school degree."

It's a flawed conclusion from a statistical analysis. Older people, people with high blood pressure, and smokers, are always going to die in higher numbers than those without those conditions.

"the researchers found that those with blood levels greater than 2 mcg/dL were more likely to die of heart disease, heart attack, or stroke -- but not cancer" So should we conclude that higher levels of lead protect you from cancer? It makes as much sense as their conclusion does.

It's just more junk science aimed at scaring people.

dakotashooter2
10-16-2014, 01:29 PM
I no longer pay any attention to "health" poles. In most of them 5-10 years after the results are published another pole comes out stating exactly the opposite.

geargnasher
10-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Sounds like a new DSM-V diagnosis as an excuse to push sales of some new medication.

Gear

Blacksmith
10-16-2014, 02:48 PM
The answer is listed in the article itself where it says:

"Those with higher blood lead levels were more likely to be older, black or Mexican American, male, and smokers.
They were also more apt to have low income, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and no high school degree."

It's a flawed conclusion from a statistical analysis. Older people, people with high blood pressure, and smokers, are always going to die in higher numbers than those without those conditions.

"the researchers found that those with blood levels greater than 2 mcg/dL were more likely to die of heart disease, heart attack, or stroke -- but not cancer" So should we conclude that higher levels of lead protect you from cancer? It makes as much sense as their conclusion does.

It's just more junk science aimed at scaring people.

That is what I thought at first but a closer reading of the article shows:

After adjusting for risk factors such as ethnicity, income, education level, and urban living, the researchers found that those with blood levels greater than 2 mcg/dL were more likely to die of heart disease, heart attack, or stroke -- but not cancer.

So they claim to have taken that into account. Only a review of the actual study will show if it was done right.

Freightman
10-16-2014, 04:43 PM
Rather die of heart attack, dad died of cancer not present, mother died of heart attack lots easier.

leeggen
10-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Fatelk be honest with yourself, you say your not concerned but you are looking up imfor. about the lead and heart attack. If dr said no problem then forget it and go. Most dr thaat find people with excessivly high lead levels get right after you to find out why you have it.
Life is good when you cast and reload.
CD

Plate plinker
10-17-2014, 09:29 PM
Rather die of heart attack, dad died of cancer not present, mother died of heart attack lots easier.
Absolutely cancer sucks the big one.

MarkS
10-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Family history of heart disease and I just buried a cousin I grew up with who at 57 was only 6 days older than me. That said my heart is okay for now and I'll keep casting.

fatelk
10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Fatelk be honest with yourself, you say your not concerned but you are looking up imfor. about the lead and heart attack. If dr said no problem then forget it and go. Most dr thaat find people with excessivly high lead levels get right after you to find out why you have it.
Life is good when you cast and reload.
CD

While I respect doctors for their training, knowledge and experience, they are still human. They don't know everything and they do make mistakes. I will never again solely and blindly rely on what a doctor says. I think it's very important to research and understand your own health issues.

Being informed will either give you more confidence in your doctor, or prompt you to find a different one.

starmac
10-18-2014, 12:39 AM
The only thing I know for sure, is something is probably gonna keel me someday.

jcwit
10-18-2014, 12:45 AM
Yup, that's a fact!

Multigunner
10-18-2014, 01:52 AM
Well 158 gr of lead introduced into the heart muscle can cause cardiac arrest.

osteodoc08
10-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Heart disease is the #1 killer in the USA for older adults.

This study is flawed based on inclusion/exclusion criteria and doesn't represent a true cross section, which is readily admitted. My personal take is do what you like and take appropriate precautions to safeguard against lead.

Cancer does sick a big one, had to tell a 28yo female patient today (that just got married) she likely has ovarian cancer. I can't mention specifics, but will go ahead and throw out a prayer request.