PDA

View Full Version : Another 22LR Story

wv109323
10-15-2014, 09:28 PM
I was at Gander Mountain in Charleston,WV to browse around. I kinda was looking for a CZ 75B and their price. To my amazement they had some 22LR out on the shelf behind the counter. They had CCI Mini-Mag for$8.99 per hundred and Federal Auto Match for 19.89 per a box of 325. The last Auto-Match I bought at Wal-mart about 5-6 years ago was around 15-16 dollars for the same. I picked up a box to try in a few firearms.
They had maybe 1500 rounds of the CCI and about 7 boxs of the Federal.
At the local public ranges there are several 22LR spent cartridges on the firing line.. Are things returning to normal?

Garyshome
10-15-2014, 09:30 PM
I hope so.

OeldeWolf
10-15-2014, 10:48 PM
not around my neck of the woods, they are not. .22lr is still pretty much unobtainium.

nagantguy
10-15-2014, 10:56 PM
Normal is I fear a long long gone memory.

Alvarez Kelly
10-15-2014, 11:03 PM
I bought 325 count Federal AutoMatch for $20.99 today at my LGS. I think it's getting a little better out there.

monadnock#5
10-15-2014, 11:04 PM
You were smart to get it when the getting was good. The situation here is dismal.

TCFAN
10-15-2014, 11:54 PM
I bought 3 boxes of CCI standard velocity 100 round count per box yesterday at Wall-Marts for 8.00 dollars a box with tax. 8 cents per round is still way to high for my kind of 22RF shooting.This was the first 22 rim fire ammo that I have found at Wall-Marts in almost 2 years..................Terry

nemesisenforcer
10-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Got a brick at a screaming price the other day and picked up some (somewhat) overpriced new hot shot rounds from Aguila today along with an overpriced box of 22 mag but the guy was cool so I didn't mind.

Springfield
10-16-2014, 12:25 PM
Bought a .410 double for the kids yesterday at an LGS I haven't been to lately. A nice older Crescent. They have been shooting CAS matches with a single barrel but have been complaining about it taking to long to load compared to a double. I was kidding with the guy when I asked if they had any .22 and was shocked when he said, actually, we do. He had 500 count boxes of Aguila for only 56.00 a box! So I declined. Had 4 bricks sitting there, said they can get it with no problem but people haven't been asking for it lately. Guess we all assume he doesn't have any. A little too steep for me, though. When I go pick up the shotgun I'll see if they can't come down on that price any.

parson48
10-16-2014, 02:12 PM
Both Gander Mt and Dick's had plenty of .22 here in Indianapolis a month or so back, but it seems to have dried up again.

Moral: When ya see it, ya better but it!

thekidd76
10-16-2014, 02:16 PM
No better here either…been almost 2 years since I could walk into a store and buy a brick of .22.

runfiverun
10-16-2014, 03:41 PM
Someone has it I pick enough emptys up off the bench tops to keep
me in 223 jackets.
and have been getting them the whole time

farmerjim
10-16-2014, 04:22 PM
They had them at my LGS yesterday.But no pistol or shotgun powder.

southpaw
10-17-2014, 12:56 AM
Received the weekly email from my main enabler last week that he was having his customer appreciation day this past saturday ( I had to work). He said he had lots of 22's. He is only open thurs, fri and sat. Got his email again on weds and he said that he still had 22's. I am tempted to go and pick up brick but I have plenty and I would likely on other things than I should. But then again, I do have some buddies that are looking for some...

Jerry Jr.

Ps I have bought more 22's since this drought started than I did the year before. Tho, it should be noted that most were for friends and that I was not looking for them, I just stumbled on them at my main gun shop. I had the dumb luck of buying a bunch a few years before they became a high demand item. Now, most of the time I pass on them unless someone ask me to pick some up for them. Most of the time I will, if I like them that is. I do hope it is letting up tho.

Ehaver
10-17-2014, 09:46 PM
Both Cabelas and Bass pro have .22 on the shelf, CCI for $9/100.

I have a LGS that has had .22 and powder/primers/bullets this whole time. All at reasonable prices.. I just found this out a few months ago...

MtGun44
10-19-2014, 02:09 AM
Good that there are some available, but the prices around here are 10 to 15 cents per round and
I am doing my part by not buying any at that ridiculous price.

Bill

shaggybull
10-19-2014, 02:18 AM
I talked to a guy that was in Edmonton a week ago said the Cabela's up there had a pallet of 22 lr in 500 round bricks.

375supermag
10-19-2014, 09:28 AM
Hi...

I passed on some .22lr at one of the LGS last weekend because I had several thousand in reserve.

Wednesday my son showed me a new fixed stock(with a longer length of pull, a rail mount and a new holosight that he just got for his H&K .22lr semi-auto carbine.

I stopped by the LGS and all the bulk packs and 100 and 50 round boxes of .22lr were sold out. all they had was .22 shotshells.

I went to another LGS and found some of the plated HP .22lr Federals in 40 round boxes for $2.49 a box with a 5 box limit. so I got 5 for my son...200 rounds ought to be enough to zero his holosight without him dipping into my stash.

I made it clear to him that he was going to have to start helping keep the ammunition lockers stocked up if he wants to shoot as much in the future as he has in the past. He has been pretty good about buying his own centerfire ammo for the cartridges I don't reload for, but this semi-auto carbine can use up a 500 round bulk pack of .22lr in less time than it takes to tell about it. It will only get worse if he buys this hi-cap drum mag he keeps telling me about.

I'm pretty happy that ammunition purchases are the only bone of contention(and its a pretty small one, at that) that we have. Most guys his age (nearly 21) are, it seems, in trouble with the law, out of work or involved with unsavory types and/or habits. He works full-time, as much as 60+ hours a week and spends most of his time with a few friends working on each others cars and trucks.

I think his mother and I did a pretty good job of keeping him on the straight and narrow. it seems his favorite past times are hunting and shooting.

HeavyMetal
10-19-2014, 11:38 AM
was in Bass Pro's here in Ontario, CA Friday night, dinner with friends, and wanted to see if they had 22 and IMR 4198.

No 4198 but saw winchester 500 round bricks, limit one to a customer, for 44.95 a brick. It was moving, slowly, but it was moving.

Didn't buy any because I think that's just to darn high particularly since that's stuff was 19 a brick 2 years ago and hasn't gotten any better performance wise to justifiy the number being asked.

KCSO
10-19-2014, 11:52 AM
At the local Cabela's the 22 Thunderbolts are down to 2.35 a box of 50 and they are having them in stock on a regular basis. CDNN has them for $50 a carton and I hear they are getting stuck with them.